Running and Yoga

Options
I run a few days a week and want to add in yoga. I used to go to a yoga class when I had a gym membership but that was years ago. Money and time are tight so I no longer belong to a gym. Can anyone recommend a yoga dvd? I'm looking for something that will help me stretch out my tight muscles and help with flexibility. Any suggestions?

Replies

• TTHdred
    TTHdred Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I like the p90x yoga video. 90 minutes and they cover everything
  • jfsears
    jfsears Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I like Jillian miachels yoga meltdown
  • matt2442
    matt2442 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    doyogawithme.com
  • mrsmark2010
    mrsmark2010 Posts: 220
    Options
    p90x yoga is great, so is fountain of youth yoga (it's from Tony Horton's One on One series), it about 45-50 minutes. You can also find some good workouts on youtube.

I have this one saved, but haven't done it yet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLi93EIHx5o&feature=related
  • josavage
    josavage Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Another option is go to to the library and check some DVDs out. That way you can try different ones.
  • LHnH4L
    LHnH4L Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Check out Tara Stiles on Youtube. She's awesome. And it's free :)
  • bzmommy34
    bzmommy34 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    yogaglow.com - 15 day free trial, $18.95 a month after that. There are tons of different instructors for every type of yoga from beginner through advanced.
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    I got a yoga app on my iphone "simply yoga" where you can do 20, 40, or 60 minute routines, and customize your own. It does the trick, and I like being able to make a routine that fits my time frame and works/avoids the parts of my body I want to.

In the past I have done Rodney Yee videos. I like his style and pacing, and he has shorter routines. I would never do it if I had to do more than 20 minutes every time! I am busy and also find most yoga videos super cheesy and annoying. He doesn't bug me for some reason.

I have heard great things about yogaglow.com as well. If you are going to do it often, it is probably worth it.
  • Cynkane
    Cynkane Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I like the P90X Yoga, Jillian's Yoga Meltdown and Bob Harper's Inside Out Method Yoga for the Warrior.
  • Sqeekyjojo
    Sqeekyjojo Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Can't beat going to a class where the teacher can correct you before you hurt yourself.
  • FindingSamMon
    FindingSamMon Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Bob Harper Yoga for the Warrior
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Can't beat going to a class where the teacher can correct you before you hurt yourself.

This

Good form is everything. Look into your local park and rec usually there are cheap classes.
  • NotBonJovi
    NotBonJovi Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I am a runner and I have the P90x Yoga. Its even available on YouTube if you search it.
  • kam81
    kam81 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • cristina9980
    cristina9980 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the ideas. I may check out the Rodney Yee videos or the Jillian ones. I work full time and have a two year old son at home...I don't have 90 minutes to spare on a yoga routine. If I had 90 extra minutes my house might actually get clean :wink:
  • vegantriathlete
    vegantriathlete Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I found a Jillian Michaels 35 minute yoga workout: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5nyrD4eM64
    It's really a workout and less a yoga practice, but it's still good. If you're not familiar with the poses, it's important to learn to do the poses properly. Going to one or two hatha or yin classes would be useful before trying a video.
    No matter what you do, prepare to be sore the first few times you do it. It's a full-body workout and so good for you. Good luck!
  • bfitjill
    bfitjill Posts: 11
    Options
    Bob Harper Yoga for the Warrior
    I hate yoga sooooo much, but I love that one
  • SkagitYogini
    SkagitYogini Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    yogadownload.com has podcasts and some free yoga classes on line. They have classes specifically for runners. Also, if you use iTunes, search for Sage Rountree Yoga. She has podcasts for runners. Both of these podcast classes are usually 20 minutes in length.
  • iwantwow
    iwantwow Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    jillian michaels ,bob harper .....
  • LWHershey
    LWHershey Posts: 6
    Options
    I use my public library in Fairfax County, Virginia, which has a pretty good collection of DVDs on yoga, tai chi, qi gong.
    I can go to the online catalog for a larger selection (which I can ask to be reserved and held for pick-up) or stop by the branch location which has a good, but more limited, selection.