Bake sale suggestions for Sick Kids Foundation

Options
heathersmilez
heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
I am participating in a bake-sale at work to raise money for the Sick Kids Foundation Heat Wave Volleyball Tournament (July 10, 2010 Toronto lakeshore). I would usually bring one of my low-fat creations to pot-lucks at the office, but I don’t think low fat food will sell very well at the bake sale – actually, I know it won’t even though I tried suggesting some of my creations like Strawberry Shortcake Sliders and Cherry Yogurt Fluff (yes, those 2 have been posted with PHOTOS in the recipe section on MFP)

So temptation aside, does anyone have a classic they know would sell well? It can be as fatty as you wish, live vicariously though the idea of others eating them and helping kids!

Thanks in advance for the recipes!

And hey, it can’t hurt to put my online fundraising link up ;)

Please support Sick Kids by sponsoring me in their 2010 Heat Wave Volleyball Tournament. Even $1 helps! http://my.e2rm.com/personalPage.aspx?registrationID=894930

heatwave2.jpg

Replies

• baggins706
    baggins706 Posts: 310
    Options
    Brownies, cookies, cupcakes, rice krispie treats, trail mix and lemonade!
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Yes, Rice Krispy's popped into my head yesterday. They are usually fun and nostalgic, its been years for most people since they had them last and If I wrap them individually, I can encourage people to buy at least one for later or maybe they’ll buy 2 one for each of their children at home.

I made cupcakes last year but they didn't sell well.
  • hungrymarathongirl
    hungrymarathongirl Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    There are several websites that offer lowfat desserts.

tasteofhome.com (cooking light)
    kraftrecipes.com (healthy eating)
    eatbetteramerica.com
    thatsfit.com (recipe rehab)
    prevention.com
  • candicecumbie
    Options
    I agree with brownies, some type of peanut butter or caramel to be different. They have a butterfinger brownie mix that is awesome at most grocery stores.
  • kmulhollen
    kmulhollen Posts: 54
    Options
    Yes to the basic suggestions above (rice crispy treats and brownies...) but if I were you I'd make:

DIRT CUPS

1 package oreos
    2 cups cold milk
    1 package instant chocolate pudding
    1 tub of cool-whip (do you have that in CA)
    8-10 clear plastic cups
    gummy worms

(1) crush cookies and place about a tablespoon into each cup (you'll have extra step 2)
    (2) make pudding with wire whisk, beating about 2 minutes. Stir in cool-whip and the other 1/2 of the crushed cookies
    (3) refrigerate until bake sale starts
    (3) fill cups about 3/4; full with pudding/cookie mixture. top with remaining crushed cookies then a few gummy worms
  • jnikitow
    jnikitow Posts: 334
    Options
    What about making baggies of Muddy Buddies?

Some people know it as Puppy Chow. The recipe is on the side of any type of Chex cereal.
  • sandra80
    sandra80 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    smore cupcakes-
    chocolate cake mix but add instant chocolate pudding mix and an extra egg and mini marshmallows. ice with a fudge-y icing and then top with graham cracker crumbles.

orange creamcicle cupcakes
    white cake mix but add instand vanilla pudding mix and an extra egg and a packet of orange flavored jello top with vanilla icing and one of those orange gummy slice candies

rainbow cupcakes- white cake mix you divide in various bowls, use food coloring to dye the batter different colors then put in cupcake wrappers layering the colors.

peanutbutter brownies- brownie mix with a couple table spoons of peanut butter swirled through

marshmallow brownies- brownie mix with marshmallow fluff swirled through

brownie pizza slices- brownie mix baked and then topped with pizza toppings chocolate sauce (pizza sauce) melted marshmallows (cheese) and other various candies

chocolate dipped pretzel sticks- dip them and then coat in sprinkles or other candies

the classic ice cream cone cupcakes- baked in flat bottom icecream cone topped with icing and sprinkles

- hope that helps, i love to bake, i just don't get to do it for home anymore.
  • kmulhollen
    Options
    Yum! Muddy buddies is a great idea. We call that "dog chow" where I live and you can add a gimmick like a construction or foam dog tag. I had a friend who served it at a birthday party in dog bowls from a pet store!! (very cute).
  • TashaS
    TashaS Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Yes, Rice Krispy's popped into my head yesterday. They are usually fun and nostalgic, its been years for most people since they had them last and If I wrap them individually, I can encourage people to buy at least one for later or maybe they’ll buy 2 one for each of their children at home.

I made cupcakes last year but they didn't sell well.

A treat I always think of from my childhood is Puff Wheat Squares - delicious!

8 cups puffed wheat cereal
    3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
    1/3 cup corn syrup
    1/4 cup packed brown sugar
    1/3 cup butter or margarine

Place puffed wheat in a large bowl, and set aside. Grease one 9x9 inch pan.
    Grease the rim of a medium saucepan to prevent boil-over. Place the cocoa powder, corn syrup, brown sugar, and butter or margarine in the saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring often until mixture comes to a full boil. Allow to boil for 1 minute, and then remove from heat.
    Pour chocolate mixture over puffed wheat, and stir until puffed wheat is evenly coated. Using a buttered spatula, press mixture into the prepared pan. Allow to cool, then cut as desired. Wrap squares individually, or store in an airtight container.

Amount Per Serving Calories: 89 | Total Fat: 4.1g | Cholesterol: 10mg

Another favourite of mine was Popcorn Balls (or Cake) -- I'd add jubjubes or smarties to make them extra special.

3/4 cup light corn syrup
    1/4 cup margarine
    2 teaspoons cold water
    2 5/8 cups confectioners' sugar
    1 cup marshmallows
    5 quarts plain popped popcorn

In a saucepan over medium heat, combine the corn syrup, margarine, cold water, confectioners' sugar and marshmallows. Heat and stir until the mixture comes to a boil. Carefully combine the hot mixture with the popcorn, coating each kernel.
    Grease hands with vegetable shortening and quickly shape the coated popcorn into balls before it cools. Wrap with cellophane or plastic wrap and store at room temperature.

Amount Per Serving Calories: 191 | Total Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 0mg
  • cwhiteley
    cwhiteley Posts: 9
    Options
    This bloig has AMAZING recipes...some of which I have made. She has great sweeyd, cupcakes, pies, tarts, brownies etc!

http://annies-eats.com/
  • imagymrat
    imagymrat Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I have 6 kids and bake sales are going on all the time, my tried and true recipes that sell out like crazy are always the same two...here they are

Peanut butter balls.....mix 2 cups of peanut butter with 2 cups of icing sugar, roll into balls, freeze 20 minutes, dip the balls into melted chocolate (I use the chocolate wafers from the bulk barn) then you can leave them as is, or I like to drizzle white chocolate on some, colourful sprinkles on others, it's all about the eye appeal!

Double chocolate chip m&m cookies..full fat version: 1 package chocolate devil food cake, 1/4 cup of oil, 2 eggs..mix together, add m&m's drop by teaspoon, bake 350 degrees 8-10 minutes, you can also do these with skor bars..very yummy.

I never make the low fat one for the bake sales, only for at home..I made a low fat version of these that are delicious! start with the cake mix, add 3 large egg whites, 3/4 of a small jar of baby prune puree, mix in some dark chocolate chips, and bake as above....works out to 45 calories a cookie!
  • kmulhollen
    Options
    So what's the verdict? What did you make and how did it work out? Most importantly, how did the benefit go?