HRM

Options
Hi everyone. I just received a S12 HRM b-day present. I say heart rate monitor, but it is supposed to have twelve functions (pedometer, stopwatch, etc). This particular model does not have a chest strap, and I don't think there is any way to use it with a chest strap. Does this make it very inaccurate? Also I am not sure if it bases calories burned upon strides or upon heart rate. If it bases calories burned on strides is that at all accurate? If there is anyone out there with this particular model I would like to know if you liked it or not? I am trying to decide whether to exchange it or not. This one cost around $40 so if I exchange it the new one would have to be close the same price within about $15, because I am broke.

Replies

• belldandy1
    belldandy1 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Any insight at all?
  • belldandy1
    belldandy1 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Let me rephrase the question. Is there any point in using a heart rate monitor that does not use a chest strap? Is it at all accurate to base calories burned on strades taken?

Also I am curious if anyone has the S12 heart rate monitor?
  • TCASMEY
    TCASMEY Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    I think that without the chest strap it would be fairly inaccurate for you. Did you put in you age, weight, height? I use an HRM with a chest strap for exercise but I also wear a pedometer all day long. I like to know my calorie burn but I also shoot for over 20,000 steps a day just do know I am being active as much as possible and not just sitting around.
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    You can read some reviews on here.

http://reviews.walmart.com/1336/10719754/reviews.htm

I agree that without it monitoring your heart rate, you have no input of the aerobic intensity and therefore actual calories. I have a running app on my phone that does what your watch claims. It usually greatly overestimates my calories compared to my Polar HRM.

Sorry.