Low carb foods?

Options
what should I get when I go to the grocery store if im trying to stay low carb?

Replies

1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    You want to go for veggies more than anything. Stay away from any and all grains, and potatoes. However, these foods are okay now and then, but I would not advise them on a daily basis if you are going for low carb.
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    meat, tuna, fish, berries, veggies except for corn, peas, carrots and potatoes
  • catfish117
    Options
    I've been eating the same salad for lunch for a couple of days, I love it.
    1/2 cup of baby spinach- 2 carbs
    1 cup of romaine lettuce-2 carbs
    Hidden Valley Farm House Originals Pomegranate Vinaigrette Dressing-3 carbs.

So that's only seven carbs. And it's really tasty.
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Butter.
  • piinchi
    piinchi Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Veggies!! Look for vegetable substitutes for carby options. For example:

- Cauliflower "rice" - pulse raw cauliflower florets in the food processor until they resemble little grains. Heat up a tbsp of butter in a skillet, add some diced garlic and other aromatics, and let the cauliflower sautee for a few minutes until it gets to the texture you prefer. The longer it cooks, the softer and more wetter it gets, so if you like "fluffy" rice only sautee it for a few minutes, if you like wetter rice let it cook a little longer.
    - Try using Boston or Bibb lettuce leaves as "buns". They form natural cup shapes and are good for holding taco filling, burger patties or that yummy chicken stuff from Chinese restaurants
    - Try out veggies in ways you haven't had them before. For example, broccoli tastes GREAT when tossed in a little olive oil and roasted at 450 degrees for about 25 minutes, or until the ends begin to turn dark brown. The texture and flavor is totally different from steamed or boiled. Its nuttier and sweeter.
    - Kale chips!! Super addicting. There are tons of recipes online.

Don't forget your veggies when watching your carbs! Good luck!
  • rae_32
    rae_32 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Shop the perimeter of the grocery store (don't bother with middle aisles except for healthy oils, nuts and seeds) and avoid the bakery section. In other words you're looking at produce, meats, deli, eggs, and dairy...
  • FellaBritches
    Options
    I have to follow a low carb diet due to a hormonal condition. I've been taught that some of the following foods (just from the top of my brain) are good for a low carb diet. From experience, when I stick to these, I do tend to lose weight and maintain a healthy weight.

- Blueberries
    - strawberries
    - spinach
    -carrots
    -cabbage
    -broccoli (heck most leafy veggies that are fresh)
    - hard cheese (cheddar block)
    - of course meats
    - real butter
    -peanuts, almonds
    -Stay away from whole kernel corn and some root veggies. They turn to sugar quickly or are starchy

I also like to buy diabetic or low sugar vanilla yogurt and add blueberries and no sugar cool whip for dessert. Also Breyers makes a GREAT chocolate almond ice cream bar.
  • traceyleighgirl
    traceyleighgirl Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend low-carbs it...Buy some tilapia! It's cheap and not super fishy tasting as a fish. Chicken breasts are also great and versatile!