Do people lose weight via swimming?

Options
Curious if anyone has successfully lost weight with diet and swimming. I am swimming about 4 times a week for 45 minutes straight each time and am seeing limited success.

Replies

• pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    If you're in a deficit, you should lose weight.

If you open your diary, people may be able to help you.

How tall are you, how much do you weigh, how many calories are you consuming, etc. is the kind of of info needed.
  • beenisafe
    beenisafe Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Same hear. I am also swimming 3-4 times each week for a hour or just over an hour. I have not lost much weight but have noticed that my jeans are looser.
    I am also curious to know if anyone else has lost weight by swimming and dieting alone.
  • mikeatmichael
    mikeatmichael Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I got down to my lowest weight in 20 years by swimming. I was swimming a mile in about 35 minutes 3-5 times a week and lost 15 lbs. over the course of a year or two. I stopped swimming for about a year and gained it all back.

For the last two months I've been trying to swim a mile 2-3 times a week and riding a stationary bike or running the other days. If you're patient and look at this as a lifetime commitment and not a quick way to lose weight you'll get there and be healthier for the way you did it too.
  • dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    I swim two days a week and I think that while it wouldn't help me dropping pounds, it does sculpt the upper body and you drop inches. I swim on my rest days and my shoulders and back are much stronger and leaner because of it.

One great side effect of swimming for me has been it has taught me to be a better runner. I learned how to better regulate my breathing by swimming laps and that same regulating demes to play when running. My cardiovascular has improved because of it :smile:
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Curious if anyone has successfully lost weight with diet and swimming. I am swimming about 4 times a week for 45 minutes straight each time and am seeing limited success.

Its an amazing exercise. About eighteen years ago I attended an olympic pool nearly every day. I was swimming about 25km a week and at least two days a week I swam 5,000 metres - I was doing that for over a year and it had an incredible effect.
    These days the local aquatic centre charges like a wounded bull and so I only get to go maybe once or twice a week.
    Keep it up!
    kind regards,

Ben
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    It's one of the only aerobic exercises that provides a full-body (especially if you are flip turning) resistance effect along with the cardiovascular training.

If you are seeing limited results, it's probably a problem on the intake side or you are overestimating calorie burn.
  • cleback
    cleback Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Love swimming! When I was in school, swimming regularly kept me lean. Now I mostly run due to the fact it's a quicker workout and easier to fit into your day. However, I do fit swimming 1-2x/week. Although I don't quite get my heart rate as high swimming as during a run, I always feel a good burn in my shoulders, arms, and legs. Probably more of a resistance workout than running.

Of more relevance to your question, there was a recent fitness post about hunger and swimming. Some people mentioned that swimming in cold waters can stimulate an appetite. I've never heard of it before today, but it might be something to look into.

In general, exercise + deficit= weight loss. Good luck!
  • Scott15Fit
    Options
    It's one of the only aerobic exercises that provides a full-body (especially if you are flip turning) resistance effect along with the cardiovascular training.

If you are seeing limited results, it's probably a problem on the intake side or you are overestimating calorie burn.

Very true. After you've been swimming a while at the same pace you won't be expending as much energy, same with any cardio activity that you do at the same pace over a long period of time. Just not as many HRM's work in water so it's harder to measure. If you want greater results increase your intensity by doing things like sprints which is the equivalent of intervals when running. If your happier doing a leisurely swim then start reducing the calorie burn estimation.

Edit: Because I suck at grammar
  • ZyheeMoongazer
    ZyheeMoongazer Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Calorie Deficit is the only way to lose weight. What cardio exercises you are doing doesn't matter if you are eating over your TDEE.
  • Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Calorie Deficit is the only way to lose weight. What cardio exercises you are doing doesn't matter if you are eating over your TDEE.

Yep. I love swimming. Swim 1500m between 4 and 7 times a week at a decent pace. But you know what, I did that when I was fat too...

Swimming has many positive benefits but like any exercise it can only help you to lose weight if you are burning more than you're eating. And the burn for swimming is less than for most other exercises because it's not weight bearing.
  • elyseology
    elyseology Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I do swimming for my fitness and have not been losing weight. I invested in a heart rate monitor (polar ft4), turns out I wasn't working NEARLY as hard as I thought I was. Those ridiculous calories MFP had been giving me for my swim workout had been completely wrong. Now I make sure I keep my heart rate in between the zone and log the calories burned that my Polar reads out. I highly suggest you invest as well, best decision I ever made!! :)
  • Caguppie
    Caguppie Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    i've also have some nice results with swimming, but it might help to change up your swim routine or add some other kind of exercise.
  • Macstraw
    Macstraw Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    I've lost 25 lbs. since the beginning of the year only swimming & walking. On my distance days I'm up to 6500 yards, on the days I do shorter, more intense sets I'm doing 5000 yards. I'm down about 1 1/2 pants sizes & my clothes are fitting me much more loosely. I haven't felt this strong in years, I don't get winded walking & my core is much stronger. Remember, it's not just the amount of time you spend swimming - it's how hard you hit it. Swimming an hour leisurely will not net you anywhere near the results that hitting it harder will, it's the same as the difference between a casual stroll & a fast walk or run. Like anything else, you get out of it what you put into it.....
  • seanezekiel
    seanezekiel Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Actuallythe burm from swimming is higher then almost any other exercise.
  • Macstraw
    Options
    Bottom line - instead of worrying about HRM's, whether the calories listed are correct, etc. just eat less than you used to & move more than you used to. you WILL lose weight. Remember, none of us got to where we are (for good or bad) overnight & the changes will not come overnight. Instead of trying to lose the most weight in the shortest amount of time shoot for lifestyle changes that will stay in place. The process doesn't need to be cumbersome & stressful, slowly incorporate the changes you want & wait patiently for results that will last permanently......
  • Pinkylee77
    Pinkylee77 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Of course swimming burns calories Look at Michael Felps he ate almost 12,000 calories a day when in training. also the more fit you are the lower your heart rate will be. But I have never found heart rate was a good judge of exercise. Prior to my heart surgery my heart rate was around 150 and when I did anything it would race. My weight did not go down after my heart surgery my heart rate is mostly in the 50-70 range and I am much more fit and able to burn calories without the racing heart. Just keep moving and you will burn calories.
  • phjorg
    phjorg Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    people lose weight by eating less food than they expend in living/activity.

swimming or not swimming has nothing to do with this fact.
  • phjorg
    phjorg Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I do swimming for my fitness and have not been losing weight. I invested in a heart rate monitor (polar ft4), turns out I wasn't working NEARLY as hard as I thought I was. Those ridiculous calories MFP had been giving me for my swim workout had been completely wrong. Now I make sure I keep my heart rate in between the zone and log the calories burned that my Polar reads out. I highly suggest you invest as well, best decision I ever made!! :)
    that zone is a useless indicator of anything. push yourself hard and aim to improve every workout.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    You naturally suck in your diaphragm and core slightly all the time you are swimming, which helps to give a slimmer appearance in additon to helping towards weight loss by increasing calorie deficit while helping to maintain muscle generally.

That's my opinion and my findings for my own progress path; others may hold different opinions.
  • Macstraw
    Options
    people lose weight by eating less food than they expend in living/activity.

swimming or not swimming has nothing to do with this fact.

Well, it does in that it expends more calories than not swimming. Any exercise that is more than what you've been doing is a plus, & any exercise you do will help increase the calorie deficit needed to lose weight.....