Training for a 5k

Options
Ok, I'm walking 4 miles a day about 3-4 days a week now, I'm wanting to do a 5k soon. I have a app that is a 8 week training but i'm worried since i'm still 260 pounds if it will kill me lol any advise please!

Replies

• WAHMto5
    WAHMto5 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I can't say enough good things about the C25K app! Be sure to check out the C25K board in here, lots of great info, tips, and support!
  • jennmariepantoja
    jennmariepantoja Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    C25K!
    When I started, I could barely run for 30 seconds. Now, I am up to 1.5 mile.
    Slowly but surely! As a former smoker and as someone with asthma, if I can do it, you can too!
    I do have to repeat some of the weeks until I can comfortably move on to the next level, but it works.
    good luck!
  • Ndanielle62287
    Options
    C25K!
    When I started, I could barely run for 30 seconds. Now, I am up to 1.5 mile.
    Slowly but surely! As a former smoker and as someone with asthma, if I can do it, you can too!
    I do have to repeat some of the weeks until I can comfortably move on to the next level, but it works.
    good luck!

Very inspiring... I just entered for LoziLu 5k mudrun in DC! I have some serious prepping to do!!!
  • kimmym0324
    kimmym0324 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Yea, That's the app i have it is great, Thanks all!
  • bri0628
    bri0628 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    You can do it!! Just have patience and work at your own pace. If you have to repeat a couple weeks it's okay, you're still being active. Best of Luck to you :smile:
  • kingscrown
    kingscrown Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I was doing the app on a treadmill. Started running on the ground about a month ago. WOW thought I was going to have to start all over. It was SO much harder, but I'm building back up and the scenery is so much better.
  • stanleythemanley44
    Options
    Yes! C25k helped me run my first 5k last year! :)
    Just take it slowly, and don't be afraid to repeat a week.
    I don't think it is impossible at your weight at all!!
    Make sure to actually sign up for a 5k after a few weeks in, preferably with a friend! This will keep you motivated!
  • sugardaddy0331
    Options
    You might want to also check out a guy named Jeff Galloway. He has training programs from 5k to marathon all based on a run/walk sequence. His focus is injury free running from beginners to pro. He also has an AP called Easy 5k with Jeff Galloway by lolo

Have Fun!
  • mamacita721
    mamacita721 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I was doing the app on a treadmill. Started running on the ground about a month ago. WOW thought I was going to have to start all over. It was SO much harder, but I'm building back up and the scenery is so much better.

^^This.

Running outside vs. the "dreadmill" are totally different. If you can train outside, do it! If not, make sure that you are running at a minimum of 2 on the incline.
  • kimmym0324
    kimmym0324 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Thanks yall for all the advise!!!
  • sugardaddy0331
    Options
    Stanleytheman is dead on - if you can find a friend that will REALLY help to keep each other motivated
  • ice1200s
    ice1200s Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Okay... you guys convinced me. I installed the app, and my dog and I will do day one, week one in the morning. It's raining and very windy out tonight. No really... it's very windy and raining out. Ciao, Marc