How do you track calories of recipes people make?

Options
HI. I have been spending a lot of time with my family lately, and my mom is an excellent cook. Luckily she cooks rather healthy, we are Japanese. Like last week she made smothered pork chops with rice and salad (if you call that healthy!) lol. She made spam sushi and homemade chili as well. But it is so hard to tally calories because I don't know what exactly she used. For example, she made these deliscious curry pot pie things, but they were different, but I just put in the one here that best fit.

Any advice for this sort of situation? My money has been tight, and eating with my mom helps with money. I try and tell her not to make so much, but it's hard, she doesn't listen. lol

Kena

Replies

• dsgoingtodoit
    dsgoingtodoit Posts: 803 Member
    Options
    You have to input the recipe to the best of your ability - even if it means calling up the "chef"/your Mom...under the food tab - under recipes...and then - you will have the best idea. This might also be a way to flatter your Mom by asking her for her recipes and explaining that you are wanting to cook some of her recipes someday...and don't want to forget anything. Hope that helps.
  • kopoba11
    kopoba11 Posts: 12
    Options
    If you are lazy entering recipe just enter ingredients

Spam sushi

Spam 30 grams
    Rice 30 grams
    Sea weed 5 grams
    Soy sauce 5 grams
  • kingscrown
    kingscrown Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Yep, I make a guessimate. There are a lot of recipe already entered. I find something similar and use it as a guide. If I feel I just can't find something close I enter my own recipes. Like the previous poster said ask you mom for the recipe. Even it can be a guess if she's a little of this and a little of that kind of cook. It's easier if you have a smart phone. One can scan food that has the UPC code.
  • patmoomur
    patmoomur Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I am new to this site but just recently found what you are looking for through my dietitian. There is a site put up by Canadian Dietitians. The link to the recipe analyzer is http://www.eatracker.ca/recipe_analyzer.aspx
    Copy and paste into your address line and see what you think. I've done it for my own recipe choices and it takes a bit of time but it will give you the portion calories for the recipe.