At home workouts?

Options
I'm just starting out and right now joining a gym is out of my price range. What are some good suggestions for an at home workout? I'd really like to 'dance away the pounds' on the ps3 move but I haven't quite saved enough money yet. Is there a certain video you use that never gets boring or do you just do crunches, push ups, and lunges, etc? Btw, I've got 82lbs to go so nothing too strenuous to begin with or I will quickly get discouraged. Thanks for your input!

Replies

• JennyNotSoSkinny
    JennyNotSoSkinny Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I swear by the Jillian Michaels body revolution program. I did it once and lost close to 40 lbs. I think it's like $120 but it's well worth it and I hear there are free videos on you tube for it.
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    fitnessblender.com ! they are also on youtube but they have HEAPS of free workouts and exercises. they are also on Facebook. They have all kinds of workouts for all types of levels, short workouts, long workouts.

love their workouts ! don't let short 15 min workouts fool you, they will make you sweat !
  • JonnyR214
    JonnyR214 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    fitnessblender.com ! they are also on youtube but they have HEAPS of free workouts and exercises. they are also on Facebook. They have all kinds of workouts for all types of levels, short workouts, long workouts.

love their workouts ! don't let short 15 min workouts fool you, they will make you sweat !

This^^!
  • RavenWolf1977
    RavenWolf1977 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I love the Biggest Loser Bootcamp DVD and Biggest Loser Weight Loss Yoga...they both kick my butt and make me sweat.

I walk A LOT and have even started jogging/running.

I picked up some dumbbells (set of 5's, set of 8's) and do upper body strength training.

My friend (who is a personal trainer) has me doing scissors and butterflies for abs...no crunches.

I have lost 33 pounds since 1 January of this year!

I just started doing Zumba for Wii today and love that!!!

There is so much you can do without ever stepping foot in a gym!!!
  • Lotusstarr
    Lotusstarr Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Blogilates.com or aka Pop Pilates... She gives you a calendar every month to follow along with her if you sign up for her newsletter... She also does a food blog etc... all video..
  • JosieRawr
    JosieRawr Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    If you want to dance away the pounds you could even start with just turning on the radio or you tube dance workouts or dancercise etc. Don't force it too the point of not enjoying your workouts. If you like to dance, go with that- it's a very healthy and diverse cardio! :)
  • ardnajelatr
    ardnajelatr Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    30 Day Shred by Jillian Michaels. You can also find it on youtube. If you want to buy it, it is about 10 dls. Her 20 minute workout has me sweating like crazy. You can find other excellent exercise videos on youtube by BeFit.
  • ace89002
    ace89002 Posts: 2
    Options
    If you don't have a Pinterest account I would highly recommend getting one. The "health and fitness" section is full of at home workouts along with videos that you can follow along with. And not to mention tons of healthy eating ideas.

My favorite are these 10 minute Cross Fit videos. I do 2 or 3 of them, depending on the amount of time i have, with small breaks in between. They kick my butt!

Here's the link that I use: http://www.fitsugar.com/10-Minute-Full-Body-Crossfit-Workout-23065707

Good luck!
  • sleibo87
    sleibo87 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I started out with Jillian Michaels Body revolution and had amazing success. Feel free to look at my photos, my before and almost after the first 3 pics are from jmbr and the last is from insanity. JMBR wasn't cheap- like 100-130$ but so worth every penny. It changed my body and I have done the program 3 times now and it never gets old! I recommend videos cause you push harder when you try to keep up with the video then just doing your own workout routine usually, for me anyways. But yah I also jog when I can and now I am doing p90x/insanity hybrid. I still love JMBR the most tho! Good luck!
  • tnb889
    tnb889 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your replies, you gave a lot of good info. I'll be checking out some of the youtube videos tonight :)
  • baristagirl7
    baristagirl7 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I personally do TurboFire! LOVE it ! It has great music and there are 10 DVD and it is a 90 day program. If you signed up with me www.beachbodycoach.com/baristagirl7 I would put you in my Challenge Group of others trying to lose weight I am an online Coach I love to help people reach their health/fitness goals! Its a one time fee for the DVD's and if you get Shakeology its more but the shakes HELP a TON when you have a considerate amount of weight to lose!
  • pcdoctor01
    pcdoctor01 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Lost 8 lbs using HASfit and 3 using BeFit in 90. I just need to lose 10 more before I get my doctor's checkup. I need to get my butt in gear some more.
  • lindaw66
    lindaw66 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Blogilates.com or aka Pop Pilates... She gives you a calendar every month to follow along with her if you sign up for her newsletter... She also does a food blog etc... all video..

bump
  • chercee
    chercee Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I agree with the Pop Pilates suggestion. Her videos are killer (!) but they are free, you can access them whenever you like, and her energy is great. There are days when I can't complete them, but it's something to work up to.

Walking is excellent free exercise, and again it helps you work up to your goal. You don't have to start out walking miles - just a little further than yesteray. Plus I find it's great mentally/spiritually as well.

There are some great 10-minute dance dvds. Check out the 10-Minute Solution series. I have a couple of them, and they are great! I don't remember how much I paid for them (I bought them on Amazon) but they couldn't have been that much, or I wouldn't have bought them.

There is also a samba reggae dance video that is SO much fun, and guaranteed to get you sweating...I think her name is Queenia Ribeiro (or something like that) and it's a great workout if you have a little extra time.
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    Have a look at Chalean Extreme too.
  • DaffyGirl88
    DaffyGirl88 Posts: 4,580 Member
    Options
    The local library probably has a ton of DVDs - not to mention books. I checked out Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shredd and wrote down the workouts. You can do that with any of them.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Got a smart phone? Nike Training Club is a free app full of awesome workouts.

http://www.nike.com/us/en_us/c/womens-training/apps/nike-training-club
  • 1980karen
    1980karen Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    ive been doing jillian michaels 30 day shread and am really enjoying it. ive also started running so that helps.
  • cidalia73
    cidalia73 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Broke as a joke here too. Some suggestions (sorry if some of these have been mentioned):

- YouTube for fitness videos
    - The Great Outdoors, weather permitting: Walking/Jogging/Running; Hiking; Stairs; Biking
    - Dance to your own music mix
    - Get an inexpensive resistance band for toning or just look up exercise videos or articles that show you exercises you can do to tone up using your body's own weight and resistance.

Apps for your smart phone, if you have one:

To track your runs / workouts: Nike+ (FREE) or Endomondo (FREE and Premium versions) for tracking your runs (Endomondo does track more than just running). I have both on my phone and just linked them together through the Endomondo site.

Nike Training Club (NTC): Great portable app will get you toned up sans equipment. FREE
  • mili5726
    mili5726 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Ok I do cross fit 2 days a week, boxing 2 days a week, and weight training 2 days a week, this Saturday I couldn't make it to the gym so I tried Jillian Michaels No More Trouble Zones. I thought I was going to breeze through the workout because of how hard I work out. That workout was really tough. I am used to training with heavy weights so again I thought the light weights she tells you to use would be a breeze, boy was I wrong. I was actually sore the next day. I did the workout to the max but you can modify it if you are just starting out. It is a great workout, and so is her Banish fat and Boost metabolism.