weekend filled with tempting treats...

fchopin42
fchopin42 Posts: 51
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
This weekend I will be hosting a party on Saturday and then attending one Sunday. There will be tons of tempting foods at both (less at the one I'm hosting). I'm a little scared and unsure of how to handle it... I've only been watching my calorie intake one week and I'm nervous that if I allow myself to indulge a little I won't be able to stop... on the other hand if I totally restrict what I eat I may feel a bit of resentment etc. Ugh...

Any suggestions?

Thanks a bunch!

Lisa

Replies

• nsking83
    nsking83 Posts: 145
    I can't tell myself that I CAN'T have something. I let myself have whatever it is.....a piece of cake, McDonald's, fried chicken........but only a PART of it. I'll have 3 bites of cake instead of the whole piece. Get a happy meal instead of a value meal. Etc.

So - that's what we all have to do this weekend to keep ourselves from going insane with food jealousy. Have a piece of pie.....like, half a piece. Have some of that macaroni salad - but one spoonful, not 4. It's all about moderation. If you're afraid that you'll overeat, get someone to help you. My help is my husband. At restaurants when I know I've had enough, I give him my fork....that way, I can't just sit and pick at things. If it's a buffet that's out all day long, avoid it. Y'know?

And if you DO overeat - just remember - tomorrow is a new day. Just get back on the wagon!!

You can do it. Good luck!
  • Sara1478
    Sara1478 Posts: 21
    Eat lightly during the hours outside the party time and allow yourself limited indulgence during the party. Also, keep a full glass of water or low calorie drink on hand to help keep you fuller during the party itself. Especially for your own party, know which foods are best for you and try to stay away from the worst.
  • BarbieCat1
    BarbieCat1 Posts: 82
    Ooooo, parties ! always tough. But there are some strategies you might try.

I suggest not drinking alcohol. I know, I know, this might be a hard one, but if you can stick to sparkling water or diet soda, you won't have as much urge to snack. Besides, wine, beer and liquor are dense with calories. If you really must have a drink, be sure you stick with light beer, a wine cooler [with club soda] or mixers like diet soda or tomato juice. I like the idea of having a glass of sparkling water, with a citrus wedge with you at all times... you can sip when others sip... no need to tell anyone what's in your glass, unless you want to.

Eat something like a big salad before the party, so your tummy will feel full.

Make sure you have appropriate things to snack on at your own, like crudites and fruit... a pretty platter, with only a non fat dip is great. Munch from it all you want. Take a platter to the one on Sunday as your contribution. If that's not appropriate, put something you can eat in your purse, or stash something in the kitchen.

Allow yourself a small treat, but don't over indulge. Keep away from things that are totally empty snack calories like chips.
  • baggins706
    baggins706 Posts: 310
    I posted this, this morning publicly!
    Summer BBQ Survival Guide

The Link: http://www.sheknows.com/articles/809009/healthy-diet-tips-for-summer-bbq-season

Summer is for baring skin and showing off that bikini body you've worked so hard to achieve. Don't let the summer cookouts and holiday BBQs be the ruin of your hot body efforts. The following diet tips for summer BBQ season will help you stay slim, trim and proud to bare skin throughout the warm weather months.

Survive summer BBQ season with these healthy diet tips
    To help SheKnows readers navigate cookouts and avoid overeating at food-centric summer get togethers, like Memorial Day and Fourth of July, Zone Delivery USA, a leading Zone diet delivery service, offers the following diet tips.

Diet tip #1: Veg out
    Instead of sitting down to a plate of high-calorie ribs as your first course, load up on salad and veggies before you hit the grilled meats. You’ll not only get a healthy, low-calorie dose of antioxidants, you’ll be less likely to overeat the higher calorie foods. Make eating your veggies convenient and grill them in aluminum foil alongside the other grilled goodies.

Diet tip #2: Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate
    Drinking a large glass of water before eating a meal will slow you down and help reduce your caloric intake. It can also help you avoid dehydration, which can sap your energy and cause false-hunger signals.

Diet tip #3: Go skinless
    Before eating, remove the skin from chicken and turkey. Additionally, choose skinless ground poultry meat for your burgers. Be sure to check the label and choose the poultry that is lowest in fat.

Diet tip #4: Watch your alcohol
    Cold beers on a hot day go down fairly easily – but that doesn’t make them calorie- or carb-free. If you’re indulging in alcohol, it’s important to watch your carbs. To help reduce your alcohol intake, drink a glass of water in between each serving of alcohol. Also, to balance out the carbs, eat a few bites of protein for every beer or glass of wine you drink.

Diet tip #5: Don’t let the name “salad” fool you
    Avoid potato and macaroni salads – they are loaded in saturated fats, carbs and starches – unless you know they are chockfull of chopped veggies and have been made with a low-fat dressing. Even still, don’t overindulge on the carb-heavy fare.

Diet tip #6: Use whole wheat buns
    In addition to choosing whole wheat buns over white, eat your burger open-faced (one half of a bun) to even out your protein and carbohydrate ratio. You can also substitute pita bread for hot dog and burger buns.

Diet tip #7: Use your hand to determine portion control
    Just because your plate is full doesn’t mean you need to eat it all. Use this guide to control your portion sizes:
    •Size of hand: Carbohydrates (complex carbohydrates like whole grain buns, pasta, brown rice, etc.)
    •Size of palm: Protein including chicken, fish, beef, turkey, egg whites, low fat cheeses, and tofu
    •Size of thumb: Fats and oils, nuts, avocado and olives

Diet tip #8: Think fish
    Grilling is actually a low-fat way to prepare food, but only if you choose lower fat foods. Beef burgers, hot dogs and ribs, which are typical barbecue fare, are high in fat and calories. Fish, on the other hand, is high in heart-healthy omega-3s ("good for you" fats) and typically lower in calories. Try tuna steaks and salmon fillets – they hold up to grilling and are packed with lean protein.

Diet tip #9: Don’t deprive yourself
    if you’re craving a cheeseburger, make a small meat patty and eat your burger open-faced with healthy sides like salad and grilled veggies.

Diet tip #10: Get moving
    When you’re finished eating, get up and play! Stepping away from the picnic table will keep you from mindlessly munching and eating when you aren’t even hungry. A game of horseshoes, Frisbee or bocce ball will help you burn extra calories and give you a fun way to bond with your family and friends.
  • JMMills
    JMMills Posts: 2
    I am an "all or nothing" girl. Unfortunately, when it comes to sweets, once I give in, I usually dive in. It's so hard saying no, but I am ALWAYS so glad when I step on the scales the next morning and weigh LESS!! Let that be your motivation. Nothing tastes as good as being thin feels!
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    This journey is life long - you are not on a diet but learning a new way of eating FOREVER. It's OK to indulge occasionally and in moderation. You have to allow yourself that or you will never succeed. Just exercise before you go and the following day before the second party. The Hand, Palm, Thumb measurement post is FANTASTIC. Use moderation as your guide.
  • a1schwei
    a1schwei Posts: 617 Member
    i agree with above...plus get in an awesome workout in the am before partying...that way even if you do over indulge slightly, you will have a few extra calories to work with :)
  • becky1313
    becky1313 Posts: 6
    for me.. my biggest thing...I always have gum on me. No matter where I am going, what i am doing. It seems to help. I hate to throw out a piece of gum if I see something I like, esp. if i just put it in my mouth! what a waste~
    and if you get a fruity flavor gum, it takes the sweetness away.:smile:
  • bpesano
    bpesano Posts: 7
    If you can cut out some calories you won't miss when you're putting out your food for your party, that at least will be a little bit of a help. Use light and lower fat ingredients, put more fresh fruit and veggie items out. And try to limit the sodium. I really hadn't given this a lot of thought myself until recently, but I have found that sodium is a big downfall -- not only does it make you retain water, but for me salty things are like an addiction. I find myself going back for second helpings of chips and that sort of thing. Stay away from salty snacks at the parties you go to, and try to omit or limit them at the one you're hosting. And the other people who have mentioned it are so right -- have little portions of the things you do like, even if they're "naughty". This way you feel included, get to taste the good stuff, and limit the guilt. I have to take my own advice on Monday. My big thing is going to be to skip the things that don't completely jazz me, instead of just eating some out of habit or politeness.
  • fchopin42
    fchopin42 Posts: 51
    thank you so much everyone!

I'm still nervous but at least I have some great ideas. LOVE the gum idea... I love to chew gum and that helps a lot.

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

:flowerforyou:

Lisa
  • xonophone
    xonophone Posts: 474 Member
    I posted this, this morning publicly!
    Summer BBQ Survival Guide

The Link: http://www.sheknows.com/articles/809009/healthy-diet-tips-for-summer-bbq-season

Summer is for baring skin and showing off that bikini body you've worked so hard to achieve. Don't let the summer cookouts and holiday BBQs be the ruin of your hot body efforts. The following diet tips for summer BBQ season will help you stay slim, trim and proud to bare skin throughout the warm weather months.

Survive summer BBQ season with these healthy diet tips
    To help SheKnows readers navigate cookouts and avoid overeating at food-centric summer get togethers, like Memorial Day and Fourth of July, Zone Delivery USA, a leading Zone diet delivery service, offers the following diet tips.

Diet tip #1: Veg out
    Instead of sitting down to a plate of high-calorie ribs as your first course, load up on salad and veggies before you hit the grilled meats. You’ll not only get a healthy, low-calorie dose of antioxidants, you’ll be less likely to overeat the higher calorie foods. Make eating your veggies convenient and grill them in aluminum foil alongside the other grilled goodies.

Diet tip #2: Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate
    Drinking a large glass of water before eating a meal will slow you down and help reduce your caloric intake. It can also help you avoid dehydration, which can sap your energy and cause false-hunger signals.

Diet tip #3: Go skinless
    Before eating, remove the skin from chicken and turkey. Additionally, choose skinless ground poultry meat for your burgers. Be sure to check the label and choose the poultry that is lowest in fat.

Diet tip #4: Watch your alcohol
    Cold beers on a hot day go down fairly easily – but that doesn’t make them calorie- or carb-free. If you’re indulging in alcohol, it’s important to watch your carbs. To help reduce your alcohol intake, drink a glass of water in between each serving of alcohol. Also, to balance out the carbs, eat a few bites of protein for every beer or glass of wine you drink.

Diet tip #5: Don’t let the name “salad” fool you
    Avoid potato and macaroni salads – they are loaded in saturated fats, carbs and starches – unless you know they are chockfull of chopped veggies and have been made with a low-fat dressing. Even still, don’t overindulge on the carb-heavy fare.

Diet tip #6: Use whole wheat buns
    In addition to choosing whole wheat buns over white, eat your burger open-faced (one half of a bun) to even out your protein and carbohydrate ratio. You can also substitute pita bread for hot dog and burger buns.

Diet tip #7: Use your hand to determine portion control
    Just because your plate is full doesn’t mean you need to eat it all. Use this guide to control your portion sizes:
    •Size of hand: Carbohydrates (complex carbohydrates like whole grain buns, pasta, brown rice, etc.)
    •Size of palm: Protein including chicken, fish, beef, turkey, egg whites, low fat cheeses, and tofu
    •Size of thumb: Fats and oils, nuts, avocado and olives

Diet tip #8: Think fish
    Grilling is actually a low-fat way to prepare food, but only if you choose lower fat foods. Beef burgers, hot dogs and ribs, which are typical barbecue fare, are high in fat and calories. Fish, on the other hand, is high in heart-healthy omega-3s ("good for you" fats) and typically lower in calories. Try tuna steaks and salmon fillets – they hold up to grilling and are packed with lean protein.

Diet tip #9: Don’t deprive yourself
    if you’re craving a cheeseburger, make a small meat patty and eat your burger open-faced with healthy sides like salad and grilled veggies.

Diet tip #10: Get moving
    When you’re finished eating, get up and play! Stepping away from the picnic table will keep you from mindlessly munching and eating when you aren’t even hungry. A game of horseshoes, Frisbee or bocce ball will help you burn extra calories and give you a fun way to bond with your family and friends.

GREAT resource! Thanks for posting!!
  • xonophone
    xonophone Posts: 474 Member
    I joined MFP 2 weeks before Christmas and everyone thought I was crazy. But once you know how many calories are in the foods offered to you and how hard you will have to work to burn them off, you will look at food differently. At least for me, I found those holiday cookies really weren't so tasty after all! But like you, I am way more tempted in the summer, and find the key is to avoid alcohol, like others have mentioned. Once I have that first drink my inhibition towards food goes away and I am intstantly hungry. However, if you must drink, I recommend Bud Select 55 (hearing groans from the beer lovers in the audience and ducking from the rotten eggs being thrown at me). I keep some on hand for BBQs, to bring on the boat, etc and find that I feel like I'm drinking with the crowd but not really adding calories or causing those unwanted effects of alcohol.
This discussion has been closed.