Ditch 30 day shred for CrossFit?

Options
I am considering it. Tomorrow will be the start of Level 2 but I am going to go try out a free crossfit class. If I did crossfit I would ditch the 30 day shred. I want to lose amount 10ish more pounds. I say 10ish because I want some muscle and definition. What do you guys think? I am thinking 5 days a week with crossfit or 6 days a week 39 day shred.

Replies

• DekkaTwoOneWizzy
    Options
    5 days crossfit and im not a fan their collective psyche but their methods are sound and robbed from everyone....If you return to 30day shred post crossfit the benefits will cross over but i doubt theyd do so in reverse. make sense?
  • Steph_B_
    Steph_B_ Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Not really. If I did crossfit I would get the 3 month unlimited. So I would go 5 days a week for 3 months. With the 30 day shred I have 20 days left and not sure what I would do after that.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Which one do you like better/ Which are you most likely to stick with. You like CrossFit, do it, if not do something else.
  • Krecob
    Krecob Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I did the 30 day shred for about a month and then i got bored. I just started Crossfit and I love it! I did the free trial day and now im on-boarding for two weeks and then ill begin the unlimited. My only concern with it is the cost but that just makes me want to put more effort into it so im getting my monies worth. It all depends on the box you go to, Crossfit isnt a one size fits all or cookie cutter, they all seem to be different. Good luck with your decision!
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I do CF -- when you first start 5 days a week will burn you out and you're going to be sore - trust me (I do 6 now for a quite some time but I started at 3)

I turned down JM 30 because I want to do high weights
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I strongly considered crossfit but it's crazy expensive. Do you have a smartphone? Try out the You Are Your Own Gym app..it's like $3. It's bodyweight stuff you can do anywhere with just a few items (stool/chair/box/bench, towel & a door, really common stuff). I did 30 day shred but moved on from that quickly and no longer find it useful. I've been using the YAYOG app for 7 workouts so far and really like it...it's kind of like a personal trainer in a phone. They have 10 week programs (which I'm doing) at 4 levels, make your own workout (with tons of predefined exercises with videos) or you can choose a level and an amount of time and they'll build you a workout. It says on the screen how many reps to do and you hit the button after you do them, it counts down your rest and goes through the whole set with you. It has videos running the entire time to demonstrate.

ETA: Right now, I'm doing 4 workouts for 36min a week. If I'm running low on time, I skimp on the rest periods and can cut it down to about 15min but usually do the full 36 and just to extra reps if I'm moving at a good pace. I'm already seeing more definition in my arms/shoulders/back and my legs are killing me lol.
  • coltrane78
    Options
    Jillian Michaels is excellent for body strength and circuit training but she has never been keen on weights. CrossFit will give you that balence of learning weight training.
  • supermomsteurer
    supermomsteurer Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I did 30 day shred and like someone said before I got bored, this is why CrossFit is perfect for me. It is like I have exercise add and this is my cure, I never get bore, it is always challenging and while it is more expensive than others you get a more personalized program. I personally had to cut back and started building an at home "box" (crossfit for gym) and have been doing pretty good with that. I have been able to build most of my stuff and while I do not have access to everything I can still get a work out in. I do visit a coach once a month to tweak my forms and make sure I am not doing anything wrong so I can avoid injury. But you can totally crossfit at home.

I do highly recommend you visit different boxes before you join one, they all have different "personalities". The first box I joined just wasn't a good fit, the place where I get my one on one coaching is great though, I love it. If I go back to having a membership I will probably shop around a bit first.
  • Steph_B_
    Steph_B_ Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I went to the free class today and it was hard. So... there is a beginner class that you were supposed to take 6 classes of before the main class. Oops. But that's ok. I did the regular class any way. It was a hard workout but I loved it. It made me feel like my old workouts were not workouts. It was hard but they were able to have you work at your own levels. So there were trainers and beginners that just finished the 6 classes and me, total beginner to cross fit. They had a deal on Amazon Local that was $180 for 3 months unlimited classes. So I got that tonight. I am excited.
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Definitely check out deal sites if you decide to try CrossFit. The cost is the main reason I haven't done it but I saw a deal last night for 15 classes for $79 so I'm planning on giving it a shot. I probably won't stick with it because it's just so expensive but I'm sure I'll learn $80 worth in the 15 classes.
  • JJordon
    JJordon Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    Why not do just the Crossfit Workout of the day (WOD)?
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I vote yes