Really down and out

Options
I'm been eating healthy (smaller portions and no more junk) and excercising everyday for the past month and I really thought I was getting somewhere. But last night I found out my scales aren't actually right and when I weighed myself today on the scales at work (which are accurate to 0.01KG I realised I'm at the same weight that I started out as (which is also an accurate weight - done at the doctor's).

I literally burst into tears and now I just feel like a big pile of crap.

Can anyone give me some good advice?

Replies

• aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Here are the facts:

1 - You've been weighing on your scale the whole time. If it's gone down, that means you've lost weight.

2 - Your work scale being right and your scale being wrong does not undo your effort.

3 - You actually weighed in the beginning more than you thought.

So what? Once you're at your goal weight, you'll have lost more than you originally set out to and you will be SO glad and proud of yourself. :happy: Just stay on track and continue what you set out to do. This is a minor setback, you'll be fine.
  • nikki91950
    nikki91950 Posts: 647
    Options
    i feel for you, i really do. i wish i could give you some encouraging words here. you just can't focus so much on the numbers that show up on scales, because if you do, you'll go absolutely nuts. did you do measurements of your body before you started? are your clothes fitting better or getting looser? are your scales just off with actual weights, or are they reliable when it comes to tracking differences in weight? being the same weight you were to start off with isn't the end of the world as long as you were actually losing weight in the process. trust me, it's so much better than gaining weight. so you're a month behind, but you've already got a head start because you've been eating healthier and have been exercising every day. how much did you believe you had lost, and how did you figure out your scale was wrong?
  • RominaSullivan
    Options
    Don't worry! for some people it's hard to start dropping the first few pounds. You may be gaining muscle that weighs more than fat and it balances out. The first 4-5 months that I started exercising and eating better, I only lost 2 pounds and it devastated me because I was focusing on the weight. Once I started focusing on how I actually felt (which was way healthier and more active) and the fact that I looked better, I got motivated again! Think that once the weight is off, it will stay off because you didn't take the fast "easy" route! Try to stick with it and keep your hopes up. Attitude is key. :happy:
  • jlvand
    jlvand Posts: 11
    Options
    all scales weigh differently! I recently found out my doctor got a new scale because the one they used forever was not functioning properly any more...also alway weigh on the same scale. If you want to go with the one at work then set yours at home so that it matches, otherwise just always weigh at work! you can do it! don't worry about the numbers!!
  • Bromium
    Bromium Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    This is a bit of a challenge but try to consider this. Placing too much importance on the number you see on a scale will only cause you frustration when it doesn't change every time you look. You are developing good habits by eating better and exercising daily. Use the scale as a way to track your progress, not as the die hard number to beat.

Feel good about developing these new habits and enjoy the changes you see because of them. It is never an easy road reaching a goal, and trying to rush it will only lead you to frustration. All of the scales, calculators, and measurements are just there to show you a numerical value for progress. If you feel better after the past month, stick with that. Numbers can't always show you how you are changing.
  • wishfulpantry
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice, guys.

I think it was my big moment of OMG I CAN'T DO THIS!!! After a glass of water I feel much calmer and yes, even though the numbers were wrong I am still losing weight.

So tomorrow I'm going shopping for a new set of scales!
  • lilmissy2
    lilmissy2 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Definitely agree with Arielle! I can't count the number of times I have explained to patients (who tell me my scale is wrong and their scale at home says they weigh 5kg less :P) that weighing is a comparative process. Ok, so it would be nice to know your exact weight but unless you have one of those fancy, big, old fashioned scales... the one where you have to slide the level bar across... then it's unlikely you will get that. What you will get is a rough idea of your actual weight an idea of whether your weight is going up or down. So yep, I definitely think you have lost weight.