Stress!

Options
Past few days have been stressed out. Didn't log in yesterday and today went 677 (probably more) calories over. I know tomorrow's another day but I HATE when I do this. Why is it sooooo easy to be good one day and soooo easy to be bad another day? I wish I could just stop eating when I get stressed out. This is what I do. I eat.

Replies

• wolverinefactor
    Options
    I get stressed easily and the past few weeks I've been working out instead of pigging out. Throw that anger and/or frustration into a workout, it'll make you feel better and if you crave a snack, you just burnt off enough for one.
  • nikki91950
    nikki91950 Posts: 647
    Options
    do you have a support system at home? do you have somebody to answer to on a daily basis? support is a big thing for me, because sometimes i just need to give me a good kick in the a** to keep me on the right track. i've had so many weeks like that, and stress always plays a large role in it. food makes me feel better, for the moment...and sometimes i just don't care. my mom was my pillar of strength for a good five years, but then i moved away for college, and lost that daily support from her. the only one i had to answer to was myself. i ended up gaining close to the freshman 15 my first year and am still in the process of getting it off again.
  • YummyTpn
    YummyTpn Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I don't know why it is, but what you are going through is something that I go through all the time. I think part of it is accepting that we are not perfect, and that these over-the-top days are going to happen, they're a part of life. However, the main thing is not to give up..allow yourself not to be perfect, and look forward to that clean new slate the next day. Have you thought about alternatives to handling stress? If you plan alternatives, then you can go for them in times of crisis, instead of reaching for food, which is usually automatic. You might even want to make a written list of things you can do in this situation, like: call friend/relative, log onto MFP (which you did, good for you,) take a walk, put on some loud upbeat music and dance/sing along....whatever is realistic for you. Good luck!
  • cakenedith2
    cakenedith2 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    :smile: Thanks everyone. I'm feeling much better and had a really good day yesterday. I have to remember I'm taking baby steps to a healthier me and that I'm not perfect (thanks, Tanya). I joined MFP because I need more support (althought my husband has been great) and logging in and knowing there are others going through the same issues is comforting. I've been a perfectionist my whole life, and beat myself up pretty bad and always turn to food. I'm definately an emotional eater. My mom and I used to "diet" together for years but I can't talk to her about it anymore. She's so negative and it's all about looking good and what people think and of course, I want to look good but I need to feel good first. Does that make sense? I don't feel good when I binge, I feel horrible. So, anyway I will take all of your wondeful tips, like exercising when I'm upset and want to binge and make a list of stress alternatives and keep logging in to MFP and learning from all of you and talking to my husband...and believing in myself.
  • labreemike
    labreemike Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I'm with you after an excellant day I stressed out last night and binged
  • cakenedith2
    cakenedith2 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Let's keep remembering what it's like to have THOSE excellent days!!! :smile:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I get stressed easily and the past few weeks I've been working out instead of pigging out. Throw that anger and/or frustration into a workout, it'll make you feel better and if you crave a snack, you just burnt off enough for one.

huh:huh:

You may have just answered a huge question I was mulling over. I am going to use my extra time for thinking and stressing to work out instead!

I do feel so much better when I have worked out for the day. I am starting to work out first thing in the morning, and prob 30 more minutes at night walking.

:drinker: :drinker:
  • labreemike
    labreemike Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    i'm starting to get irratable if i miss a workout thats a good thing right. my wife says i'm just always irritated. which kinda makes me mad
  • vhuber
    vhuber Posts: 8,779 Member
    Options
    Statistics say exercise relieves stress and I truly believe it!!!! Even if it is 20 minutes of fast walking, your heart rate is up and the endorphins are kicking in!!!!! Also fitness lets you eat more food!!!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options

huh:huh:

You may have just answered a huge question I was mulling over. I am going to use my extra time for thinking and stressing to work out instead!

I do feel so much better when I have worked out for the day. I am starting to work out first thing in the morning, and prob 30 more minutes at night walking.

:drinker: :drinker:

HA! I found this has been bumped again just as I am worried about stressing out at work. See I had a TIA (mini-stroke) and subsequent surgery to fix a hole in my heart, since posting this.

Talk about stress! LOL........so I will now remember that today, on my first day back to work in a month, I can only do what I can do and IF I get stressed, I will walk or do squats or pushups in the bathroom and NOT eat the cake I am SURE they will have for me at the office :laugh:

Thanks!