Ideas for cooking with Nutritional Yeast please

Options
Eat2Win
Eat2Win Posts: 123 Member
I have read what a wonderful addition Nutritional Yeast is to the diet and that it's wonderful for replacing cheese on pizza and
lasagne....etc. Can anyone out there give me some yummy ideas to steer me into the right direction to begin? Also is any brand
better than another?

Replies

• Schmidt722
    Schmidt722 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I sprinkle it over popcorn, and on oven-roasted kale chips. I'd love to hear other ideas as well!
  • AuntieMC
    AuntieMC Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    just be careful to only uses 1 or 2 tbsp....over use can cause major stomach upset ...coming from experience
  • Haikugurl
    Haikugurl Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Nutritional yeast also works great in sauces - mixed with a non-dairy milk and spices. This mac & "cheese" recipe is a good example of how it can be used in a sauce. I like it a lot, though I don't add the spicy stuff to it and I use plain mustard.

cheese, peas, and pasta --- http://kblog.lunchboxbunch.com/2010/07/cheese-peas-n-pasta-meatless-monday.html
  • stevennodine
    Options
    Yes, yes, delish on popcorn and Kale chips.

I make a "cheesy" gravy that I pour over veggies, or baked potatoes or ....

its made from Tahini, yeast, veg broth, & Tamari

I can post the recipie if you want.
  • Eat2Win
    Eat2Win Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Any recipes anyone wishes to share, I am grateful for all.
    I looked up that one for the Cheese, Peas and Pasta............yum, I'm excited already to try it!!
  • Querian
    Querian Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I get mine at Whole Foods in the bulk section and I use it mostly on my popcorn, yum! I have had it in "Mac and Cheez" and a vegan restaurant and it was pretty good that way but I haven't tried making that myself. Looking forward to seeing some recipes :smile:
  • EmilyBullough
    EmilyBullough Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Give it a try if you're interested, but I'll warn you that I personally cannot stand the stuff. It has a really strong smell, and I also didn't like the flavor when I used it in a vegan "cheese" sauce. If you go to a grocery store with a bulk natural foods section, you should be able to buy a small quantity to try it without the investment of a bigger container full.
  • zillah73
    zillah73 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I am so glad someone asked this – I have a giant tub of the stuff and only really use it to make seitan.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Please define.
  • EmilyBullough
    EmilyBullough Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Happy Herbivore is a nice vegan blog where you can find recipes using nutritional yeast.
    http://happyherbivore.com/recipes/?page=1&i1=nutritional+yeast#recipe-box
  • zillah73
    Options
    You're talking about the yeast that causes many illness and yeast infections right???

Nutritional yeast is deactivated – unlike the active yeast used to make breads, wines and beer. Nutritional yeast is actually a complete protein, is sugar- and gluten-free and contains a number of micronutrients. It has a slightly cheesy/nutty taste which is why vegetarians/vegans often use it to flavor foods. It is not the same species as the yeast that causes yeast infections.
  • Haikugurl
    Haikugurl Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    On the Post Punk Kitchen website, I just found a list of her recipes with nutritional yeast in them. Haven't made any of these, but her recipes are usually really good.

http://www.theppk.com/?s=nutritional+yeast
  • jennontheroad
    jennontheroad Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I sprinkle it over everything! quinoa, soups, salads, I love it. It does make my pee a brighter colour and a bit stinky too so I figure I am peeing out some of the vitamins?
    You can also make spread for bread by mixing it with a little bit of olive oil.
  • brilynn79
    brilynn79 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    just be careful to only uses 1 or 2 tbsp....over use can cause major stomach upset ...coming from experience

This and a Niacin flush.

I sometimes add it to salmon or tuna patties. Love it on popcorn.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    You're talking about the yeast that causes many illness and yeast infections right???

Nutritional yeast is deactivated – unlike the active yeast used to make breads, wines and beer. Nutritional yeast is actually a complete protein, is sugar- and gluten-free and contains a number of micronutrients. It has a slightly cheesy/nutty taste which is why vegetarians/vegans often use it to flavor foods. It is not the same species as the yeast that causes yeast infections.

Deactivated how?

I have a beer coming off of the yeast trub from primary in a few days, which will leaving me with about 5 pounds of wet yeast. I guess at the market you'd call it "brewer's yeast" - obviously. :)

Assuming the deactivation is something that's important, and something different from just drying it, you could purchase some malt extract at the local brew shop, and a yeast, and make your own at home for small money.
  • zillah73
    Options
    Deactivated how?

I have a beer coming off of the yeast trub from primary in a few days, which will leaving me with about 5 pounds of wet yeast. I guess at the market you'd call it "brewer's yeast" - obviously. :)

Assuming the deactivation is something that's important, and something different from just drying it, you could purchase some malt extract at the local brew shop, and a yeast, and make your own at home for small money.

I don't know exactly how it is deactivated... probably heat? *shrug* don't know that it is the exact same strain of yeast used in brewing and baking – maybe google could help with that. But it's really not expensive. Even if it's more than $10/pound, it is so lightweight that I never spend more than a buck or two getting it for a recipe if I can find it bulk.