Do BMI's seem unrealistic to anyone else?

Options

Replies

• cubbies77
    cubbies77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Whoever told you that you can't lose weight in your breasts once they are natural size was kidding right? All my life, even when I was 14 & skinny as hell I had big boobs. We are talking BIG. Now that I'm down to the same weight I was back then my boobs are way way way smaller than "natural" size for me. I've lost a huge amount from there.

I don't know where some people get BS from. Seriously...boobs are made of fat...once the fat goes unless you have built up the muscle under it......... ummm sorry but your getting smaller.

Breasts are made of more than fat, there are also milk glands and fibrous tissue.

I got my "BS" from anatomy and physiology classes.

At 14, you may not have reached your final cup size. Some women's breasts change over the years, for a variety of reasons. Regardless, by "natural size", I meant the point where you can't lose additional fat from them because it simply will not happen.
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    *snip*

LOL. I was trying to illustrate a point but I'll admit it was rather subtle.

Fortunately I'm not associated with beachbody so I don't need to fill another 25 pages defending my unfounded ridiculous assertion with a bunch of wishful thinking dressed up in sciency sounding language. :happy:

I think I got your point. You believe that people should be more focused on what their bodies can do than how they look or stack up to statistical averages as a way to determine goals.

The problem is that you're conflating two things, health and fitness. There is some overlap there, but they are not the same. People with high levels of fitness can still be at risk for cardiovascular disease if they are obese, and people who meet all the statistical markers for health can still be woefully unfit. I don't think your assertion was ridiculous or unfounded, I think it had major flaws.

My tone was a catty because I'm personally defensive about my fitness level. Put yourself in my position. You to work your *kitten* off to get your BF%, BMI, WHR, WHtR and whathaveyou into healthy ranges but you still can't do basic fitness things like a handstand. You work your *kitten* off even harder to work at being able to do those things, but they are still months or even years in the future. THEN someone comes up like, "if you were at a healthy weight you could do a handstand."

No. No sir. That is not how it works.
  • upgetupgetup
    upgetupgetup Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    holothuriodea, in fairness to serpwidgets, I doubt he could have guessed you'd had a recent failed handstand experience. And it sucks to see him flashing his handstand all over the place in his picture (actually, I guess that's a headstand). Anyway, hope you can do one of those soon.

I tried last year and it was miserable. I am ascribing it to being much taller since the last time I did one successfully, ~ 22 years and six months ago.
  • janl3
    janl3 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I am 5 foot 3 inches and it says I should weigh 111-148. My goal weight is 150. I look good at this weight. I would look nasty at 111! But its the way I am built. I have larger hips, thighs and butt. When I am 150 people always think I weigh less than that. In my opinon its not all about the numbers. Its how you look and feel :)

I agree..I don't think the "ideal" weight for my 5'2'' frame would look healthy on me..my goal is close to the top end but not fall into the range. I'm trying to be healthier.
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    BMI is a stupid guideline. I have a hard time believing that the majority of people fall in the so called average category in this country ( The USA ). I am 5'5" and I weigh 170 pounds. Right now, my BMI is at 28. So not far from Obese. It is very frustrating because I am not even close to Obese. I wear a size 12 in all my clothes. 10 years ago I wore a size 6 and at that time I weighed 150 pounds. At 150 pounds my BMI is still consider overweight. My best friend who was 135 pounds at the time, and the same height as me, wore the same size clothes as me. We borrowed
    each others jeans. My point is, BMI is garbage. It does not tell you anything useful, other than tell people that they weigh too much without taking anything of real importance into consideration. Did you guys know that the so called overweight border of 25, used to be 27( about 15 years ago ) . What does does that mean . All of a sudden the "experts" changed their mind of what was considered

over weight.
  • charliemarie923
    charliemarie923 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    BMI is a stupid guideline. I have a hard time believing that the majority of people fall in the so called average category in this country ( The USA ). I am 5'5" and I weigh 170 pounds. Right now, my BMI is at 28. So not far from Obese. It is very frustrating because I am not even close to Obese. I wear a size 12 in all my clothes. 10 years ago I wore a size 6 and at that time I weighed 150 pounds. At 150 pounds my BMI is still consider overweight. My best friend who was 135 pounds at the time, and the same height as me, wore the same size clothes as me. We borrowed
    each others jeans. My point is, BMI is garbage. It does not tell you anything useful, other than tell people that they weigh too much without taking anything of real importance into consideration. Did you guys know that the so called overweight border of 25, used to be 27( about 15 years ago ) . What does does that mean . All of a sudden the "experts" changed their mind of what was considered

over weight.

It means they did more research and improved their idea
  • upgetupgetup
    upgetupgetup Posts: 749 Member
    Options

over weight.

That was based on new research showing greater risk to people at 26 and 27, not people just changing their minds on a whim.

I would not look to clothes sizes as evidence of anything. Manufacturers *have* changed those, to make consumers feel less bad about buying clothes ('vanity sizing').
  • Kst76
    Options
    Meh,
    I think clothing size is a great guide line. I am not talking leggings here that pretty much means one size fit all. Clothing sizes has changed over the years however, a size 6 ( US ) or 38 ( Swedish, Im from Sweden ), is a pretty good indicator for me. And I wore that size in almost all clothing and I was at 150 pounds.

Now, at 170 pounds, and borderline obese, I still manage to run for an hour a day at an average 6 mph pace. Yes, I do want to lose some weight. I know I am a little over weight but nobody, who has not seen me in person, can tell me how much overweight I am.
  • Kst76
    Options
    Well, they did not consider very important factors so their research pretty much failed. Which apparently is the opinion of many people.
  • weevil66
    weevil66 Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I feel compelled to interject here that this thread is a bit dangerous. I was so engrossed in reading it that I very nearly walked into my bedroom door.
  • charliemarie923
    charliemarie923 Posts: 275 Member
    Options

over weight.

That was based on new research showing greater risk to people at 26 and 27, not people just changing their minds on a whim.

I would not look to clothes sizes as evidence of anything. Manufacturers *have* changed those, to make consumers feel less bad about buying clothes ('vanity sizing').

EXACTLY!!!!!!!! I think some people just want to deny their BMI eventhough they know its true, because unfortunately the truth hurts... And my BMI is 26 (overweight) so im not just saying that because im thin either.
  • shivles
    shivles Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    BMI is not unrealistic, I'f you're very muscular then maybe you need something else to determine health.

If your BMI is in the healthy range, your BF% is in the healthy range and your waist measurement is within guidelines then you're in good shape, if only BMI was a bit over then yes I would ignore but not for the vast majority of cases.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Ahh my favorite subject! Not.. I've commented on this many times. I'm 5'3 174 pounds with a bmi of 30.8

Classified as obese. Rated as obese. Judged as obese. In order to get to an "acceptable" bmi I would need to get down to about 140ish pounds. And even that would put me at the high end of normal. Almost at the overweight level

Here are the facts. I am currently in recovery week of Insantiy. For those not familar that is the week just before month 2. I currently wear a size 12 and even those are becoming very loose on me. Got some belly fat going on that I'm trying to get rid of thru the program. Measured the waist yesterday and it was 34 inches. Not happy with it, but definitley not the waist of an obese woman.

Toning up in places I never knew existed. And feel great for an almost 50 year old woman.On paper I look like im obese. For insurance purposes I am obese. And of course my bmi has me at obese. Don't know a ton of obese 48 year old women who wear a size 12. I've had a complete blood work up and passed with flying colors. (doc was impressed- I'm not even pre-menapausal yet)

BMI is outdated and should not be used as an acceptable measure of fitness. I am going with the Insanity program, not looking at weight, but striving for a size 8. Not sure what that will weigh when I get there, but I have a feeling my bmi won't consider it healthy

A 34 inch waist on a female is considered a health risk. It is obese. Who are you trying to kid ? Even at my heaviest I was no more than 29 and I am 5'10. Most men have waists below 36.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    So what some people are saying is BMI is wrong if it doesn't match your dress size. Hmmm I suggest you Google vanity sizing. It seems a lot of people are kidding themselves.
  • MissMormie
    MissMormie Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    BMI is a statistical tool to determine the health of large groups of people. So on average it is a perfectly realistic way to measure health.

In real life most people are around the average, meaning that for most people BMI is a good way to determine what a healthy weight should be. Yes, I know it doesn't work for a very muscular athlete with a 9% BF. But really, why are you looking at BMI if you're such an athlete?

So yes. Please look at BMI as being a realistic number.
  • claire_donegal84
    claire_donegal84 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    BMI is a statistical tool to determine the health of large groups of people. So on average it is a perfectly realistic way to measure health.

In real life most people are around the average, meaning that for most people BMI is a good way to determine what a healthy weight should be. Yes, I know it doesn't work for a very muscular athlete with a 9% BF. But really, why are you looking at BMI if you're such an athlete?

So yes. Please look at BMI as being a realistic number.

Agreed. My husband is a doctor and always advises his patients should do their upmost be within their BMI range, even if it is the very top end of their BMI (this is one of the points of BMI... its usually a 3stone (40lb or so) bracket which allows for different body frames like naturally small or big boned etc) - unless of course someone is a muscular athlete etc.. as you said. IF you are of 'average build' being in a healthy BMI range ensures you have a far lower risk of heart disease/stroke/diabetes and hundreds of other illnesses/diseases/health conditions.

If someone's 'underweight' or 'overweight' or 'obese' or 'severely obese' or 'morbidly obese' .... then a healthy BMI weight can seem unachievable... but being as close to a healthy bmi range as possible *does* lower your risk of hundreds of future health problems.
  • cubbies77
    cubbies77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Clothing size is not a great guideline, especially since it varies by manufacturer and your build. That's why most of the MFP "what size are you" threads are ridiculous.

When I weighed 225 back in 2001, I wore a size 20 in Lane Bryant's jeans. I weigh 297 pounds right now, and the jeans I have on (same brand) are size 20.

Sizes have changed quite a bit over the years. Everyone who says Marilyn Monroe wore a size 14 is dead wrong. At the time, sure, but according to her dressmaker's measurements, she would wear a size 6 or 8 today.

The point is, body fat is the best way to determine health, with BMI as a guideline for goal weight. Using one measurement, like your waist, doesn't make any sense since people carry fat differently. When I weighed 165 pounds back in 1994, I could have argued that I was healthy because my waist was 32" and I wore a size 12/14 (that's probably an 8 now :grumble: ). That was completely untrue, though, because the top of the healthy BMI range for my height is 154, and my body fat percentage was around 35%. I would have been kidding myself to say I was healthy because I had a 32" waist. I was in decent shape because I danced, lifted weights, and played sports, but I was still overweight because I wasn't very disciplined about my eating habits.
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    If your waist was 32" in the 90's, you wouldn't wear an 8 now. Mine is 28" and I'm in a 6 now. I gained a couple pounds over the winter and in July my waist was a 27 and I was a 4. I know the sizes have changed, but not THAT much from the 90's. Sure the sizes have changed since the 60's and 70's (my mom still has clothes that are 12's from the year my dad and her were married that she can't get into and buys 8's now). But that was 1974. It's 2013. Things change, except it and move on. Size is a good indicator, or at least something to aim for - I knew when I was pushing a 16 my aim was to get into a 10, I pushed and pushed and way overceded that goal. I was one of those tall girls that didn't think I'd ever see an 8 in my life (I told myself I was just too big boned, which by the way is a bunch of bull that overweight people tell themselves to feel better, sorry...). I'm 5'11 and weight 150 now (143 at my lowest). I'm amazed at how many shorter women feel that being 150-170 is acceptable. If I'm still 'chunky' at 150 and 5'11 (trust me I have plenty that I COULD still lose and still be healthy), 170 and 5'2 IS obese.

BMI is a good indicator if you are an average person. If you lift heavy, have a large percentage of muscle, go by BF% not BMI. But if you are just the average women/man out there trying to deny that your range is "acceptable", then you are kidding yourself. My range as a 5'11 women is 135-179. That's a HUGE range. I'm happy in the mid-ranges. My heaviest was 190 and I was large, overweight, unhealthy and lazy, who ate whatever, whenever. I am the average person who has a sedentary job, that goes home cooks for her man and cleans the house and runs errands and maybe gets out to exercise 2-3 days a week. I'm not in the gym 5-7 days a week and my BF is 23%, which yes, could be better but I'm happy with where I am right now. I'm tired of so many people debating this BMI validity crap.
  • ChgingMe
    ChgingMe Posts: 539 Member
    Options

over weight.

EXACTLY!!!!!!!! I think some people just want to deny their BMI eventhough they know its true, because unfortunately the truth hurts... And my BMI is 26 (overweight) so im not just saying that because im thin either.

Not in denial. Mine has me at obese. I am overweight.
  • ChgingMe
    ChgingMe Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    Ahh my favorite subject! Not.. I've commented on this many times. I'm 5'3 174 pounds with a bmi of 30.8

Classified as obese. Rated as obese. Judged as obese. In order to get to an "acceptable" bmi I would need to get down to about 140ish pounds. And even that would put me at the high end of normal. Almost at the overweight level

Here are the facts. I am currently in recovery week of Insantiy. For those not familar that is the week just before month 2. I currently wear a size 12 and even those are becoming very loose on me. Got some belly fat going on that I'm trying to get rid of thru the program. Measured the waist yesterday and it was 34 inches. Not happy with it, but definitley not the waist of an obese woman.

Toning up in places I never knew existed. And feel great for an almost 50 year old woman.On paper I look like im obese. For insurance purposes I am obese. And of course my bmi has me at obese. Don't know a ton of obese 48 year old women who wear a size 12. I've had a complete blood work up and passed with flying colors. (doc was impressed- I'm not even pre-menapausal yet)

BMI is outdated and should not be used as an acceptable measure of fitness. I am going with the Insanity program, not looking at weight, but striving for a size 8. Not sure what that will weigh when I get there, but I have a feeling my bmi won't consider it healthy

A 34 inch waist on a female is considered a health risk. It is obese. Who are you trying to kid ? Even at my heaviest I was no more than 29 and I am 5'10. Most men have waists below 36.

A woman i know has a 36 inch waist. is 5'1 and weighs about 140 pounds. her bmi is overweight. why is she overweight and not obese. She looks 30 pounds heavier than I do. She does not exercise. Her body fat is also almost at 50%. But her bmi is just in the overweight catagory. we are in a contest with a few other ladies and we share our stats that is how I know all of this.