I have learned my gut is not my gut! This may not be for Me

Options
Today i found out my gut is not my actually gut!!!

The question I had for my doctor:

1) My menstrual has become very heavy, i am normally not a PMSer what could be the problem? As i am balled up ready to :explode: from the pain?

2) I have notice that sexual activity has become very painful... not to put my business out there... but "he is really knocking it out the box" (laughing from my doctor)!!! Me :blushing:

3) No matter how much i exercise as of lately my lower back is starting to hurt my knees feel bad and i get a sharp pain in my lower gut portion... After my GYN checks me out, she says... I believe you have fibroid???:indifferent:

From the doctor: " I am going to set you up with an ultra sound just to make sure"! Me :huh:

WHAT! :sad: What you mean i have a couple of fibroids the size of small oranges one on each side of my uterus and that is why my gut protrudes? She says oranges or a dumbbell... to me they look like huge nuts on each side of my uterus WTH? :cry:

Okay i already had a tubualigation, so i don't have to worry about the children aspect. I still want my uterus and tubes and everything else... So far I have not gotten anymore information as to what they can do about this fibroid. I am only 35, i don't have or use the PMS excuse. I am not ready to be like a mad women going through early change. I AM JUST NOT READY!!

I have a lady on my job every five minutes she yelling she hot and fanning and flipping out on everyone and her is excuse is she is going through the change... I am sorry, i am just not ready for that!:grumble: (Not trying to offend anyone... I am just saying)!!!

Can anyone help provide me more information while, i am waiting on my doctor to get the test results:sad:

Replies

• CharityD
    CharityD Posts: 193
    Options
    I had a partial hysterectomy last year (at age 32) and it was the best thing I've ever done! They left my ovaries so no hot flashes for me. Fibroids usually respond well to uterine artery embolization. It's often a permanent solution and minimally invasive. (I'm a nurse PLUS female-problem-sufferer!)
    Good luck.
  • EboniA
    EboniA Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    First of all, you are a great story teller with all the smileys. :flowerforyou:

I have a friend who went through this. She takes fish oil pills every night which she swears are keeping her in control. She definitely gets moody and hot flashes but both are pretty mild compared to my mom (love you mom). She was in sooo much pain every month that it was a huge relief to have the surgery. It was still a major adjustment in thinking though. You almost have to mourn for that part of yourself you will be losing.

Good luck. I hope you feel better soon.
  • AdymondNtheRuff
    AdymondNtheRuff Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I had a partial hysterectomy last year (at age 32) and it was the best thing I've ever done! They left my ovaries so no hot flashes for me. Fibroids usually respond well to uterine artery embolization. It's often a permanent solution and minimally invasive. (I'm a nurse PLUS female-problem-sufferer!)
    Good luck.

Thank you for that informative information.. That way when I go back I know what to ask for or if this is what she is going to suggest!
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    i can relate to you. when i first started losing weight, i was still gaining inches in my stomach area. i was so peeved! my doctor realized this was abnormal and did an ultrasound. she found a mass (tumor) growing on my uterus. right now, i am taking a nasal spray (i forget the drug's name) to try to reduce the size, but if that doesn't work, my doctor will remove it with a minimally invasive laser surgery.

a hysterectomy is not your only treatment option. hugs.
    dawn
  • tameka1220
    tameka1220 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine had a full hysterectomy in her early 30s. She has 1 child and said she rather take care of it now before the condition worsens. She doesnt have any horrible side effects now either. but she is pain free!
  • AdymondNtheRuff
    Options
    First of all, you are a great story teller with all the smileys. :flowerforyou:

I have a friend who went through this. She takes fish oil pills every night which she swears are keeping her in control. She definitely gets moody and hot flashes but both are pretty mild compared to my mom (love you mom). She was in sooo much pain every month that it was a huge relief to have the surgery. It was still a major adjustment in thinking though. You almost have to mourn for that part of yourself you will be losing.

Good luck. I hope you feel better soon.

Lol!! I have been told that i should right a book many times the way I tell things... Thank you also it looks like I have my work cut out for me!!! Dually noted the flashes.. (Sorry mom) (referring to your mom)...Lol!!!!
  • AdymondNtheRuff
    Options
    Thank you Tameka and Dawn!:flowerforyou:
  • Rynatat
    Rynatat Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I have menstrual issues, prone to cysts, back & knee issues from car accidents, and manic depressive and the one thing I've found that has improved it all is Tai Chi. I don't want to take pills anymore, but I wanted my life back - I do Tai Chi at least once a week and especially during TOM or any TOM-like symptom days, I'll do an extra Tai Chi workout along with my regular workouts. It sounds crazy, but along with what ever you & your doctor decide on, ask if adding a Tai Chi work out would help with healing & long-term control (Scott Cole is one of the best instructors, I have Discover Tai Chi for Weight Loss).
    Good Luck
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,385 Member
    Options
    Ok, I am sorry I can't relate. But I will keep you in my prayers. I always say make sure you get a 2nd opionion any time they cut on your body or take anything out. It is good you are posting here to so you are well informed.
  • brwneyes71
    brwneyes71 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I had a total hysterectomy at age 27 because of firbroid tumors in my uterus and my overaies. I take hormone replacements a low dosage and i don't get the hot flashes. I am 38 now. but it was the best thing that ever happened to me. I am no longer in pain in anymore. I wish you the best of luck.
  • AdymondNtheRuff
    Options
    Thank you browneyes you input is greatly appreciated!:wink:
  • AdymondNtheRuff
    Options
    Mollie I am still your biggest fan:bigsmile:
  • iguanaliz
    iguanaliz Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Oh boy can I relate! I was diagnosed with 3 fibroids last year. Very heavy, painful periods and I swear they swell each month! I don't know if it's because I've lost quite a few inches, but I also think they've grown because I swear I can see them protruding. My doctor wants to avoid surgery if possible, because it's likely I'll be in menopause soon - the women in my family go through it early but I have a feeling I'm the exception. Anyway, she prescribed a natural progesten, which is supposed to ease the symptoms. No such luck - it actually is worse. So I'm going to have a serious discussion about surgery. I don't think I can tolerate this for a couple more years. And I'm certainly not happy about dieting and doing crunches and other ab exercises but still having this swollen gut because of these dang things. I so enjoy being a girl :-(
  • lds25
    lds25 Posts: 68
    Options
    I went through a full abdominal hysterectomy in 2003 when I was only 33 yrs old. I had to get it due to 5th stage endometriosis. I had a very agressive form of Endo so they had to perform an emergency hysterectomy due to a possible risk of hemmorage. I went through a few tough years following the surgery but now its been almost 7 yrs and I am happy that I did it. I hope that you find all that you require. Check out the hysterectomy message board i know it helped me a tonne!

Linda
  • Lisamarie1226
    Lisamarie1226 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I had surgery last May (well, May 2009) to remove some fibroids. I had a totally of 14, yes 14!, of them and they weighed a total of about 500 grams. The biggest one was 13 cm..... My GN said I had 2 really huge ones that were like the size of 2 baseballs and they were at the BACK of my uterus, so that caused the bulk of my lower back pain (in addition to the menstrual cramps).

When she first diagnosed me, she had said she wanted to do the surgery laproscopically. But it didn't turn out that way due the amount of fibroids and the sizes. Oh by the way, when she first found them, I had 2 that were around 3- 31/2 cm and the "big" one was about 6 cm.... so when she suggested I have the surgery sooner than later, it was because they had gotten WAY bigger. I basically had the equivolent of a C-section. And once I do decide to have kids, I will have to have a C-section.

Since my surgery, my PMS related cramps have really subsided and the lower back cramps have practically vanished. I too had painful experiences with intercourse so that's now more enjoyable ;-D

My follow ups have been good. There is the possibility of them returning. Her guess is that IF they do return, it will be WAY later and hopefully after I've had kids so she can just "take it all out".

Good luck to you! Please keep us posted.
  • trejon
    trejon Posts: 203
    Options
    Been there and have tried it all. Pain is constant! So bad that once a month for three days I hurt stepping on my right foot. My fight is over BC in December I am going to have all the pipes removed. Kinda tired of them being gunked up. My insurance will be happy bc they have shelled out a ton of money trying to fix this problem. Hang in there and let God be your guide.
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    I had misery for several years, and after a switch of doctors got a referral to a female OB-Gyn who was also a surgeon. We discussed an oblation, but the cost was almost as much as a laparoscopic hysterectomy, and there was a chance I would STILL need a hysterectomy later. I never had kids, and at the time of this discussion I was already 54, so I decided on the hysterectomy.

We discussed the pros and cons of leaving the ovaries, and I chose to have them removed. If you don't keep them, that is one less spot you can have cancer. As for concerns about HRT, there is some interesting research out there that shows if one starts low dose HRT immediately after the procedure, rather than waiting for symptoms (hot flashes, etc.) to appear, in the long run, they will be better off and avoid some of the issues that are attributed to HRT.

Everyone's situation is different, but if having additional kids is not a priority, I would say get rid of the problem once and for all. Since I had my procedure in January 2009, I have lost almost 60 lbs. The first 50 came off in less than 8 months, and when I experienced some things in my life that put continued weight loss on the back burner, I had no trouble maintaining the loss to that point. I am starting to lose again, and I have never felt better. No more mood swings, no more worrying about heavy flow, no more miserable cramps.

Good luck with your situation, whatever you decide.
  • AdymondNtheRuff
    Options
    Thank you for ad least given me more info... She said mine are both 5cm almost 6cm. I'm thinking that's not that big. I guess wrong and my lower back have started killing me. You're also right ever month it gets worst!
  • AdymondNtheRuff
    Options
    Thank you guys. This one of the best sites for good friends and advice

This funny...

I was at work friday and had a terrible experience... My nerves are already bad bc my flow is so heavy. I had a super plus tampon, long always pad with wings and a wod of tp so thick you prob cold see it in my pants. I had just changed 45 before lunch. I was talking to co worker asked her to check me before I returned to my seat. She said OMG... Meka... So I rush to the rest I told her I have fibriod. She ran told my manager I had thyroids in my neck and I was bleeding down my back...Lol!!! Needless to say the whole gang (girls in our group) sounded as though they were breaking the bathroom door down and there I am shoes on the floor long shirt trying to scrub the little 50pc spot of my pants... I was looking like a deer caught in head lights... I think we all laughed for the rest of the day even though I was very embarrassed.