Swollen muscles??

Options
Ok this is probably a stupid question but I'm going to ask anyways. I just started Insanity 4 days ago (did it a few years ago and decided to do it again). My muscles are super sore which I know is obviously normal but I'm wondering if they could be swollen. Is that possible? I'm weighing an extra 5lbs or so and since I know its not actual fat gained, I was thinking maybe my muscles are swollen. & Also, I remembered reading something about your body retaining water to help repair your muscles so I was thinking it could be as well or a combination of both. Is any of this possible/true?

Replies

• kms1320
    kms1320 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Yes, if you are really that sore, your muscles are holding a lot of water. You'll flush it as they repair and get used to the vigorous activity again. Water weight can vary a lot. It's important not to look at the scale every day early on in a new program. your body has to adapt. You know you're doing the right things. Just keep going. Weigh later.
  • skinnytayy
    skinnytayy Posts: 459
    Options
    Yes, if you are really that sore, your muscles are holding a lot of water. You'll flush it as they repair and get used to the vigorous activity again. Water weight can vary a lot. It's important not to look at the scale every day early on in a new program. your body has to adapt. You know you're doing the right things. Just keep going. Weigh later.

Thanks for your answer! I've been wondering about this for some time now. & I like to weigh in weekly on Wednesdays and decided to skip because I figured I'd probably weigh more and today I decided to go ahead and weigh myself anyways. Good to finally know. Going to avoid the scale for a week or two to give my body some time to adjust. I knew it couldn't be fat ... I eat almost 100% primal plus even before restarting Insanity, I was doing yardwork, long bike rides, long walks with my dog, etc. daily. Again, thank you! & Congrats on the 101lb loss, btw! :smile:
  • Justjamie0418
    Justjamie0418 Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    Yup! I did insanity for a little over 3 weeks, I damaged a ligament in my inner ankle so I had to stop. But I loved it. I am now lifting heavy instead.

Anyway I gained like 4 pounds on Insanity and a week later dropped it all. From what I have read the muscles will store water to help repair them. I am fluctuating right now big time as well with my new weight routine, I don't feel the urge to weigh as much as I was.. it was ridiculous, but I lost inches regardless of what the scales said. Weigh in a week or so, you should be good.
  • denezy
    denezy Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Drinking more water will help to flush it out. Way to work hard!
  • skinnytayy
    skinnytayy Posts: 459
    Options
    Glad to get some insight from someone who has done Insanity before ... I'm sure you can imagine my pain. hahaha. This time around, my calfs & hamstrings are giving me hell. If I flex them it feels like a charlie horse type pain. Grrrr! I can't wait to get past the sore phase.

Thanks for mentioning that, Denezy. I was going to ask that question as well. I'm so bad with getting enough water everyday. Definitely something to work on. Thank you!!
  • ecw3780
    ecw3780 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Since I don't lift on the weekends, I try to weigh at the beginning of the week after I have recovered over the weekend (just cardio). If I weigh any other day, my weight can fluctuate up 5 pounds. This is also why I don't log any weight gains...unless I know I haven't been sticking to my goals.
  • fitnessbuilding
    Options
    Green tea is a best drink, that protects us from sore muscles and allows us to maintain fitness. :):):)
  • Tamstar1985
    Tamstar1985 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    hoo boy!

i've done two rounds of insanity, one of which was a p90x/insanity hybrid, and i had so so so much swelling going on, especially during the first month. i would pound water and massage my legs (esp. my quads) and that helped a little bit.

recently started a new programme with my personal trainer and my legs were so swollen on tues/weds this week... i was shocked. like it actually was hard to pull on my trousers. i think after that first training session i was holding about 2kg of water the following day. be persistent, though! the swelling usually doesn't last that long, and drinking loads of water really helps :D