Heavy lifting for beginner woman

Options
I've been doing cardio for a while and the reading I've done suggests that lifting would also be good for me. I have started using some of the machines in the gym but not sure if i am doing it right... I got the trainer in the gym to show me how to use the machines and I have used weight machines before so I think my technique is ok.

What I'm looking for for help with is the heavy lifting idea. As far as i can understand, I need to select the highest weight that I can lift then do 5-8 reps slowly. The number of reps is determined by the point at which my muscles can't do any more. I have a short rest then repeat. If it's too easy (ie I get to eight and could keep going) then I increase the weight. I do 3 sets, once I have got the weight to the point where it is nearly too much.

Is this the correct way to do this?

Should I be writing down what weight I got to? I just give it a go and work up to the max weight.

Is it ok to just chose the machines I like? I like the leg raise, the hip and inner thigh one which looks like a gynaecological torture machine. This one not too heavy as i have a weakness and tend to pull the muscles easily there. And the arm/shoulder one where you pull back your outstretched arms at shoulder height. I also sometimes do an abdominal one where you stand on steps at the sides, rest on your lower arms on the shelves and raise legs up which is hard.

Will what I am doing help me keep the lean while I lose the fat?

And the silly question - is this lifting heavy?

Replies

• weffie11
    weffie11 Posts: 91
    Options
    From the reading I've done on here, heavy lifting tends to be free weights as it uses more muscles to stAbilise your body. I'm sure people will come and tell you what to do, but you can search on the forums for beginner heavy lifting, google strong lifts or PM me and I'll try to give you more info
  • juliekins64
    juliekins64 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I started out just like you so I will tell you how I did it with no trainer.

I have had great success, my arms, legs, butt are super tight you could almost bounce a coin off them :-)
    My tummy is not there yet but I've had 2 kids so I might never have a super tight midsection however it is way better than before. Cardio is great for burning calories and getting into shape but lifting is what sculpts your body + you continue to burn calories afterwards. The benenfits of gaining more muscle is that is takes more calories to sustain them thereby making you able to ate more and not gain :-)

I researched to make myself a list of exercises that are time efficient and effective. I made an Excel list of the exercises in one column, another column to write how many reps & sets and another colomn for weight lifted. I then found images from Google and made myself a Word document that I take with me so I remember how to do them.

Next I lifted heavy enough but not my max so I could practice doing them correctly, bad form while lifting is like cheating plus you can hurt yourself. I did this for about 3 sessions before I started to add more significant weight.

Next I developed a plan, I have around 12-15 exercises and I do half each session at the gym. The next session I do the other half. I pick a lower body exercise for 10 reps followed by an upper body 10 reps then a 30-60 sec break. I do this 3 times. I don't do 2 upper or 2 lower body exercises together because it causes those muscles to become fatigued and then I can't lift as heavy. If I lifted closer to my absolute max weight then I would do less reps but I am satisfied at this point with how things are going.

I go to the gym 3 times per week, less if I am sore. You should go at least once per week and no more than 3 times per week if you are lifting heavy. With cardio you want to spend lots of time doing it, with lifting you spend less time but must work hard. Heavy is subjective, they said by the tenth rep the thought of lifting even one more time is exhausting. I get as close to that as possible without overdoing it. Unlike cardio you do not get ahead by trying too hard.

I make myself a protein shake (powder + water) afterwards, this is not necessary but because I am restricting calories I want to increase my protein so all my hard work lifting isn't wasted. Everyone has different thoughts on this. You will not get bulky, I promise. This is physically impossible for most of us, the ones that do become bulky eat a certain way to support that kind of growth + train like it's their job. I have been at this months and am not bulky but have leaned out, feel stronger and am generally happier. I feel like a hero doing my sessions even when what I'm lifting is less than what the men do.

I want to mention that free weights (dumbells and barbells) are generally better than using the machines because machines force you into their range of motion, I am short so they don't work the muscles how they supposed to because I don't fit well into the machines. Think about it this way, whats better, doing crunches on the ground pulling your body weight up or using one of those stupid ab machines that make it easier? If it's easier it's because you're not working hard and if you're not working hard you won't get the same results.

Some people split their exercises, upper one session and lower the next session. I believe in full body workouts as they are more efficient with my time and at least is something happens and I can't go the next time my whole body still got a good workout instead of just one portion of it. Exercising is like religion, people are passionate and have extreme opinions. Just like religion what works for one does not work for all however they all follow pretty much the same basic principles. Do what works for you so that you can continue doing it, if you go by what someone else wants you to do then you could lose interest easier. As time goes on you will know what you like and what works for your lifestyle so that you can maintain it.

Here is my list of exercises, I amend as time goes on because I discover new ways or new exercises that work more muscles.

Lower Body
    Squat
    Step Ups onto bench (usually holding a dumbell in each hand doing a bicep curl)
    Deadlift (sometimes stiff leg, sometimes one legged)
    DB knee lifts
    DB Lunge

Upper
    Bench Press (I use dumbells instead of barbells so I don't need anyone to spot me)
    Push Ups
    Flye
    Shoulder Press
    Chin Ups
    Tricep Extension
    One arm DB row

Core
    Medicine Ball twists
    Knee pull ups (handing from bar by arms and pulling knees up to chest)
    Bicycle crunches
    Plank Hamstring Curl (lie on back, leg on ball and pull inwards)

I do 10 min of cardio before starting any lifting to warm up (this is a must) and to do half of the above exercises it takes me anywhere from 35-45 min, that includes my setting up the weight and putting them back (also a must). I am out of the house for a total of about 60 min, I live close to my gym. I also run a lot for cardio, it's not necessary but it burns calories so I can eat like a healthy pig if I feel like it. If a gym is too expensive look up playground exercise routines using your own body weight, they would work too but you would have to have strong will power to complete them all. Lifting changes everything :-)

Good luck!
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I'd start with an established program, such as Stronglifts, Starting Strength (the book is worth reading for discussion of form), or New Rules of Lifting for Women. You might find these groups useful:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/4618-stronglifts-5x5-for-women
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/102-new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-nrol4w