When is the best time to weigh myself?

Options
Hi Everyone,

I just started Myfitnesspal yesterday and weighed myself around 3:30 in the afternoon. At that time i was 156lbs. This morning when I weighed myself before any foods I'm 153lbs. I know I haven't lost weight yet so I am just wondering what weight should I go by?? Do I deduct from the 156 or the 153? Should I only weigh myself in mornings or in evenings? Thanks so much !

Replies

• bullencraig
    Options
    I normally try and weigh myself on the same day each week at the same time wearing the same cloths.

For me it tend to be on a friday morning wearing bed cloths before i get into the shower etc.

At least that way my weigh ins should be consistent. I know if I weigh myself in the evening after my tea say 7pm ish i can have "put on" 5-6 lbs throughout the day.

craig
  • kimelliott14470
    Options
    I've heard the best time is in the morning, preferably after a bathroom run and before you consume anything. Just make sure you do it around the same time in the mornings.
  • SGSmallman
    SGSmallman Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Using scales isn't going to give you honest or accurate results, checking your body fat % and lean mass is the best way.

But if you're keen on using the scales, weigh yourself first thing in the morning after you've been to the bathroom and before you take in any fluids or solids.

Weight can fluctuate up or down by 5lbs depending on if you had a big meal, high intake of sodium leading to bloating.

I weight myself once a fortnight but I prefer to see how i look in the mirror and how my clothes feel.

Taking pictures is also another way to track progression.

But end of the day it's how you feel that matters.
  • Donna_Houghton
    Donna_Houghton Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    To be honest, it doesn't matter what time you weigh yourself, as long as you weigh yourself at the same time each weigh in.

Personally I weigh myself first thing in the morning once a week on the same day (Saturday - so that I can eat a little extra that day and have a full week to work it off :wink: )

If I were you, I'd go by the first weight you thought you were but set a regular time to weigh - doesn't have to be 3.30pm and it doesn't have to be once a week. Just whatever time takes your fancy, and what you feel will motivate you most - then stick to that.

The main thing is to do what works for you and what you feel most comfortable with.

Good luck!!! :flowerforyou:
  • Squeeks70
    Squeeks70 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself in the mornings and log my weightloss based on that!
  • felicebond
    felicebond Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    The morning before breakfast is reportedly the best time to weigh yourself.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    I've heard it's best to weigh in morning, I'm also 156, and people have said to only weigh yourself once per week, due to daily fluctuations like retained water,ect......I actually put my scale away, cuz I was constantly getting on it to see if all my hard work has paid off, and when it would fluctuate I would get discouraged...
  • tndejong
    tndejong Posts: 463
    Options
    i typically weigh myself in the mornings. but i joined a weightloss contest with friends on my facebook and the scale can vary big time. it can vary depending the scale, what you have on, time of day, etc. my scale and weighing in the mornings varied by 8 lbs when it came time to weigh in for the contest. i have had a 2-3 lb difference in the evenings. i can weigh myself before a workout and go up cause of the water from the workout. over all, the scale is evil lol.
  • Add76
    Add76 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    In the morning after all bathroom stuff, and before getting dressed. I wait until I get the same reading a couple of times (over a few days) before I accept it as a true loss of weight.
  • marilynolivares1
    marilynolivares1 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I think first thing in the morning is best. Also keep in mind that your weight will fluctuate during your monthly period. Good luck to you or your journey.
  • emmsw42
    emmsw42 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone!