30 yr old female with Hysterectomy ????

Options
I just had a Complete Hysterectomy done like 3 weeks ago and im still bloating and hurting in my abdmonal area does anyone know what might be causing the pain? ive been doing Zumba for like 2 days now ...

Replies

• margieparkins
    margieparkins Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    thats a bit silly, too soon for zumba, my daughter is 34 and 2 weeks from having had the same thing, blue coded which means she had a bad turn, she is not even thinking about exercising yet, way too soon
  • taz69tazz
    taz69tazz Posts: 57
    Options
    thats a bit silly, too soon for zumba, my daughter is 34 and 2 weeks from having had the same thing, blue coded which means she had a bad turn, she is not even thinking about exercising yet, way too soon

i mosty do like the arm movement with like jogging in place .. the doctor said i could walk ..i was just wondering if i didnt hurt or injure myself in any way ...im just like very bloated and in pain
  • alyssa92982
    alyssa92982 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Exercising too soon, pretty sure u need to wait at least 6 weeks or more for a surgery like that.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    I just had a Complete Hysterectomy done like 3 weeks ago and im still bloating and hurting in my abdmonal area does anyone know what might be causing the pain? ive been doing Zumba for like 2 days now ...

Too soon!! Most recovery time is at least 6 weeks. Seek your doctors approval to return to exercise.

Edit to add, we can't tell you what you did. If you're in pain, see your physician and be honest with him.
  • Miinan
    Miinan Posts: 1
    Options
    I was your age when I had my hysterectomy, I had to take it easy for 3 months. After that 3 months, I resumed my activities. Take it easy, young lady, your body just went through a major process, and so did you!
  • margieparkins
    margieparkins Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    well said every one. please listen to our friends on here, that is why we are here, too soon, get well then go for it,
  • LuciaLongIsland
    LuciaLongIsland Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Have you spoken to your doctor. I had mine at 35 and couldn't even stand up straight. No offense but you are nuts? No exercise is worth your health.
  • daniellemm1
    daniellemm1 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I had mine five years ago at 31 and I was pretty much out of commission for 5 weeks. I could barely lift anything until 4 weeks. I certainly would not have been able to exercise after only 3 weeks. Take it easy or your recovery will take longer.
  • dakitten2
    dakitten2 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other posters. Most surgeries they wont even allow you to drive for six weeks. Your body needs time to heal. I also had a hysterectomy in my 30's. I think you probably need to talk to the doctor about the pain you are having and stop the exercise until your healing has taken place.
  • taz69tazz
    taz69tazz Posts: 57
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the help and the concern .. i am going to take it easy , i just thought i was fine (had no pain whats so ever), but i got to put my weight loss on hold and just watch my intake
  • SmallMimi
    SmallMimi Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    Exercising too soon, pretty sure u need to wait at least 6 weeks or more for a surgery like that.

^^^this^^^
  • girlfromOklahoma
    girlfromOklahoma Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I definitely think you should consult your doctor before doing zumba so soon after a hysterectomy. That is a very serious surgery that requires quite a bit of recovery.
  • jrbb03092
    jrbb03092 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Apparently it used to be 6 weeks recovery but the latest research/findings (this via a surgeon) say 10 weeks. Definitely too soon regardless of which you go with. Rest up or you could put yourself out of commission a lot longer.
  • Junken_Diraffe
    Junken_Diraffe Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I'd like to point out that now hysterectomies are done much differently than they were 15 years ago. Now, it's generally a laproscopic procedure. Mine was robotic. I had mine at 29. The 3 month thing is a bit much. I DO agree that you're pushing to much too soon though. Even though it's less invasive, your body needs time to adjust. You basically had half your insides ripped out, your body needs to figure out how to settle back down. Until that time, you're going to be very uncomfortable upon any sort of physical exertion. PLEASE just stick to walking. That is what your doctor released you to do, not jogging or anything else.
  • lrob100
    lrob100 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    WAY TOO SOON FOR ZUMBA OR ANYTHING ELSE!! Maybe--and I mean maybe---very very slow walking. Most drs advise NOTHING not even casual walking for exercise for 6 weeks minimum. Your body needs to heal. PLEASE don't do zumba or anything else for a long while. There's plenty of time to get in shape after you are completely healed. Now is not the time.
  • teachmom32
    teachmom32 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    What type of hysterectomy did you have? I had a laparascopic assisted vaginal hysterectomy and I was feeling better after about 3 weeks. By feeling better, I mean able to buckle my seatbelt and drive without having to put a pillow on my stomach. When I went for my post-op appointment, though, my doctor still found undissolved stitches after 4 weeks and told me to still take it easy so I didn't rip any of the stitches. My advice to you-walk if you want to exercise, but don't do anything too strenuous. While you may feel great and look great on the outside, your inside is still healing.
  • kwagganin
    kwagganin Posts: 34
    Options

This! You should wait 6weeks!
  • barbaratrollman
    barbaratrollman Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I'm with everybody else here. I had a radical hysterectomy back in 2001. It was a long time....at least 3 months, before I could exercise. I had the surgery on Nov. 28th and didn't even get the catheter out until mid January the next year. It really sucked.

One thing that was key to my recovery and was also essential for me to be able to poop, was focusing on eating extremely high fiber fruits and veggies and drinking a lot of water. The absolute worse thing about the surgery was the constipation that lasted for 3 weeks afterward, until I got a clue and quit eating anything other than high fiber foods and lots of water. Set me right and once I was right, I stayed right.

When you've given yourself time to heal, weight training is going to be huge for helping you to deal with the slam dance into menopause. That is how I started getting better and adjusting. I was not able to get back to my old, energetic self, until I began to weight train and get back to cardio exercises.
  • Maryaly40
    Maryaly40 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Girl, take a break!!! I had mine in 2009 and seriously I wasn't back to myself for like 6 weeks!!! Give yourself some time when it comes to exercising. You can do damage to yourself. Removing of the uterus is TRAUMATIZING to the rest of the organs in there!!!! Seriously, just take walks and watch your eating so you wont gain weight. I would not Zumba for a few more weeks. Listen to your body!!!!!
  • bookyeti
    bookyeti Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Definitely way too soon!

It's difficult to wait, I can understand, but you *NEED* to give your body time to heal internally or else you can do a lot of damage. My surgeon told me it takes a good 5-8 weeks to heal properly -- sometimes longer, depending on the person.

I am 34, and I had a total hyst 2 years ago (due to fibroid complications). As I healed, I did some simple things like going out for short walks and playing a bit on the Wii Fit. But absolutely NO lifting and twisting.

Edited to add that my hysterectomy was via an abdominal extraction (almost a 6" incision in the abdomen). This is the hyst with the longest recovery time. Sometimes they can extract it vaginally - which lessens recovery time - however, my uterus was too large for that. Laparoscopic Hysts also have shorter healing times, but they don't do them here where I live.