How to lose fat

Options

Replies

• Griffin220x
    Griffin220x Posts: 399
    Options
    Wow tons of comments, will have to go through these tomorrow morning. Have a goodnight everyone. I busy for the afternoon sorry. Peace :bigsmile:
  • yacinouz
    yacinouz Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi, I want to know how i can lose some fat (i'm overweight and i have 30 lbs to lose). I'm already going at the gym 2 times a week, I can't go more often because my school schedule really sucks and I don't have much time. At the gym, I'm doing cardio and some exercices to get my muscles bigger (lifting weights, etc). On the calorie counter, it says that I cannot go over 1810 calories per day to lose 1 lb/week.

Am I doing this right or do I have to change some stuff to have better results ?

Also, when I will finaly reach my weight goal, do I still have to keep eating 1810 calories par day to maintain my weight ? Will I get fat if I start eating normaly ?

Please answer me and sorry for my english it's not my native language :)
  • Annelies11
    Annelies11 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    So I need to eat at a deficit to lose body fat, but I need to eat at a surplus to gain muscle. I want to do both at the same time. What do I do??? Should I choose the middle road and eat at maintenance? (TDEE)? Or go back and forth between deficit and surplus?
  • Griffin220x
    Options
    1. Lift Weights at least 3 times a week
    2. Eat 1g of protein per lbs of LBM
    3. Adjust calories to lose 1lb to 2lbs per week

Edit: typos yet again...ughh

Wait?! What?! No cleansing or detoxing? Or green coffee beans, raspberry ketones? I don't have to give up pasta for the rest of my life? And what if I have a desk job?! Do I need to become a gluten free vegan low carb intermittent faster? Should I not eat after 7pm?!?!?

Sorry I've been on the forums to much lately. Excellent solid straight forward advice!!! Thanks for the post!!! :flowerforyou:

Thats why I made this because I'm sick of all the dumb lies and fads, it's time to wake up MFP. Your community hasn't got a clue. :tongue:
  • Griffin220x
    Options
    LBM Formula

Bodyweight - (Bodyweight x Bodyfat %) = LBM

For everyone that asked.
  • Griffin220x
    Options
    Some Tips:
    -Eat some fruit, veggies/salad, and some essential fatty acids (EFAs) every day.
    -Above that eat whatever you want, preferably a wide variety of foods.
    -Adjust your food intake so that the desired rate of weight loss is maintained. (generally 1-2lbs per week is recommended)
  • Griffin220x
    Options
    Holy crap - hold up... other than protein shakes/supplements, how the hell am I supposed to eat 1 gram of protein per lb of body weight? I weight 210 right now, and 210 grams, or even 158 grams of protein is 2-3 times as much protein as I eat in a regular day, and I thought that was a LOT of protein!

eta: I already drink protein shakes fairly regularly for breakfast/post workout recovery, I'd just have to drink like 12 of them a day or something...

not body weight, but LBM=Lean Body Mass.
  • Griffin220x
    Options
    Questions about TDEE answered (hopefully):

1. They are a good starting point but in accurate.
    2. Don't rely on it too much.
    3. The scale (some digital scales may be affect by temperature, be aware)/mirror/clothes/how you feel is a much better to determine how many calories to consume.
    4. Adjust your caloric intake to suit your desired rate of weight loss via the above^^^
  • Griffin220x
    Options
    I didn't see anything in your post about coffee enemas or water fasts so I'm going to assume you don't know science.

:tongue:

No but what I do know about is common sense :bigsmile:
  • Griffin220x
    Options
    Why is everyone arguing with Griffin220X? He seems like he's in pretty good shape so perhaps people can learn a thing or two from him. Everyone has a different way of losing weight and that was his way. Enough already. Move on.

I like his abs =)

Why, thank you. :bigsmile:
  • khayashi80
    khayashi80 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Sorry, feel like an idiot for asking but what is LBM?
  • khayashi80
    khayashi80 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    And how do you measure your LBM, I only know my body weight and body fat percentage
  • Griffin220x
    Options
    Sorry, feel like an idiot for asking but what is LBM?

I aswered that in the posts above yours.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    y'all are giving me a friggen headache!

I just wanna lower my BF% & I am having a HELL of a time doing it.

I lift weights 3 times a week (30-45 min) I eat clean (protein..check, healthy fats only.. check, complex carbs..check)

I cant walk... I end up running which includes hilly terrain and sprint intervals 3 times a week for about 45 minutes

I drink like a gallon of water a day.

WHATS MY PROBLEM? I am 135 @ 5'6 and 26% BF :(

how many calories are you eating?

I am eating 1300. But I eat my exercise calories back. I sit at a desk all day with a little walking... So I am pretty much Sedentary. I JUST read a forum that said I should try a 30% Carb intake, 50% Protein, and 20% Fat... is this about right? I am going to change my settings if so...

I'd be surprised, very surprised, if 1300cal is enough, considering your activity level outside of work. I worked with a 39yr old 5'2" tall woman awhile back. She couldn't burn fat unless I made her eat well over 1500cal, with 2000cal turning out to be the magic number (it took awhile to get her to go that high). Granted she was a nurse...but even still. With your age (younger), etc...I don't believe 1300 is realistic.

What is your average over a week? Since you say you eat back your exercise calories?

I am averaging about 1,500 calories. My Net average is 1,070. SOOOO maybe Im not eating my calories back? lol. I thought I was...

Eat more, woman. :D

Also, at 5'6" and 135, you probably don't need to focus as much on "weight loss" as much as on "body recomposition." You might want to try to set MFP to maintenance (and eat back calories) and make sure you're challenging yourself on the weight lifting. Check out Starting Strength, NROLW, or Strong Lifts for the gym stuff, and Convict Conditioning, or You Are Your Own Gym (bodyweight exercises) for at home.

Find a setup you can work with, and you'll likely start seeing the results you're looking for. The scale won't show it, but the tape measure will. :)
  • Annelies11
    Options
    So I need to eat at a deficit to lose body fat, but I need to eat at a surplus to gain muscle. I want to do both at the same time. What do I do??? Should I choose the middle road and eat at maintenance? (TDEE)? Or go back and forth between deficit and surplus?

And I don't necessarily want to lose weight.
    Anyone?
  • Griffin220x
    Options

Anyone?

Yeah, you could recomp. Eat at maintenance, lose fat and gain muscle. in this case rule #3 woud change to: adjust your calories to maintain current weight.

Or you could try this approach. Go up in weight a few pounds and then recomp at about that weight until bodyfat is where you would like it to be and then go up in weight again, and so on. Very easy to do without having to constantly drop down calories and be in a deficit. This approach may be your style^^^ or geared towards men wanting to have bigger muscles with minimal fat gain.
  • Griffin220x
    Options

Anyone?

Yeah, you could recomp. Eat at maintenance, lose fat and gain muscle. in this case rule #3 woud change to: adjust your calories to maintain current weight.

Or you could try this approach. Go up in weight a few pounds and then recomp at about that weight until bodyfat is where you would like it to be and then go up in weight again, and so on. Very easy to do without having to constantly drop down calories and be in a deficit. This approach may be your style^^^ or geared towards men wanting to have bigger muscles with minimal fat gain.

^^This could be another thread in and of itself though.
  • Annelies11
    Options

Anyone?

Thank you thank you, i will try that!
  • Griffin220x
    Options

Anyone?

Thank you thank you, i will try that!

You're welcome! PM me if you need any motivation/support/questions. Good luck!
  • mryak750
    mryak750 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    #4. Check out bodybuilding.com...forum "Losing Fat" and read the stickies...detailed explanation of the first three rules..