What's good to count calories burned, HRM, FITBIT?

Options
I'm not sure the calories burned calculator on MFP is correct. It seems kind of high sometimes so I was wondering, what device works best for tracking calories burned during a workout? I've been doing much better since my return the end of January on tracking calories but I want to start adding regular exercise. MFP dropped me to 1250 calories per day (after my pounds lost reached 20) with no exercise and I've read varying opinions on whether or not to eat back exercise calories. I'm planning on eating back no more than half my calories burned to see how my body reacts to that but I would like to have something that is better able to track those calories burned. So, what seems accurate and is not to complicated to setup and use?

Replies

• marx4
    marx4 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I have a polar HRM and love it. The MFP calculator is not individualized, whereas the HRM is, has your stats. I chose Polar over Fitbit, got it for < $100 on amazon. BUT, it's personal preference. Good Luck!!
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest a heart rate monitor to estimate calories burned while working out. A fitbit is more of a motivational tool to give you an idea of your TDEE overall and get you moving more. I have and use both, but the HRM is a more useful tool for me overall.

Keep in mind that they're all merely estimates.
  • NutellaAddict
    NutellaAddict Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    Polar FT4. It comes with a chest strap.
  • kluedesigns
    kluedesigns Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    if its between a Fitbit and a HRM i'd have to go with the HRM - i have both along with a BodyMedia Fit and found the Fitbit was only reliable for walking, the heart rate monitor was reliable for all moderate/high intensity exercise but was slightly off for yoga/pilates/etc (low intensity stuff), and the BodyMedia Fit was reliable for all intensity but its something you wear all day on your arm which bothers some people.
  • jsbieniek
    jsbieniek Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Just my 2 cents:
    I have a fitbit and I love it, it syncs automatically so it is very easy to use.
    My friend has the Nike fuelband and loves it too.
    The BodyMedia has a monthly plan to pay into although I think it comes with so many months free.
    I have heard that you can't replace the battery on the Polar, it has to be sent in.
    I bought an HRM at WalMart and tried it but it's going back. It said I burnt 183 calories doing 1 hour of Zumba. Umm, I don't think so!
    Hope that helps a little.
  • elaineirene84
    elaineirene84 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Definitely HRM. I wear it when I work out and enter the amount it gives me which is usually several hundred calories less than MFP comes up with. Nothing is 100% accurate but HRM is pretty close.
  • MG_Fit
    MG_Fit Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    ^ I agree. Fitbit seems more like a pedometer type of device, whereas a HRM would be used for workouts. I personally use a Polar HRM to track my workouts. And realistically you should try to eat back all of your cals burned.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    I have heard that you can't replace the battery on the Polar, it has to be sent in.

Not true. The new Polar HRMs - including the popular and affordable Ft4 and FT7 - all have user-replaceable batteries. I used an FT7 for almost two years, replacing the battery in the watch once and transmitter twice at a battery store for around $5 each time.
  • jlbeals
    jlbeals Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I use a combination of fitbit and HRM - Heart rate monitors aren't really meant to be worn all day, but I like to know if I've been active enough or more active than usual during the day. The fitbit does a good job, in my opinion, of tracking calories from running or walking - anything that involves steps, but isn't that great at things like yoga or pushups. I wear my fitbit all the time, and run my HRM during my actual exercise if I'm doing something other than running. When you enter the start time and duration of your exercise into MPF, it overrides the fitbit reading so your exercise doesn't count twice which is nice. Fitbit will automatically update to MFP but you have to add in your HRM readings yourself.

If you're planning on making jogging or walking or something step-related your main exercise outlet, you could probably get away with just a fitbit, but overall, HRMs are the most accurate for all types of cardio workouts.

Most heart rate monitors and the fitbit are fairly easy to setup and use.
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    The advantage of sending it in is if you swim with it. When you send all of it in, they replace both batteries and re-check it to be sure that it is safe to use in water.

For the OP: Fitbit is not accurate for all exercise. I LOVE mine, but I know it is not always accurate.

D
  • ze_hombre
    ze_hombre Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    As others have said Fitbit is only good for tracking steps, which is great for most of the day when you don't want to wear a HRM. However, if you are wanting an accurate measure of calories burned during a workout, you should have an HRM. I use a Zephyr HxM for when I run and I wear my Fitbit the rest of the day.
  • mikel_antilles
    mikel_antilles Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I would recommend a HRM that uses a chest strap. I've heard of a lot of questionable results with the straight wrist strap HRM.

I'm happy with any workout that burns 10cal/Min. Straight cardio should actually be more than that.

I started only counting cardio calories burned, and i'm subtracting out any calories burned during weights. I figure this helps keep me honest on any variability.
  • maegmez
    maegmez Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    The fitbit is just a fancy expensive pedometer. I would rather spend my money on a good hrm. I'm in a position right now where my resting heart rate is so low now (45, low to me) that I have to run or do high impact aerobics to really burn calories. If I had based my calories burned on the fitbit, I would be given way overestimated calories burned.

None of them are accurate but having a hrm adds your heart rate to the calculation and that's going to be closer to accuracy than the fitbit. The fitbit would have been a waste of money to me.

I workout 1 hour a day and record my workout calories. I don't worry about the rest of the day and I don't need an expensive device tell me how many steps I did or didn't take. I walk enough but I hardly burn any calories walking.
  • dbrady102
    dbrady102 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'm thinking HRM sounds like the way to go.