Depression and diet :/

Options
So i fell off course a few days ago and have came back today...
I have been feeling so so so depressed lately, i have tried my hardest to eat well in the past weeks and i don't seem to be seeing anything from it..
I just feel like crap, my bones ache, headaches to the maximum, and just wanna sleep. Also cannot concentrate on anything anymore either, i just wanna scream!
Ive been practically begging my doctor for thyroid test but she is pants, she diagnosed me with ibs 2 years ago and i went with uti and stomach cramps but i suggested they may be my ibs and she says.... Who said you have that?!
Sorry for the rant just wanted to basically know if anyone can shed any light on this, is/has anyone been like this in regards to feelings??

Replies

• Sweet_Gurl_Next_Door
    Sweet_Gurl_Next_Door Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I sure have. first there is a group here on mfp that is really helpful to me called food and feelings.

this would classify as an emotional eater of sorts. your emotions can cause you either to eat when you are sad or in my case not eat when I am feeling that way. it effects different people.

for me I journal and write about my feelings and it helps me get it out. since its only me who sees it I don't have to hold anything back. It doesn't matter if it makes since or not. the key is to write as long or as much as you need to.
  • kaycevaughan
    kaycevaughan Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    First of all, I would definitely be looking for a new doctor and get a second opinion.

But to the depression aspect, I promise eating better helps and exercise definitely does. Before I started back on this journey in October last year, I had been diagnosed with anxiety due to high levels of stress for too long. It was awful. I hated taking the medicine for it. But after I started, it seemed to be calming down. Even when I got off track for a couple months. I'm not saying my anxiety is completely better; my stress levels definitely not. However, I don't have full on anxiety attacks like I used to. It's proven that exercise helps improve your mood. Try getting out for a walk. Even if its 10 minutes a day.

Hope this helps :) Feel free to add me as a friend if you'd like! I'll do my best to keep you motivated
  • Maggie1moo
    Maggie1moo Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I sure have. first there is a group here on mfp that is really helpful to me called food and feelings.

this would classify as an emotional eater of sorts. your emotions can cause you either to eat when you are sad or in my case not eat when I am feeling that way. it effects different people.

for me I journal and write about my feelings and it helps me get it out. since its only me who sees it I don't have to hold anything back. It doesn't matter if it makes since or not. the key is to write as long or as much as you need to.

Hello, thanks for replying im going to search for that group now. This is like a big issue of mine, god bless both of you!
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I know it's hard to drag yourself out the door when dealing with depression - believe me, I've sooooo been there.

I still deal with SAD and Generalized Anxiety Disorder. It sucks. It really, really sucks. But getting outside and just going for a walk (or now, running), has made a huge impact for me - please try it! Even just a 15 minute walk has really helped.
  • thesoup11
    thesoup11 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Hi i been down also relly tired
  • thesoup11
    Options
    I am feelin crappy does anyone pray
  • thesoup11
    Options
    Can u help what diet u on
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    So i fell off course a few days ago and have came back today...
    I have been feeling so so so depressed lately, i have tried my hardest to eat well in the past weeks and i don't seem to be seeing anything from it..
    I just feel like crap, my bones ache, headaches to the maximum, and just wanna sleep. Also cannot concentrate on anything anymore either, i just wanna scream!
    Ive been practically begging my doctor for thyroid test but she is pants, she diagnosed me with ibs 2 years ago and i went with uti and stomach cramps but i suggested they may be my ibs and she says.... Who said you have that?!
    Sorry for the rant just wanted to basically know if anyone can shed any light on this, is/has anyone been like this in regards to feelings??

i was diagnosed with clinical depression and anxiety a few years ago.. i feel for you. for two months straight i couldn't get myself to do anything, i cried for no reason, i couldn't sleep or concentrate on any of my school work at the time. then i decided i wasn't going to let it rule my life and took charge.. i started working out every day on the treadmill (nothing crazy) and i ended up losing 30lbs. you can overcome this.. it just takes a lot of focus and mental pep talks :) plus we are all here to support you!
  • iamlaprell
    iamlaprell Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I personally suffer from OCD and alot of what you are describing is similar to the way I felt. I hadn't had any problems with my OCD in a long time (at least none I couldn't deal with) but once I started taking off weight and dieting and experiencing increased energy my OCD went into overdrive. For me my OCD presents with the following symptoms: depression because I am unable to stop my thoughts, it is sort of the opposite of ADHD in that instead of being unable to focus, I become obsessively focused on a single thought process (ie if I'm thinking about my weight I will literally be focused on it to the point I cannot have a conversation with anyone for hours at a time), I become very anxious and snap at anyone who attempts to talk to me, I cannot handle loud noises during the times I am focused on a thought.

Anyway, just offering a different perspective. I think you should definitely find a new doctor because if she is not listening to you then she is not working for you. The only doctors I have ever experienced successful treatments (physical ailments) were the ones who realized that their patients live in their bodies 24/7 and have a better idea of what's going on than they can in a few short minutes of talk.
  • dramallamaduck
    dramallamaduck Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with clinical depression back in January. I understand exactly what you are going through.

My first piece of advice is to find a new doctor. Not all docs are created equal. I went to one that wasn't my normal PCP and he treated me like total crap because I'm fat. Surprisingly this is also the doc that diagnosed my depression. He gave me medication, but refused to give me any refills because (direct quote here), "You just need to exercise and you'll feel better!" No *kitten* dude. When I'm so tired that I'm sleeping 12ish hours a night, there isn't a whole lot of motivation to do anything. Thankfully I got into see my primary a month later.

Second piece of advice is to have a frank talk with your new doc about the possibility of medication. I know all about the stigma attached. I understand. Been there, done that, got the cross eyed looks. Even if it's something that you can even be weaned off of eventually. It does help get you out of the funk and it helps with the achy bones. I know that I would wake up in the morning and hurt like hell. It was awful. Once you start to have more energy and you don't hurt all the time, then I would definitely recommend that you start some exercise. Between my regular exercise and my anti-depressant, I'm functioning much better. I'm on the road to recovery.

Get yourself some help. You will feel better. Feel free to message/add me if you have questions or need someone to chat with.
  • lambchoplewis
    Options
    It is not easy and you will go "off the wagon" every now and then. Don't be so hard on yourself but... get back to it the next day no matter how bad you feel!! The first few weeks, I had to get out of kitchen, take baths, go to bed at 6pm - anything to get my mind off food.

I weigh myself everyday, log food and exercise first thing in morning. The weighing stops me from stuffing things into my mouth as I know I will have to face the scale the next day. If I go off track, I can gain 3-4 lbs but... this is water and once back on track, the trend in weight loss is down. Look at the trend - not the absolute number.
  • southernmom3
    southernmom3 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I deal with depression too. I have good days and bad. I am learning to make the most of every day and try to think positive. There is good in every day we just have to look for it.

I would look for a new doctor and see if you can get a second opinion on what is going on with your body, it is trying to tell you something. I take an anti-depressant and they are helping me to get back to where I am wanting to do more. The first thing is to get up and try to do something every day. Walking is a good way to cheer yourself up. Getting some fresh air does wonders for me and so does sunshine. Add me and we can talk via PM about this. Some things people will not understand but I can relate to what you are going through.
  • Maggie1moo
    Maggie1moo Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Big thanks to everyone for posting and being so supportive and understanding.
    Thanks for all your advice and stuff and just taking the time to read and reply means so much.
    God bless you all!
  • DivaMaria225
    DivaMaria225 Posts: 70 Member
    Options

writing in a journal has helped me too...writing down your thoughts works amazingly! Great job for doing this!
  • estrange22
    estrange22 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Go to a new doctor! Find one that is sympathetic to your emotions!!! For me, I had to treat my depression with a light dose of Prozac before I was able to find my motivation to exercise and eat right. Some people are able to drag themselves out and get those endorphins to start off with, but if you are truly having a tough time doing that, see if your doctor will give you a medication that won't mess you up (don't try effexor) and in a couple of weeks (or sooner) you will feel like making better choices for yourself!
  • HSassyk2
    HSassyk2 Posts: 2
    Options
    I feel the same way. Not happy about nothing, when I know there is so much to be thankful for. It sucks. I just wanna eat what I want then go to sleep. Someone ought to be able to help us with this. I have been eating fruit and using the Nutri bullet with flax seed and spinach. I thought it would help but its not helping AND I'm GAINING WEIGHT! Just wanted to let you know you're not alone and if you hear of any special herb or medicine, please keep me posted. I'm 46 so I thought it could be pre-menopause, but my dr. doesnt help at all.
  • mbelle97
    mbelle97 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    You have to be your own advocate when it comes it medical issues. If you think there may be an underlying medical issue for the way you feel, you should get tested. Find a new doctor. Please.
    It might also be helpful to talk to someone. No shame in that, it might help you get back on the rightr\ track.
    So sorry your going through this. Hang in there!
  • cidalia73
    cidalia73 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    You need a new doctor. You need a blood panel done (vitamin D, vitamin B12, thyroid function, iron, blood sugar). I don't know where you live, but if you don't get a lot of sun, you could very well be vitamin D deficient, and that causes all kinds of symptoms - - even achy bones. Take a supplement.

With IBS, you have to be careful what you eat. I don't know which IBS variant you have, but if it includes diarrhea, look into the FODMAP diet. It seems a bit overwhelming at first, but if you can cut out the major offenders: wheat, dairy (lactose), legumes (beans, lentils, peas, chick peas), and certain fruits: no fruit juices (too much fructose), apples (no more than one per day), and concentrated tomato (sauces, pastes, etc)., you should notice a BIG difference in your symptoms. Also, if you use any non-dairy milk replacements, avoid any that contain carrageenan (it's in A LOT of food products) or inulin (a type of fiber that can contribute to diarrhea in people with IBS-D).
  • mattschwartz01
    mattschwartz01 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I'm an emotional eater and I'm seeking professional help. You might want to consider that as well. I have depression too so I can relate in a way.
  • mattschwartz01
    mattschwartz01 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with clinical depression back in January. I understand exactly what you are going through.

My first piece of advice is to find a new doctor. Not all docs are created equal. I went to one that wasn't my normal PCP and he treated me like total crap because I'm fat. Surprisingly this is also the doc that diagnosed my depression. He gave me medication, but refused to give me any refills because (direct quote here), "You just need to exercise and you'll feel better!" No *kitten* dude. When I'm so tired that I'm sleeping 12ish hours a night, there isn't a whole lot of motivation to do anything. Thankfully I got into see my primary a month later.

Second piece of advice is to have a frank talk with your new doc about the possibility of medication. I know all about the stigma attached. I understand. Been there, done that, got the cross eyed looks. Even if it's something that you can even be weaned off of eventually. It does help get you out of the funk and it helps with the achy bones. I know that I would wake up in the morning and hurt like hell. It was awful. Once you start to have more energy and you don't hurt all the time, then I would definitely recommend that you start some exercise. Between my regular exercise and my anti-depressant, I'm functioning much better. I'm on the road to recovery.

Get yourself some help. You will feel better. Feel free to message/add me if you have questions or need someone to chat with.

Sounds like that doc was a class-A ***hole. We go to our doctors to feel better, not worse - it is also a customer/provider relationship and I expect to be treated with, at a minimum, politeness. Did you report or review him or her?