Is losing weight similar to pregnancy?

Options
I haven't had the privilege to carry a baby to term, but it's the one thing I'm CONSTANTLY comparing to being on a weight loss journey. There is just SO MUCH waiting involved!!!!! I know that every pound, kilogram down means that I'm moving forward, but sometimes it just feels like time/I'm standing still. It's like those few pounds down are a VERY small promise (like the very first ultrasound scan - actually, like the pregnancy test result) of a grand prize that is so far away (fully-formed, healthy baby). I guess not working just means I have too much time on my hands . . . . What do other people do to take their mind of the time aspect of this journey?

Replies

• majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    My suggestion: stop waiting. This shouldn't be a bounded process with a defined end goal, it should be the way you live now: ideally, being more active--for life--as well as keeping track of what you're eating and making better choices than you used to. The weight will come off along the way.

So your new life has already started--you don't have to wait for it!
  • bluestarlight19
    bluestarlight19 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    its not really like pregnancy at all. In pregnancy, the baby just grows...you wait...(but then there are the symptoms...morning sickness, excess saliva, hips hurt, back hurts, heart burn). Losing weight is a very active process and you have to be there mentally to make it happen, being pregnant and growing a baby is more passive. For losing weight, there is no "waiting" around, you have to work and make it happen.
  • BigFatToad
    BigFatToad Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It is in no way like pregnancy. The longer you wait in pregnancy the worse the body symptoms get! The longer you wait while losing weight, the better it feels because if you are doing it right, you are losing weight even if it isn't overnight.

One thing that has helped me through the last three months as I have stalled at 155 and 151 lbs is to weigh myself and record it every single day in addition to logging food. I use www.physicsdiet.com. The downward moving average is very helpful for my self esteem when my weight spikes.
  • Embee_2311
    Options
    Powerful and very sensible advice! I'm going to keep your response to remind myself every time I mistakenly think "I'm waiting". You're so spot on that I shouldn't consider the journey a bounded goal. Thanks for that reminder, because I honestly am committed to living my whole life in a healthy way (though I sometimes forget that along the way . . ..!)

Thank you SO much - really appreciate the correction in how I'm seeing things:flowerforyou:
  • Embee_2311
    Options
    You are 100% correct - It's true that every hour, every day I am actually putting in effort - there's nothing passive at all! That said, I do think that maybe I am not putting enough physical activity as I should, so maybe I could use that as an opportunity to put in more work!
    I really appreciate your feedback.:flowerforyou:
  • Embee_2311
    Options
    LOL. :laugh: I'd forgotten people's stories about pregnancy getting more uncomfortable towards the end. Your point is well-taken, because I absolutely feel the benefits of the pounds I've dropped. I will visit the link you've suggested, because I think sometimes I need almost minute-by-minute feedback to avoid feeling bored.

You're a star! Thank you:flowerforyou:
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Having had more than one miscarriage before having my daughter, it is kind of similar in a way. When I was pregnant with her every week was a milestone and I was kind of on edge. Kind of like when I wait to see whether I've lost any weight. Although obviously the weight loss is a much smaller and less important issue than carrying a healthy baby to term in my case.
  • Embee_2311
    Options
    Gosh , hat sure must have been tough! Certainly way more difficult than even regaining weight. M SO happy that after all of that your daughter finally arrived! I will keep the perspective you're sharing in mind, when I'm in my "This is so hard" headspace.
    Thanks for your response:smile:
  • Sqeekyjojo
    Sqeekyjojo Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    It isn't remotely similar.

Pregnancy: puking, piles, loose joints, backache, tiredness, sobbing at TV stories about sick children, puking, more backache, fear of doing something to hurt the baby, potential death from complications, knowing you're going to get bigger and eventually, in no more than 35 weeks, there should be someone more important than you will ever be again coming into your life.

Losing weight: backache, tiredness, the ability to say 'I've changed my mind', always putting yourself first. Knowing its permanent; no end date in sight.
  • Embee_2311
    Options
    Hv signed up to www.physicsdiet.com - I think I'm going to enjoy using it in addition to MFP.
    B.t.w. I'm also 5"2 - would love to be at the weight you're at! Is your profile pic of you at 167lb?
  • HRLaurie614
    HRLaurie614 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I think the hard and fast reasons of why they are/aren't similar are less important than how you feel about them. I imagine they must both stir up the same type of anticipation in you for a end result that is somewhat down the road. i hope this is coming off in the way I intend (Ie to be supportive).

Sending you sticky vibes for a healthy pregnancy when the time is right.
  • Embee_2311
    Options
    LOL @ "the ability to say I've changed my mind"! The fact that weight loss is always about putting you first is also SO important . . . . .Need to always remember THAT, instead of obsessing over an end goal!