Going out for drinks

Options
I'm having dinner and drinks with a friend tonight and I was just wondering what are the best choices when it comes to having a few drinks?

Replies

• farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    No expert, but from other posts seems vodka and low cal cola are best.

Personally I would just drink what fancy and start again tomorrow
  • maria_b22
    maria_b22 Posts: 45
    Options
    Spirits have less calories than wine, so i have something like vodka and diet coke.
  • AprilMae1975
    Options
    I was thinking vodka and diet tonic.
  • bryionak
    bryionak Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    scotch neat. As long as you stay reasonable, seems it is the mixers that will get ya, margarita mix, sour mix, etc. Keep em simple and you should be good.
  • IowaJen1979
    IowaJen1979 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I have heard vodka is the best and I like to drink it with soda and a spritz of cranberry and a slice of lime.

Lately, I've skipped the cocktails and just had Diet Coke or water with lemon while socializing. Then I don't have to worry about the calories. Alcohol is a diet killer for me!
  • dtobias87
    dtobias87 Posts: 11
    Options
    i would recommend a clear liquor (think rum, vodka or gin) with either soda water or diet tonic, but i've worked at many bars/restaurants and none had diet tonic, so soda water may be your best bet.

a personal favorite is a decent vodka with soda water with lemon and lime- you get the flavor without extra calories or sugar :) also, ginger ale is a second mixer option (has the sugar, but diet cola has the additive crap)
  • tracymat
    tracymat Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I was thinking vodka and diet tonic.

Most places won't have diet tonic. Just regular - and regular is just as bad as regular soda. If you can find it - this is my favorite! With a few limes.... but most places I have to hope they have diet sprite or 7up.
  • patrickblo13
    patrickblo13 Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    Jamo on the rocks!!! Can't go wrong
  • legnarevocrednu
    legnarevocrednu Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Vodka! Sometimes I luck out and find a place that offers sugar free redbull too...I've heard some people bring crystal light packets with them, and mix that in with their drinks as well.
  • Tw1zzler
    Tw1zzler Posts: 583
    Options
    Vodka with sparkling water and lime, light beer, red wine. Alternate w/ glasses of water. Have a plan and stick to it because once you start drinking you'll want to indulge.
  • kitigonkukoo
    kitigonkukoo Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    This is actually really tasty, assuming you like lemon or lime.

Get vodka with a splash of water, and have them save room in the top.

Ask for a LOT of lemons or limes, whichever you prefer (or both if you love the combination) and squeeze a bunch of them in and drop them in too.

I use only lemons, and the citrus will kill the "vodka" taste, and make a nice refreshing drink. :)
  • dewsmom78
    dewsmom78 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Vodka gimlets (lime juice). Some bars have the Skinny Girl brand vodka - less calories.
  • nykdem
    nykdem Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I like nothing better than an ice cold pint of lager but I've knocked that on the head and now plump for vodka and diet coke or white wine with diet lemonade.
  • Uhhhlexxxis
    Uhhhlexxxis Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Red wine. You're drinking alcohol anyway, why add soda with unnecessary sugar to the mix? Plus it's good for your heart :)
  • BigDog
    BigDog Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Craft Beer!

Just plan for the calories and enjoy what you like. By looking for the lowest calories and not imbibing that which you enjoy, you are defeating the whole point of having dinner and drinks with friends. Drink what you like, just don't drink a lot of it.

Cheers!
  • GinZing
    GinZing Posts: 5
    Options
    NorCal Margarita seems to be a good choice. I'm planning on trying it this weekend at a birthday party. It's supposed to give you a better effect without as much to drink...we'll see. :)http://norcalmargarita.com/ it's around 210 calories with the tequilla (2shots). Vodka is about the same.
  • Just_Alyssa
    Just_Alyssa Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    There is another thread just like this that I commented on called "Blame it on the alcohol". Vodka was a big recommendation. You should look at that thread too for suggestions.
  • highmaintnance
    highmaintnance Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I drink bourbon and water. I used to drink it with sprite but wanted to eliminate those calories. Have fun!
  • AprilMae1975
    Options
    You guys are all awesome and great ideas!!! I am only going to have 2 drinks so I am thinking vodka something or red wine :)
  • lovemitch125
    lovemitch125 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I always go for the vodka. I've been getting a flavored vodka with club soda and a slice of lime or orange with it (usually cuz i get orange vodka a club) It's delicious!