Confused! Could I really have this much fat?!

I'm so confused right now. I looked up how much body fat I should carry and if my calculations are correct then holy crap! :noway:

This is the guide I used.

Use the percentage to determine how much your body fat weighs. For example, if you weigh 150 lb. and your body fat percentage is 25 percent, you have 37.5 lb. of fat (150 x 0.25 = 37.5) and 112.5 lb. of lean body mass (150 - 37.5 = 112.5).

For me, I weight 110.2 lbs and my scale tells me I am 29.2% fat. So I'm multiplying 110.2X.292=32.17lbs of FAT?! (So this would make my lean body mass only about 78lbs?!) I'm about 5'2" and have a pretty small frame too, so this seems like a lot of fat? I know that I'm on the high end of acceptable for "acceptable fat", but I'm just so confused.

Is this right? Does anyone know if this is the right formula I should be using or does my fat really weigh this much?

Please help! :sad:

Replies

• uwhuskygirl
    uwhuskygirl Posts: 320
    I'm so confused right now. I looked up how much body fat I should carry and if my calculations are correct then holy crap! :noway:

This is the guide I used.

Use the percentage to determine how much your body fat weighs. For example, if you weigh 150 lb. and your body fat percentage is 25 percent, you have 37.5 lb. of fat (150 x 0.25 = 37.5) and 112.5 lb. of lean body mass (150 - 37.5 = 112.5).

For me, I weight 110.2 lbs and my scale tells me I am 29.2% fat. So I'm multiplying 110.2X.292=32.17lbs of FAT?! (So this would make my lean body mass only about 78lbs?!) I'm about 5'2" and have a pretty small frame too, so this seems like a lot of fat? I know that I'm on the high end of acceptable for "acceptable fat", but I'm just so confused.

Is this right? Does anyone know if this is the right formula I should be using or does my fat really weigh this much?

Please help! :sad:
  • shkaki
    shkaki Posts: 234 Member
    your calculations are correct!
  • uwhuskygirl
    uwhuskygirl Posts: 320

Thank you so much! (This makes me feel better!)

But I'm going to ask to get measured at the gym tomorrow too to see which is more accurate.
  • Are you using one of the electronic scales? They aren't always correct. I'm in the Army and we use a height/weight chart with neck and waist measurements for males, and there is a new formula with hips/bust for women. You might want to look into that. From what you're saying, I'd say that you realistically can't be any more than like 15 to 20% body fat. I know that for me the calculations come out to be a little higher with the Army method than if I use my electronic scale. Another thing to think about is that these use a small current of electricity - it goes through your body and figures your fat percentage based on how easy it is for the electricity to make it through. The more fat = more water = easier for it to go through your body. I use mine when I'm totally dry, and then wipe just a little bit of water on my feet to aid in getting a good connection.