Plateau

Options
reneelee
reneelee Posts: 877 Member
Plateau ! Got to hate them, so much hard work and the scale stands still for months. When the scale moved it was in the wrong direction, lots of water weight going form 161 to 166 and back down again to 161 in a five day period. I weight myself morning and night if I'm 2 pounds heaver at night I know I'm retaining water. Could have let it get me down but I had a theory about the dreaded Plateau and the theory kept me going.
My theory goes like this, when gaining weight I didn't gain every week, at times I would get on the scale and my weight would be the same for a couple months. Then all of a sudden I would weigh and be up 5- 10 pounds.
So gaining works like that how about losing? A week ago I weighed 161 today I weigh 157, and I'm on day 5 of TOM, so I may even lose more pounds.
What em I doing different? I have added a 4th day at Curves and one day doing a walking DVD with Leslie Sansone called, " Walk Away Your Waistline ! " . Comes with a belt that Velcros around your waist and has two yellow bands with handles connected to the belt . I do a lot of jogging during the DVD and two sets of thirty jumping jacks, just to try to get really fatigued. I'm also paying close attention to my calorie intake. I find it easier to do this by getting on MFP in the morning and deciding what I'm going to eat for the day. This keeps me right on or just below my calories for the day. I hope This helps you to get through the dreaded plateau. Good Luck, Renee

Replies

• mkgillette
    Options
    I disagree on weighing yourself so often. You have no control over how much your food weighs during the day. Also your water weight can fluctuate as much as 5lbs per day. It is best to weigh once per week and measure your waist once per week. If the tape is going down, you are losing fat. How to bust a plateau is also easy. Don't eat the same foods and quantities every day. Shoot for a calorie and carb average. Go a little higher on carbs maybe 3 days per week and lower for 4 days per week. But the trick is to not get into a pattern. Always keep your body guessing.You will average the carb number over the course of the week.IE... 120 x 4, 140 x3=128 per day.This will keep your metabolism stimulated and the pounds will continue to come off. Good luck.
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I only weigh myself once per week but if I were to jump on the scales in the morning, first thing, I can absolutely guarantee that I would weigh 2lb heavier by the end of the day before I go to bed - I used to weigh myself several times per day you see, it was however, a recipte for disappointment and disaster doing that, hence why I ceased. It has always been like that for me and I guess it always will be regarding the 2lb gain. It is probably to do with fluid gained during the day, swelling, what I have drank and eaten etc etc.

I do not know of anybody that weighs exactly the same weight at all times of the day and night, it fluctuates in everybody all the time.
  • reneelee
    reneelee Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself in the morning because I'm following the Curves plan and my weight is put on a chart and we can see a patttern in the graft. Then the nutritianist at curves can go back and look at my food diary and see what could be causing the ups and downs on the graft. As for weighing at night I do this for peace of mind knowing I should only weigh two pounds heavier, if I weigh more than that and have been doing everything right then I know its water weight.