Taking Prednisone

Options
Oh i need help. I have recently been diagnosed with asthma. I was placed on Prednisone and am having the hardest time. For the last 4 days that I've been on prednisone i have gained four pounds. I keep trying to watch what I'm eating but I'm still gaining. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to maintain my weight or to keep losing while on Prednisone. I don't want all my hard work I've done to be reversed.

Replies

• ChristinaR720
    Options
    Ugh, I hate Prednisone. It was a major factor in my gaining a ton of weight in the first place. It's difficult to offer you suggestions without being able to see your food diary. Prednisone makes you really hungry all the time, and it could be that you may actually be eating more than you think you are. I would suggest splitting up your meals so you are eating every 2 hours or so. It should help with the seemingly constant hunger. Also, make sure you stock up on healthy and lower fat foods. Try to get rid of your trigger foods, as it's a lot harder to control your cravings while on the med.
  • CkepiJinx
    CkepiJinx Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    When I had to take prednisone , I had to take it by IV for five days I forget the dosage but it was a lot that's why I had to tak it by IV, any ways I found if I ate a good meal just before taking it it really helped keep my appetite in check, a protein heavy meal with some fats as a posed to grains and veggies worked the best for me. Eating small meals throughout the day is also a good suggestion to avoid binging. Good luck
  • kt617
    kt617 Posts: 4
    Options
    Im not as hungry as i thought i would be. i do crave sweets but try to resist them. What I'm finding is i don't release anything. I have a huge amount of water retention and i can't go to the bathroom without a laxative (sorry i know that sounds nasty.) I don't want to take laxatives the whole time but i took one after being on the Prednisone for 4 days and dropped all the extra weight i gained just in those four days. Today I'm trying a dieter's tea to see if that will make me regular. My regular "natural movers" (grapefruit and oatmeal) are not working. I'm trying to eat extra veggies, low sodium, high protein meals and drink extra water.
  • RVfrog
    RVfrog Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I am on my 3 dose in a row..............and I have not gained. Make sure you are not overeating....and using the meds as an excuse. Just saying. Some people will gain on them...........but you can counter act that by watching what you eat. I also have asthma so watching what you eat is important. Milk product will increase crap in your lungs.......so be careful there. Also losing weight really helps with the asthma. I have not had a problem for probably 10 yrs. and am fighting a flare up now. When I'm around someone who is sick..............I don't get their cold or whatever.............but I will get a really bad flare up ...cause the virus goes straight to my lungs. Within a couple of days I can be in a bad flareup. Asthma is very manageable but you have to do some things to help yourself. Good luck. I'm heading out to the dr this morning as a follow up, since I'm still in a flareup. I also have a breathing machine I use when I 'm like this. IT is a GOD sent.....it gets the medicine down in the lungs where you need it the most. Hope you feel better soon. Guess I've been lucky cause it does not make me hungry.....or I'm just really aware of what I'm eating when I'm on it.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Prednisone is a double edged sword. :( My advice is to take the lowest dose your doctor will approve and get off of it as soon as your health will allow. Discuss this with your doctor of course. And just try to remember that the predisone is important to your health.

Usually medicines don't make you gain weight (although I've read that some have major fluid retention on steroids) they increase your appetite. Make good food choices that will keep you full, and continue to log everything.

As far as fluid retention there are some medications that can help if it gets really bad. Also just try to limit sodium and drink water. Discuss the side effects with your doctor-- they might be able to lower your dose or give you tips on how to ease some of the issues you're having.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    Oh i need help. I have recently been diagnosed with asthma. I was placed on Prednisone and am having the hardest time. For the last 4 days that I've been on prednisone i have gained four pounds. I keep trying to watch what I'm eating but I'm still gaining. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to maintain my weight or to keep losing while on Prednisone. I don't want all my hard work I've done to be reversed.

How long are you on it for? I am also an asthma patient, and I just got off a 7 day round of prednisone for a flare.

In my case, I take advair and singulair daily. I pre-medicate before every workout with albuterol, and that is also my "rescue" inhaler. I also have a nebulizer at home that does an albuterol mist if the inhaler doesn't help. My weight loss has been slow this fall, but it has still been there.
  • MinimizingMichelle
    MinimizingMichelle Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I am on my 3 dose in a row..............and I have not gained. Make sure you are not overeating....and using the meds as an excuse. Just saying. Some people will gain on them...........but you can counter act that by watching what you eat. I also have asthma so watching what you eat is important. Milk product will increase crap in your lungs.......so be careful there. Also losing weight really helps with the asthma. I have not had a problem for probably 10 yrs. and am fighting a flare up now. When I'm around someone who is sick..............I don't get their cold or whatever.............but I will get a really bad flare up ...cause the virus goes straight to my lungs. Within a couple of days I can be in a bad flareup. Asthma is very manageable but you have to do some things to help yourself. Good luck. I'm heading out to the dr this morning as a follow up, since I'm still in a flareup. I also have a breathing machine I use when I 'm like this. IT is a GOD sent.....it gets the medicine down in the lungs where you need it the most. Hope you feel better soon. Guess I've been lucky cause it does not make me hungry.....or I'm just really aware of what I'm eating when I'm on it.

You have been lucky that you don't feel hungry while on it because the hunger is almost unmanagable for me. And no, that's not an excuse. I've been on and off of it for 12 years. I definitely know the difference. Sometimes, regardless of how much you "watch what you eat", women still gain. Their bodies don't respond well to the testosterone, so it's not just psychological but physiological.

I hate that people jump to stating "be careful that you're not using it as an excuse" because unless you've experienced it, you shouldn't be one to comment. Just saying.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options

Try a low glycaemic index anti inflammatory diet to manage your asthma, you might ask for a referral to a registered dietician. Obviously if you smoke, stop.
  • splixi
    splixi Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Sooooo you are at war with preddy.....me too.

The good news for you: pred in asthma is generally* made up of just short courses and can be controlled with inhaled medicines.

I have been on huge amounts of prednisone with not many breaks off it (also for my lungs- asthma plays a part but I have other issues too).

Dosage plays a big role in side effects....but more than anything it is about how long you are on them.

I used to be very slim before I started having to take it a lot more- it put over 60pounds on me over the last 2 years. It will also make you very puffy and change where you store your weight.

It sounds like you 4pounds could be very much due to the fluid retention you are experiencing from it. (i'm no doctor- just a professional pred patient) and it really does make you so hungry...I can't really tell you any tips because I don't have any. Just try and keep all the "bad" foods out of your house because you will be incredibly tempted to just binge.

I hope you are off the dreaded things really soon (and that they at least make you feel a bit better!)
  • aperssone
    Options
    I've been on prednisone for a year and a half - this round. I am now down to 20 mgs/day but was doing the 1,000 mg (1 g) by IV last year. Prednisone not only makes you feel hungrier, it also encourages fat deposits. That is why people get things like moon face (rounded face) and buffalo hump (fat deposit between shoulder blades). Often the fat deposits in areas that are not that individual's usual trouble spots. I have gained roughly 20 pounds but this number would have been MUCH higher if not for my dedication to working out. I am not sure if its even possible to lose weight while I am on this prednisone but I have amped up my workout in the past 2 months and came to this site to keep a detailed food log. *Fingers crossed*
  • splixi
    splixi Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I started to think the same "is it even possible to be on pred and lose weight".....no matter how hard i tried at the big doses I couldn't get it to work.

As the dose goes down it is your chance to take over...

The only way that has worked for me is through very strict calorie monitoring....and honestl with the few calories I eat I can't beleive the power of pred!

good news? i'm finally beating the pred perils! and i've lost about 7kg in the last 4-5weeks :) long way to go if I am to get my full revenge on this drug!
  • dietstokes
    dietstokes Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    When I would have really bad flare ups with my lungs, I would be placed on this. I am no longer allowed to go on it though, as the last time I was on it I started to hallucinate (which is actually a very common effect). Also, while I did not eat any more, I retained so much water that I gained 10 pounds. My entire body hurt because of all the water. I couldn't bend my fingers, moving my arms hurt, etc. So glad I can't take that stuff anymore. I now take singulair and zyrtec and that pretty much keeps my asthma like symptoms in check (I say asthma like as I am borderline....its really my allergies causing my reactions). I also have an inhaler that I use before some types of exercise (i.e. running). But I have not been on the pred in 2 years now. Thank goodness. 3 cycles of the stuff was more than enough.
  • chefmomster2
    chefmomster2 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    IMHO, from my experience...

Prednisone causes me to retain a lot of water. I notice my face looking puffy. The good news is that the water drops off VERY quickly once I stop the meds. The actual fat will just take time.

I drink plenty of fluids. (It always makes me thirsty.) For some reason it seems to cause the body to demand fluids. Keeping hydrated lets it "relax" a bit as you offer it a steady supply. Or so it seems to me.

Even worse for my diet is the terrible things it does to my emotions. Angry/weepy/moody/impatient. All of those feelings are things that trigger my emotional eating. This is hardest of all. I try to stay away from food- literally. Lots of walks, etc.
  • aperssone
    Options
    I'm lucky that this time around I'm not having any of the runaway emotions. I had that before but maybe since its been a year and a half straight on prednisone I have 'adjusted' somehow? I don't think 20 mgs is considered a terribly high dose either, but still enough to wreck havoc!

I'm going back to see a rheumatologist at the Mayo (so glad to live in MN) next month, so I am HOPING there will be an end in sight for the prednisone. All other meds have failed and right now this is the only thing keeping my symptoms at bay. I think I've done a good job keeping the weight gain in check but would love to wear my wardrobe again - I've invested a lot of money in it :sad:

I'm going to work on increasing water intake and decreasing sodium. It's so nice that there are people here who have gone, or are going, through the same thing!
  • CNSGirl
    CNSGirl Posts: 1
    Options
    I too have just started on Prednisone (4/9/13)....the love-hate relationship drug...60mg. Did it 10 years ago, but it is different this time around. Emotions are not running wild and neither is the hunger?? I too go to Mayo's in MN to see rheumatologist. I go back mid-May. The weight gain and water retention is hard to deal with, but it is the only choice right now to "calm" everything back down. Trying to watch diet and eat "pure" foods, not all of the processed ones. And get exercise. I am glad it is warmer weather vs. middle of winter. I am hoping as well that the dosage of prednisone can be reduced relatively quickly, but that is up to the doctors of course. It is good to know that there are others going through the same battles with this drug. Thank you!