When someone comments on your weight

Options
I have lost 22 lbs so far and I feel awesome about it, but when someone comments on my weight, not knowing I am working on it........like say a new Dr who I have never been to who got really mean about it...when she really didn't have the room to talk herself.......Then I tell her about my progress and she just acts like I was lying....Anyway so how do you stay positive when those people are so negative towards you?

Replies

• MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Remember; They can't walk all over you unless you lie down. Just remind yourself of the weight you're losing and how much better you look and feel. Nobody else has any right to judge you.
  • Carolyn_79
    Carolyn_79 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I get rid of people who are negative about it. No room in my life for that. If your Dr. was rude to you even after telling her your progress then I'd be finding a new Dr.

Great job on your loss so far!
  • mstyer2790
    mstyer2790 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I know it's frustrating but just keep your head up! You know who you are and where you are at in your life so you can't let anyone tell you otherwise.
    I get all sorts of mixed reactions from people. In high school, I was 270, I got down to about 165 about 2 yrs ago, but I neglected myself and so now I'm currently 212. So any given day, I could have someone tell me how amazing I look and then an hour later have someone ask if I'm pregnant. :laugh:
  • cuterbee
    cuterbee Posts: 545
    Options
    Can you switch physicians? They are not all like that. People who make rude comments (whether about weight or something else) are broken people at worst, or terribly unaware at best. Don't let their issues harm you, and cut 'em out of your life where you can.
  • adenium11
    adenium11 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Ive stopped hanging out with people who are sabatoging. I have a dear friend or I had once thought of them as that, who got really testy bc I prefered to go to the gym then go help her "parent" her twins one evening when her hubby was out. Well Dearie.. I have twins and raise them easily without you.. however I dont have the rest of my life to hit the gym and get healthy, I must do that now! So I focus on me and my family, and our health. I have also found other people have lost relationships over the time.

As for your Dr. find a new one.. thats harsh!
  • Sqeekyjojo
    Sqeekyjojo Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Bear in mind that the doctor has probably seen a hundred patients who say they are really trying, etc, when they are doing no such thing. Most 3 drinks a week people actually drink 8-10, most 4 cigarettes a day people smoke 15 on a good day, 20 at the weekend (if they aren't claiming to have given up completely). Most 'I eat hardly anything and just water retain/must have a slow metabolism/eat perfectly but blow up when looking at a picture of a cake' are actually not counting the 4000 other calories on top of the 1500 daily intake they're prepared to admit to.

So, 99 people lying to the doctor and themselves, then you walk in their office.

It's irritating, I was annoyed with the GP who told me to stop eating meat and cheese, and was convinced I was lying until I showed her my mfp diary, complete with progress graph, but it's understandable at the same time when I hear my mother insisting that the doctor made her diabetic because telling her to reduce the amount of high fat processed foods 'forced' her to eat biscuits and cake for a year. Completely ignoring that she's had fatty liver for at least ten years. She'll still say she eats 'nothing' and the only way to lose weight would be to start smoking again.

Sorry, that nearly turned into a rant. Point is, people lie. Most people won't accept what they do is directly responsible for their health issues, so the rare person who does accept it will cop some flak as well.

Sigh and ignore it. Get on with getting healthier. Eventually the doctor and others will notice.
  • linsey0689
    linsey0689 Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    My doctor told me I needed to lose weight when I already started MFP and had only 10 pounds so I just turned it back on him I have lost 10 pounds so more but I am trying to lose more do you have any tips? And if gave me some papers that were pretty cool like once was a 1500 calories 2 week food plan and then also a 1200 one.

Then when friend ask me if I am losing weight I love it
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    I have lost 22 lbs so far and I feel awesome about it, but when someone comments on my weight, not knowing I am working on it........like say a new Dr who I have never been to who got really mean about it...when she really didn't have the room to talk herself.......Then I tell her about my progress and she just acts like I was lying....Anyway so how do you stay positive when those people are so negative towards you?

What?
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    That would be the first, and last time I ever see that doctor.

Wouldnt even pay my co-pay.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Agree with them and move on. I don't enjoy talking about myself with other people and want them to stfu about me asap.
  • Icedrgn
    Icedrgn Posts: 17
    Options
    Dump the physician like the weight your losing. Nice work so far! Be positive and surround yourself with positive people. Avoid Debbie-downers
  • JuliaJitterbug
    JuliaJitterbug Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyboy! Loving the kind words and positive motivation! ^_^