What to eat at a Mexican restaurant?

Options
I am going to be eating at a Mexican restaurant tonight and I am trying to stay as healthy and low calorie as possible but also enjoy my meal! What do you all recommend?

Replies

• lizsmith1976
    lizsmith1976 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Chicken fajitas with corn tortillas, no sour cream or cheese, no chips, no margarita.

But you are stronger than me, cuz I would eat ALL the chips and have 2 margaritas. I'm a Texan and Mexican food is the reason I will never have a 6-pack :)
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    search this topic and you'll find a million threads
  • jlemoore
    jlemoore Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I like to eat Mexican when I'm there.
  • rodafer
    rodafer Posts: 63
    Options
    I stay away from the chips and salsa that are usually free and never ending. And opt for fajitas without the tortillas and just eat the mix. Or carne asada with grilled veggies.... Have fun and YUM!
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Everything.

With sour cream.

Washed down with tequila.
  • vkc1978
    vkc1978 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Chicken fajitas with corn tortillas, no sour cream or cheese, no chips, no margarita.

But you are stronger than me, cuz I would eat ALL the chips and have 2 margaritas. I'm a Texan and Mexican food is the reason I will never have a 6-pack :)

Yep, this. Im in Dallas, just minutes away from the best Mexican food in America. I will be having the Margaritas this evening :) but having fish and green beans for lunch to afford it....
  • momofthreesons
    momofthreesons Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I'm so boring ummm grilled chicken salad no dressing LOL
  • justoneanna
    Options
    It kind of depends on the restaurant and what they offer. If you can get a grilled chicken breast with some kind of vegetable or fruit salsa (mango is delicious), plus black beans and grilled veggies, you'll do pretty well. Fajitas without the tortillas are pretty good too, if you can get them not drenched in butter or with extra veggies. My local place has tostadas/chalupas that you can order with black beans and grilled fish that are pretty healthy too.

The chips and salsa are always my downfall at a Mexican restaurant, but since it's a treat I usually eat just a few and then have them not refill the bowl.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Lighter lunch and/or breakfast so you can enjoy whatever your favorite Mexican food is tonight.

(For me that would be steak fajitas.)
  • JKellyMA
    JKellyMA Posts: 16
    Options
    tortilla soup (broth based & not creamy)
    Taco salad - careful with dairy & dressing
    Fajitas - don't go overboard with the flour tortillas
  • sbbhbm
    sbbhbm Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Everything.

With sour cream.

You're taking me out to dinner tonight. I can be ready at 7:00.
  • NutellaAddict
    NutellaAddict Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    Mexican Food
  • airen123
    airen123 Posts: 149
    Options
    chicken fajitas with no tortillas, throw salsa over the meat and veggs, dig in with fork. looking around 400-500 cals depending what they cook it in.
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    I'm going to a Mexican restaurant today too! I'm having a chicken enchilada with red sauce and ALL THE CHIPS AND SALSA!! I simply made it fit into my calories today. Problem solved!
  • d_Mode
    d_Mode Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    Shrimp fajitas...one tortilla...I usually skip the rice and have about half of the refried beans.
  • PamelaGatorMom
    PamelaGatorMom Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I :heart: :heart: :heart: mexican food & it's a regular for me.

I bring in my own baked lays tostitos...they are actually really good, I count out 2 servings. Then I normally will order a small queso and a chicken al carbon (al carte) I take the grilled chicken breast out of the tortilla and just eat the meat.

I make cheese/chicken/salsa nachos :bigsmile:

Or go with fajitas and just eat one tortilla (I avoid the sour cream & guacamole but it's easy cause I don't like that)

The BEST thing to do it look up the restaurant on-line (or one similar if it's a individual location) compare the items you like & see what can fit in your calories. I never deprive myself of something I really want I have just worked on making it fit OR working out to burn the calories!
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options

No, tequila first and then you can forget about the calories because, because tequila!

tumblr_lub6nsoA5b1qbujr8o1_500.jpg
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I always have enchiladas and margaritas. Always.
  • tfansoi
    tfansoi Posts: 2
    Options
    for those working out heavily needing protein and potassium, and who happen to have high blood sugar...

1/2 cup refried beans (legumes) very high in potassium. also low glycemic. (keep within daily fat and calorie count)
    avacado
    rice high glycemic. keep to a minimum
    flour tortillas better choice over corn for glycemic index.
    chicken fajitas and beef fajitas good protein. low glycemic. chicken obviously lower fat.
  • graceylou222
    graceylou222 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    DO NOT eat the beans. you think you're making a good decision but you're not. lol I used to eat them like crazy, found out they cook them with pig lard every morning, but duh, no wonder they are so good! :) I go for chicken fajitas, no cheese... and 1 magarita isn't gonig to kill you.... just everything in portions