For anybody who cares about how the media and doctors are tr

Options
For anybody who cares about how the media and doctors are trying to control you... READ THIS ARTICLE!!! It is outrageous!!! They are trying to say that people who eat healthy are mentally ill !!!

http://www.naturalnews.com/029098_orthorexia_mental_disorder.html

Replies

• LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    No. I'm sorry but this is being blown way out of proportion. A psychologist would only find fault with fixation on healthy eating if it was disrupting a patient's life. If you were so fixated on healthy eating it was impeding your normal activities, YES, that would be a disorder, eh?
  • fitandhealthy
    fitandhealthy Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Very good article! Thanks for sharing Bonnie! I would rather be called crazy than be fat and unhealthy!
  • bonniejoy
    bonniejoy Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thank You. Me too : )
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    That is a very extreme way of looking at the original study, article whatever. I read the original article. This guy is really going to the extreme with his paranoia. In my humble opinion!

The original article did talk about that particular "mental illness" but it was much more than just watching what you eat and being careful. Much more then trying to avoid additives and chemicals. It wasn't saying people who try to eat healthy have a mental illness. It was saying that people that control their eating and what they eat to the point that they starve them selves and reach anorexic levels of thinness have issues that need professional treatment. I don't have time right now, but if I do and I can find the original article, I'll post the link. This illness, like anorexia, isn't about the food. It's about control.
  • elmct57
    elmct57 Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    once again that intrepid bastion of British journalism charges boldly into the fray:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2009/aug/16/orthorexia-mental-health-eating-disorder

i would find it amusing except that this has been percolating since 1997 and the food industry has a vested interest in promoting it...not to mention the medical establishment who gains by treating associated health disorders.

must have been a really slow news day...
  • LittleSpy
    Options
    That is a very extreme way of looking at the original study, article whatever. I read the original article. This guy is really going to the extreme with his paranoia. In my humble opinion!

Thank goodness I'm not the only rational person here. :laugh:
  • Yurippe
    Yurippe Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I was so annoyed I couldn't even finish reading this article. There are people that fixate so much on healthy eating that they die of manutrition. That is what orthorexia nervosa is. This article was writen by someone just trying to stir the pot instead of taking 30 seconds to google the disorder and figure out it really meant.

Doctors are not trying to label people that eat healthy as mentally ill. They are labeling people who take "healthy" eating to such an extreme that they are actually hurting their bodies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orthorexia_nervosa
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    This seems to be the difference between myself who washes her hands often, to my friend who HAS to go back 3x to wash again and again.

Anyone with OCD could get caught up in over complicating the ingestion of their food.

I do not doubt there are people out there who are starving to death because they are obsessed with eating clean foods.

Interesting the doctors have a name for it...........
  • bonniejoy
    Options
    Attempting to avoid chemicals, dairy, soy and sugar now makes you a mental health patient? Yep. According to these experts. If you actually take special care to avoid pesticides, herbicides and genetically modified ingredients like soy and sugar, there's something wrong with you.
  • Crysta1976
    Crysta1976 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I have read several articles regarding Orthorexia Nervosa. This guy is so out of whack! As stated above, when it becomes an obsession, a true obsession, to the point that it controls you beyond just what you eat then there is a problem! Healthy eating has gone from a fad to mainstream to obsession in a very short amount of time. I don't know of any doctor, nutritionist, dietician, psychiatrist...whatever!...that would not support healthy eating. But that's just it...HEALTHY! If you are so concerned to the point that you are barely sustaining life...you have a problem. If you more willing to have this issue and be called crazy, than to eat and be a standard of health... you have a problem.

There is such thing as "too much of a good thing"... and anybody can cross that line.

You can look up nearly any psychiatric disorder, and somewhere on the list of treatments will be a change in diet. That diet would include gluten-free, dairy free, organic, non-enhanced/engineered... blah blah blah. People like the writer of this article need to realize that they can, and do, cause damage... Then again, people should research stuff for themselves rather than take one persons opinion and run with it. But...that's just MY opinion. lol
  • Yurippe
    Yurippe Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Attempting to avoid chemicals, dairy, soy and sugar now makes you a mental health patient? Yep. According to these experts. If you actually take special care to avoid pesticides, herbicides and genetically modified ingredients like soy and sugar, there's something wrong with you.

:noway:

No... If you get OCD about everything that goes in your mouth to the point that you starve to death there is something wrong with you.
  • dancer333
    dancer333 Posts: 2
    Options
    I'm sure this is an extreme way of looking at it and I did not read the original article - yet. But.......this could also be taken to extreme by doctors. When I read this post I looked at it as a warning.......just be careful. Anything taken too far can be a problem...but eliminating fake sugars and only eating organic...and being constantly suspicious of the media and it's portrayals of 'what is ok' based on big pharm...is ok and healthy. You should never just take what someone says as right (even a doc) without questioning and researching. A md is just a person who went to school for a long time...they are not god. They do make mistakes....just keep that in mind

Dr. Terry Larson, DPT
  • bonniejoy
    Options
    Thank You : )
  • Crysta1976
    Crysta1976 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Has anybody else notice that we are all pretty much making the same argument...but coming at from opposite extremes?? LOL
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    This seems to be the difference between myself who washes her hands often, to my friend who HAS to go back 3x to wash again and again.

Anyone with OCD could get caught up in over complicating the ingestion of their food.

I do not doubt there are people out there who are starving to death because they are obsessed with eating clean foods.

I agree.

This same article has a thread on Marks Daily Apple forums and I tend to agree with the posters that stated this "mental illness" should not be in its own category, but applied to being part of the OCD family............

If you are that paranoid about what you put in your body, you have OCD.
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    From the Guardian article: Their dietary restrictions commonly cause sufferers to feel proud of their "virtuous" behaviour even if it means that eating becomes so stressful their personal relationships can come under pressure and they become socially isolated.

An eating disorder is only a disorder (or mental health disorder a mental health disorder) IF it causes stress or social issues for you (or for others around you... and beyond just the "oh, no, so and so wants me throw a Boca burger on the grill and that upsets me").

The point of the articles, as others have said, is that it is possible for this quest for "healthy foods" to take over someone's life and cause distress for them or be an over-fixation for them. In that way, it is like anorexics or bulimics -- it is not about the food per se as about the control.

Edited to add: Was just now able to connect to the original article. Um, this writer is blowing things WAY out of proportion and totally missing the point.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options

I agree.

This same article has a thread on Marks Daily Apple forums and I tend to agree with the posters that stated this "mental illness" should not be in its own category, but applied to being part of the OCD family............

True. I was in a work related, group situation a few years back and the young lady that was with me was freaking out because there was no healthy food to eat. I pointed out there was salad and grilled chicken.......she exclaimed "You have NO idea whether is was washed right or if it has additives"

She did not eat ANYthing for lunch.

I did not give it much thought because at the time I was loading my plate with mac/cheese, potato salad/macaroni salad, BBQ ribs and a cheeseburger (old Jeannie:wink: )

But I can now see how she would fit into this category. I remember she also would ONLY sit in the seat behind the driver in the van.
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options

I agree.

True. I was in a work related, group situation a few years back and the young lady that was with me was freaking out because there was no healthy food to eat. I pointed out there was salad and grilled chicken.......she exclaimed "You have NO idea whether is was washed right or if it has additives"

She did not eat ANYthing for lunch.

I did not give it much thought because at the time I was loading my plate with mac/cheese, potato salad/macaroni salad, BBQ ribs and a cheeseburger (old Jeannie:wink: )

But I can now see how she would fit into this category. I remember she also would ONLY sit in the seat behind the driver in the van.

LOL, yes..........This fits her to a T. Those are the people they are talking about in that article..........

I am trying to not let myself get to that point. KWIM? I find myself not wanting to eat veggies, meats and fruits unless they are from local resources, such as my CSA offerings and my sisters inlaws is where I get raw milk, meat and eggs from now........

At what point do you cross the time and become obsessive with it?

We have started making our own cleaning supplies, soaps, shampoos and lotions................
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I'm sure this is an extreme way of looking at it and I did not read the original article - yet. But.......this could also be taken to extreme by doctors. When I read this post I looked at it as a warning.......just be careful. Anything taken too far can be a problem...but eliminating fake sugars and only eating organic...and being constantly suspicious of the media and it's portrayals of 'what is ok' based on big pharm...is ok and healthy. You should never just take what someone says as right (even a doc) without questioning and researching. A md is just a person who went to school for a long time...they are not god. They do make mistakes....just keep that in mind

Dr. Terry Larson, DPT

I don't think anybody is saying not to question doctors or diagnosis or whatever. But maybe when somebody comes off sounding very extreme we should question them too before jumping on the bandwagon. This type of eating disorder cannot even be clinically diagnosed as it is not in the DSM - but is it part of the lesser known eating disorders and can be deadly.
  • LittleSpy
    Options
    Holy fearmongering, batman!
    Please point me to any article an "expert" has written who is actually saying anything remotely close to your claims.