Calories for strength - why not?

Options
First, if there's a topic pinned somewhere on this, let me know... thanks. :)

So how come MFP doesn't track calories burned for strength items? Doesn't doing squats burn calories? I'd hoped to get some credit for those but no such luck. If I was doing squats and pilates and push ups and curls and all that for 60 minutes it seems like some calories would get burned.

Have a missed something? I tried searching for strength types and such under cardio but "not found".

Thanks for any advice.

Replies

• skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    The strength log is for keeping track of set and reps. You can log your time in cardio as strength training. Body weight exercises can be logged as calisthenics.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    There is a strength training option under cardio but strength training isn't a big calorie burner so don't expect big numbers. The benefit of strength training is building lean body mass which will in turn burn more calories at rest.
  • awf2215
    awf2215 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I wear a heart rate monitor during strength training and I always burn way more calories than MFP gives for "strength training" under cardio. Maybe try logging it as circuit training.
  • mpalmerwa
    Options
    Cool. Thanks all. I don't expect lots of calories but heck, every little bit helps! :o)
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I wear a heart rate monitor during strength training and I always burn way more calories than MFP gives for "strength training" under cardio. Maybe try logging it as circuit training.

HRMs are not accurate for strength training and you are likely getting an inflated burn from it.
    http://www.sparkpeople.com/community/ask_the_experts.asp?q=75
  • CMGoodie
    CMGoodie Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Even if HRMs aren't as accurate as they say...it's always good for the psyche to feel there is a burn of calories somewhere and something is being accomplished.....great motivator.

With that, if you mix up your strength training up with cardio, or do combos, you can burn a sufficient amount of calories that help.

I can average 230-260 burned calories during a strength training session on my own. On days with my trainer, I burn between 325-350. Keeping in mind I only spend 30 minutes with her a session, but the utilization of combo exercises with supersets included at times, really helps.