Confused? Weight gain?

Options
So i'm dieting and only eating 1300 calories a day regardless of what I eat. I'm confused because 2 days a go I weighed 189.2 lbs the next day I weighed 188.2 lbs and today I weigh 189.4 lbs Although only by a small bit. Why is it that I'm gaining weight? I've been told not to follow the scales numbers but to rate how much weight you've lost by how you look or feel.

It is only my 4th day, But i thought i'd be losing water weight (I drink a lot of water) yet im not? Can anyone explain?

Replies

• mryak750
    mryak750 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    weigh yourself once a week....stop weighing yourself everyday...calm down
  • Meaganandcheese
    Meaganandcheese Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Google "why the scale lies" and try not to weigh yourself more than once a week.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    There are any number of factors that affect scale weight. What time you have weighed, what you have eaten/drank, when you last went to the bathroom, how much sleep you got, what exercise you have done, what time of the month it is (if you are female), how much sodium you have consumed, etc, etc, etc.

4 days is not enough time to know if you are gaining or losing.

I like info, and I don't mind the minor fluctuations every day. But if it is discouraging you are best to put off weighing every week, two weeks or month. Weigh at the same time each day, ideally when you first wake up after you go to the bathroom, on the same scale.

Edited to add - you can gain or lose 5-10lbs in one day. Its not fat.
  • Shawnzgirl78
    Shawnzgirl78 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I agree to weigh once a week and weigh in the morning
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    How much do you burn in a day? TDEE?
    If you are eating too little then thats the body telling you something.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/937709-in-place-of-a-road-map-ver-3-0
  • Ferniand
    Ferniand Posts: 9
    Options
    I guess I am going over the top on the weighing. I'm just really looking forward to losing this 40 pounds I know I will lose before starting uni :P Thanks everyone though.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Its not about weight loss per se.
    You want better body composition.
    Thats Muscle to Fat ratio.
    Lose the fat naturally by using a slight deficit so you get the proper nutrients then add to the deficit with periodic exercise preferably weight lifting.
    Youll be walking a lot I assume while at uni so cardio is an option.
  • Ferniand
    Ferniand Posts: 9
    Options
    Lose the fat naturally by using a slight deficit so you get the proper nutrients then add to the deficit with periodic exercise preferably weight lifting.

Well I'm currently doing 30 Minutes of jogging/walking everyday , Once i get back in college it will be an hour of Walking/jogging and I'm only eating 1300 calories, Does it really matter what kind of calories I eat as long as i stay under the ammount im aiming for? And i'm sure you'd agree i'd be able to do 40lbs in 5 months right?
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

Well I'm currently doing 30 Minutes of jogging/walking everyday , Once i get back in college it will be an hour of Walking/jogging and I'm only eating 1300 calories, Does it really matter what kind of calories I eat as long as i stay under the ammount im aiming for? And i'm sure you'd agree i'd be able to do 40lbs in 5 months right?

For weight loss, only staying under calories matter.
    For weight loss, body composition and health, what you eat matters.