Low Calorie Appetizers?

Options
CFaye
CFaye Posts: 59
need some great ideas for yummy low cal appetizers ! We are going to a co-workers house warming party, and would like to bring something I can eat and not pack on the calories!

Thanks for your ideas! I'm not the most experienced cook! -Christina

Replies

• candicecumbie
    Options
    Hummus and veggies. Always a good option. Instead of cooking anything you can buy already made hummus.
  • FabulousFifty
    FabulousFifty Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    fresh fruit with yogurt dip....also shrimp and cocktail sauce....mmmmm....what time does the party start? :laugh:
  • laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    I like to do little mozzarella balls and cherry tomatoes on skewers and drizzle with italian dressing or pesto.
  • imagymrat
    imagymrat Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Low calorie boneless buffalo wings, serve with light blue cheese dressing

Prep Time: 10 minutes
    Cook Time: 10 minutes
    Total Time: 20 minutesIngredients:
    •1 lb. chicken breast tenders
    •4 egg whites
    •2 Tbsp commercial wing sauce, such as Frank's
    •1/2 cup ww flour
    •1/2 cup corn meal
    •1/2 tsp salt
    •1/2 tsp ground red pepper
    •2 Tbsp canola oil
    Preparation:
    1. Slice chicken breast tenders in half, vertically, and set aside.

2. In a small dish, whisk together the egg whites and 1 tablespoon of the hot sauce. In a seperate dish, mix together the flour, corn meal, salt, and ground red pepper.

3. Dip the chicken breast tenders in the egg mixture, and then in the flour mixture. Assure that the tenders are evenly coated. Repeat the procedure one more time so that each tender has been dipped in the egg and then the flour mixture two times. Set the breaded tenders on a plate.

4. Heat the cooking oil over medium heat in a large skillet. Place the tenders in the pan, and cook 4-5 minutes on each side or until the chicken is done and the outside is golden brown and crisp.

5. Place the chicken on paper towels, and drizzle with the remaining hot sauce.

Serves 8

roasted red pepper and bean spread, serve with crackers or baked pita chips

Total Time: 10 minutesIngredients:
    •1 15-ounce can great northern beans, drained and rinsed
    •2 Tbsp finely chopped bottled, roasted red bell peppers
    •1/2 tsp garlic powder
    •1/4 tsp ground cumin
    •1/8 tsp ground paprika
    Preparation:
    1. Place the beans in a food processor or blender, and process until smooth.

2. Place the beans, red bell pepper, garlic and cumin in a small dish, and stir together until well combined.

Makes about 1 cup

Per Serving (2 Tablespoons) Calories 46

Tomato and basil bruschetta
    Cook Time: 5 minutes
    Total Time: 15 minutesIngredients:
    •1 loaf crusty Italian bread, sliced 3/4-inch thick (about 16 pieces)
    •2 Tbsp olive oil
    •2 cups fresh, chopped tomatoes
    •2 Tbsp chopped basil
    •4 cloves of garlic, chopped very fine
    •1/2 tsp salt
    •1 oz. shaved mozzerella cheese
    Preparation:
    1. Combine the tomatoes, basil, garlic, and salt in a small bowl and set aside.

2. Set the oven to the broil setting.

3. Place the bread slices in a single layer on a large baking sheet. Using a basting brush, brush a small amount of the olive oil on each slice. Place the bread in the oven and broil for about 1 minute, or until the bread becomes lightly toasted.

4. Remove the bread from the oven, and spoon about 2 tablespoons of the tomato mixture on each slice. Top each with a couple shaves of mozzarella. Broil for another 30 seconds. Watch the bruschetta carefully during this time to make sure it does not burn.

Serves 16

Per Serving Calories 68
  • CocoFire
    CocoFire Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I made some Sizzled Citrus Shrimp Kabobs for a work BBQ. They were great to keep me from getting into the burgers and hot dogs. The recipe is from the Essential Eating Well Cookbook that I use.

I toss the shrimp in fresh lemon juice squeezed from one whole lemon, several tablespoons of minced garlic, 1 teaspoon of crushed cayenne. You can use fresh shrimp if you are ok with peeling and deveining. I used the precooked shrimp and thawed them. Once they are well marinated, toss them in a pan and cook until they are pink (if raw) or until they are thoroughly cooked. You can add you favorite selection of veggie chunks and skewer them. They are also great served with about a cup of baked potato wedges basted in the left over juice from the shrimp.

2/3 cup of the shrimp is 171 calories, 6g fat, 1g saturated fat, 172 mg cholesterol, 315 mg sodium, 4g carbs, 23g protein.

I have a picture of the kabobs on my blog:
    http://revsmetaphor.blogspot.com/2010/06/blog-post_16.html

Cheers!
  • CocoFire
    CocoFire Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    The tomato basil bruschetta sounds awesome
  • CFaye
    CFaye Posts: 59
    Options
    Great!! Thanks for all the AWESOME ideas!! yummmmm
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    I posted these 0 WW Point Tuna appetizers a little while ago - there is a PHOTO in the posting as well

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/103855-tuna-salad-appetizers-w-photo-0-ww-points?hl=tuna#posts-1434056

I plan on making breaded zucchini sticks and marinara sauce along with white bean crostini appetizers this Saturday so I will take a photo of those and post them up here this weekend.
  • kpaulsen
    kpaulsen Posts: 25
    Options
    Bump