Subway Diet

Options
2»

Replies

• trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Based on MFP, my levels are great!

Don't trust the macro levels / calorie goals from MFP.
  • veggieluver2
    veggieluver2 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    My first thought was this is an April Fool's post from Monday. Seriously, a Subway diet?

I agree with the other poster that questioned why not making your own sandwich. Better quality food and a cost-saving.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    I eat Subway once and a while... like once a month... but I couldn't imagine eating it every single day. I love making my own food, and it's way more cost-efficient. I can make a pot of nutrient-rich, hearty chili to feed myself and my SO for a week for under 10 bucks.
  • heatherforever222
    heatherforever222 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I uess everyone has there own thing/ Like I said before I've lost 7 pounds in 7 weeks so its working for me. Good luck to everyone!
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    As a poor college grad with no time for cooking, I'm pretty much on a sandwich diet. I think it's great for weight loss! I use whole wheat bread and get my veggies in with spinach and tomatoes and occasionally something more interesting, like bell peppers. I can up the protein with natural peanut butter or chicken. I can get my fish in with tuna. Great stuff. I am not a huge fan of Subway, but I definitely am a fan of sandwiches!
  • iLoveMyAR15
    iLoveMyAR15 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    That's awesome that it works for you. I stopped eating Subway when I found out the meat was sliced on the other side of the country and then shipped out. Yikes!
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    No shame in eating a fave food for a while.

Just have a plan in place for when you get sick of it.
  • Justkeepswimmin
    Justkeepswimmin Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    It seems that they make up for the lower calories with astronomical sodium counts.

Yeah I agree with this. I don't really eat 'real' bread that often anymore the sodium is insane. Lunch meat sodium is nuts. Their cheese isn't fat free and is also high in sodium just like the dressings. Their vegetarian options are limited, some have veggie burgers but they have more fat than protein. In short, if we're on the road and there's not much else around I'll do this. However, I'd rather go to Chipotle and get a brown rice bowl with veggies, corn salsa, regular salsa and black beans with a tiny bit of guac for healthy fats (the guac at subway made me violently ill for 12 hours once and is gritty)
  • cubbies77
    cubbies77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    $35/week is definitely enough to buy the meat, bread, cheese, and veggies if you shop sales and/or use the store brands. Heck, you could probably get two weeks out of that.

I'm not criticizing, just trying to save you some money. :) If it works for you, great! Personally, I couldn't eat that many sandwiches, but I'm sure I eat a lot of stuff that other people would get sick of in a hurry. Congrats on seven pounds lost!
  • __RANDY__
    __RANDY__ Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    subway is repulsive
  • lovemitch125
    lovemitch125 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Haven't tried the diet, but I do get their heart healthy 6" subs with no cheese or dressings and lots of veggies.
    I like to switch it up between subway, maintream nutrition, salad works, panera and pita pit. I have been eating out a lot lately... oops.
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    Its working for you for now, so do what YOU Love. You're getting your veggies, etc. Hopefully over time you then find even more healthy foods you love and can branch out.

Is it the 'best' no, is it better than McDonalds, Y*ll yes, so don't let others stop you. Just keep in mind that over time, it would be better to take it even further.
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    Happy you've found something that works for you!

However it's not for me. I don't consider bread with GMO-laden veggies healthy. The veggies they have there basically just count as water anyways, they are so bland and tasteless after being packaged in plastic and probably transported long distances to reach you. The lettuce always seems really dry and white (never very green) and peppers always look sad. :frown: However Subway is one of the only fast food places I'll go if I'm on a road trip and in a bind.

I can make a much healthier sandwich at home for a lot less than $5/day. Let's just say you go 3 days in a row. You could use that $15 to buy high quality organic bread, any high quality toppings you want, and still have money left over to splurge on a fancy mustard or prime cut of meat, whatever floats your boat. That'd last you longer than 3 days too.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    No shame in eating a fave food for a while.

Just have a plan in place for when you get sick of it.

^This

I eat at subway occasionally, but if I had to eat there twice a day everyday I would burn out very quickly.
  • michellelemorgan
    michellelemorgan Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    You do know that Subway is fast food, right?
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Not as a diet per se, but I do like their sandwiches and the ones that fit on that menu are good. I can see how it would work, be easy, and also be convenient and variety. Especially if you changed which veggies you chose too. And don't listen to people who can't afford it. If YOU can, then that's all that matters. Good luck. Don't listen to anyone being negative in any way. If you can afford it and tolerate the sameness or just like sameness, good for you. Do what you want, it's America! Lol.
  • Lil_Linds
    Lil_Linds Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Happy you've found something that works for you!

However it's not for me. I don't consider bread with GMO-laden veggies healthy. The veggies they have there basically just count as water anyways, they are so bland and tasteless after being packaged in plastic and probably transported long distances to reach you. The lettuce always seems really dry and white (never very green) and peppers always look sad. :frown:
    This.
  • tigersfan90
    Options
    If I had the money to buy a sandwich or two every day I totally would. But I'm kinda tight on money right now. Gotta love being poor. But that's great that it's working for you! I get Subway whenever I have an extra dollar or two. Thanks for the idea! :)