Clothing Crisis!

Options
Hello myfitnesspal! Since August I have lost almost 60 lbs but have now found myself in a fickle regarding my old clothes and not wanting to throw them away because that would be a huge waste of money. I know it comes with the change but it's still something very difficult for me. What I'm asking is if anyone has any idea how I can re-purpose and reuse some of these over-
sized clothes so that I won't just have to get rid of them and buy a whole new wardrobe for spring/summer? The items I have that really too big are shorts and dresses. I'm up for diy type things but am not the best at sewing.

Thanks for any help!!

Replies

• daniellemm1
    daniellemm1 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Get them tailored a few pieces at a time.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    move on,, and its best to be naked anyways.
  • kathrine3
    kathrine3 Posts: 34
    Options
    Pinterest!
  • amyrrector
    Options
    Perhaps you can find someone who is on their own journey that can use some of your hand me downs. I always hated buying clothes knowing that in about 15 lbs I'd need more! Thank goodness for friends and family giving me all their old stuff!
  • betsy179
    betsy179 Posts: 34
    Options
    You can give them a women's shelter
  • toothwalker_
    toothwalker_ Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    If they're good quality, special occasion, or just in good condition, try consignment. Everything that can't be consigned, women's shelter. You can also sell them on ebay if you have the time/patience/ability to ship things.
  • WannaDizzolve
    WannaDizzolve Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    choose your 5 nicest pieces and have them tailored. Donate the rest. Backwards is not a direction, particularly where weight loss is concerned.

And Congratulations on losing 60 lb!

Cheers.:drinker:
  • JessLammert
    Options
    Thanks for the quick replies! I've donated a lot of clothes already when I had to thin out my closet and I guess I'm just nervous about having nothing to wear (wowgirlproblems). I'm not super attached to any of them so I might just look for ways to turn them into something I could wear now.
  • Jamcnair
    Jamcnair Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    When I lost weight, I took a lot of my clothes to a consignment shop and then some shirts and dresses I started wearing with belts around the waist to look more tailored
  • SavvyGurl0528
    SavvyGurl0528 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    You know, I saw a post on here a few days ago regarding this same thing. Has anyone ever thought of an MFP Swap Shop or an MFP Garage Sale? Maybe we could start a group where people could post photos and prices of the stuff they no longer fit in to and others could purchase?
  • ale527
    ale527 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I've seen pictures of people using their old clothes to make cute purses or shirt quilts. There are tutorials all over the web and it could make for a nice, relaxing project.
  • denisedwrt
    denisedwrt Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    You know, I saw a post on here a few days ago regarding this same thing. Has anyone ever thought of an MFP Swap Shop or an MFP Garage Sale? Maybe we could start a group where people could post photos and prices of the stuff they no longer fit in to and others could purchase?

^ GREAT idea!!
  • sriley721
    sriley721 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    When I stopped working in an office and started working from home I donated all my work clothes to Dressed for Success. They were thrilled to have larger sizes. They said size 16 is most needed and least donated.
  • endoftheside
    endoftheside Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Pillows don't required too much sewing. Book covers. I turn cotton things into dust cloths so I get to see them around for a while longer. Cloth hankies. Cinch sacks. Donating to battered women's shelters or crisis assistance places gets the clothes to people who really need them. It might make you feel better to figure out how many pieces of each type of clothing you would ideally like to have (x tops, y bottoms, z dresses, etc.) and then swap items out as you buy new, so that you aren't looking at too sparse of a closet. Or even buy some OK but not expensive things at Goodwill in your current size so that you have enough bulk, while you are slowly building up your wardrobe with more expensive pieces. Consignment is a good place to shop as well as sell and that might kill two birds!
  • Mermaidyo
    Mermaidyo Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Not sure if you have swaps in your area but it's like online garage sale on facebook. I've bought $5 pair of nice SILVER jeans which are my fav!! i've went down 4 pant sizes so I definitely needed something.
  • Lalasharni
    Lalasharni Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Sell the good stuff on Ebay and buy new ones with the cash!
  • sweettarra
    Options
    Please let me know if anyone starts this! I would be interested in swapping clothes.
  • dogo187
    dogo187 Posts: 376
    Options
    if you dont plan to get them tailored....GET RID OF THEM!!!!

and get some new ones that fit....

it would be an even bigger waste of your time and effort that it took to lose that 60lbs, if you fit into them again at some point!
  • swissbrit
    swissbrit Posts: 201
    Options
    If they are in good condition and quality sell them on ebay then go and by new ones :-) or give them to charity and know that you have done something good as there are many needy people on the planet :flowerforyou:
  • wbandel
    wbandel Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Depending on the quality of clothes you can tailor them yourself or take them to a tailor to fix. I take my cheap t-shirts and tanktops in at the side hems. I found good DIY guides on pinterest. You can also repurpose old button up shirts into aprons and stuff like that. My sewing isn't the best, so it's pretty obvious I altered my clothes, but it works for me as I'm a student and constantly working in the art studio getting dirty anyways. Dresses and pants are probably better tailored by a professional or donated/sold. It'll be sad at first, but you'll feel much better in your nice new clothes.

I save a lotta old clothes with fabric I like to be repurposed into stuffed animals. I make a lot of toys as gifts for family members. If you do that I'd suggest cutting sleeves and stuff off so you aren't tempted to allow yourself to fit back into them.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!