Vegetables

Options
doomspark
doomspark Posts: 228 Member
I am looking for vegetable recipes that don't involve 20-gazillion specialized ingredients, and are easy to make. No squash, please - I can't eat it.

Replies

• tbrain1989
    tbrain1989 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    1, large portobella or other flat mushroom!
    1 teaspoon tomato puree
    1/4 white onion/ finally chopped,
    1/4 red onion finally chopped
    low fat reduced salt mozarella (chunked or grated) 100 grams,

turn grill on, place puree and cheese on mushroom, place onion on mushroom, grill for Ten minutes on medium grill.. walla.. healthy pizza option

obviously you can get creative with the toppings, add peppers, chillies, tomatoes, .. what ever you fancy
  • doomspark
    Options
    Now that sounds really tasty! I love mushrooms - but don't tend to think of them as a veggie.
  • scott1111111
    scott1111111 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    1 head of cauliflower
    chop into pieces
    1 head of garlic peeled whole cloves
    toss with olive oil and salt to taste
    place on pan and roast in oven for 30 - 40 minutes at 400 - 425
    last 10 minutes sprinkle with Parmesan cheese
    eat
  • doomspark
    Options
    1 head of cauliflower
    chop into pieces
    eat

Query: could you mix the cauliflower with other veggies (carrot chunks, broccoluses) for taste / texture variety?
  • scott1111111
    scott1111111 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    1 head of cauliflower
    chop into pieces
    eat

Query: could you mix the cauliflower with other veggies (carrot chunks, broccoluses) for taste / texture variety?

You can but the cauliflower gets a really nice nutty flavor especially with the parm added since it is a mellow taste to start with, and I love the garlic cloves when they are roasted like that.

When I roast other veggies like carrots and broccoli I tend to do them a little different, mostly the same but I use MRS Dash spicy and the contrast of the spice and sweetness of the carrots is really good.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Chop the vegetable into small pieces (if necessary) and put in bowl. Coat with evoo (or oil of your choice). Sprinkle with seasonings of your choice (for most I like black pepper, garlic powder and ceyenne). Toss to coat with spices. Roast in hot over (375-400 F) until browned but not mushy.

This works for most non-leafy vegetables (including squash). It also works well outside on a grill.

Root vegetables - chop into chunks and roast with lean pork or beef and onions.

White vegetables - cauliflower, parsnips, turnips - prepare just as you would mashed potatoes. Mix altogether if desired.
  • keepongoingnmw
    keepongoingnmw Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Roasted cauliflower is awesome. I usually just spray with olive oil and add salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper. I also second the roasted veggies. pretty much any veg can be roasted. I like making big batches and adding it to my salads and sandwiches.