When did you start running?

Options
I want to run. I have always wanted to run. I am a fat kid, grown up who never has been able to run down a block- in my entire life. I know that there are great apps, but do not know when I should start. I have lost approx 70 lbs so far and I am 225lbs/ 5'6". I think that still may be a lot of weight on my joints. Were you able to get to a point of running? If so, what weight were you when you started? If you had to do it again, what would you have done differently?

Replies

• RunForChai
    RunForChai Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I started running about 20 years ago when I was in my mid-thirties. I thought I couldn't run though I longed to do so. A woman in my yoga class encouraged me to do just try. I began by running early in the morning so no one could see me----I made every mistake [bad shoes, ran on cement, ran too fast to be able to sustain it....]--but I kept trying. I remember being so sore, having blisters on my blisters---you don't need to make these mistakes. But I kept running and eventually ran a 3k, then a 10k, then...well, thirty marathons. I learned to love running. I made a new group of friends who were runners who were supportive and kind and fun. I ran with my daughter through her rough teen years. I ran through the deaths of people I loved. Running is my friend.

SO:
    get some good shoes and socks
    start out on a soft surface and run slowly [so that you can talk]
    take frequent walking breaks
    stretch AFTER you run, not before
    and work up slowly---3 minutes slow running, 5 minutes walk....

**Also, you may have to start by running in the pool if you are to heavy for your frame [you will lose weight]--running in the pool is a great workout---wear a water vest, go in the deep water and yes, run slowly in place---Olympic runners do this when they are injured.

Good luck---running transformed my body and mind and life.
  • crobl
    crobl Posts: 380
    Options
    I want to run. I have always wanted to run. I am a fat kid, grown up who never has been able to run down a block- in my entire life. I know that there are great apps, but do not know when I should start. I have lost approx 70 lbs so far and I am 225lbs/ 5'6". I think that still may be a lot of weight on my joints. Were you able to get to a point of running? If so, what weight were you when you started? If you had to do it again, what would you have done differently?

Oh sister - I'm only about 10 lbs lighter than you and I can run 5-6 miles like it's my job! I started running (more/consistently/like I gave a crap) when I was about 250. Start slow and with walking intervals to build up your endurance. Try to job just a little more each time than you did the time before. When I started - I could barely run a mile (granted there's a long story involving surgery in there)...but it will come!!!
  • tomcornhole
    tomcornhole Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    Maybe start off with walking on a treadmill at an incline. That's what I did and it worked pretty well. Still do that. I do 60 minutes at 3.6 mph on an average 6% incline. A lot easier on the body. Once you are comfortable with that, start doing the run for 1 minute, walk for 3 and gradually change that ratio to all running.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I started running about two years ago...I probably weighed about 200 pounds at the time. Never followed C25k but did something similar at my own pace and schedule where I did intervals and kept maknig them longer and faster until I was able to run a whole mile then two miles, etc.

A few very important things for newbie runners to know:

1) Shoes are very important. Find a high end shoe store or a running shoe store and have them check your stride, make recommendations, try a bunch of different ones on, etc. And make sure they have a guarantee so if the shoes end up giving you trouble, you can bring them back for exchange/return. You're going to need to spend at least $100 on a good pair of runners so obviously you need some guarantee that if they sized or fit you wrong, you can try again.

2) When you start to run, don't sprint. It's very common for newbie runners to give it their all and try to run fast when they do their intervals. And that's ok but if you do that, don't be disappinted when you can only run for a minute or less before you're winded and feel like you're going to pass out. If you take it slow and easy, you'll be able to last a bit longer. A good way to pace yourself is to run at the rhythm of your breathing. Two or three footfalls as you inhale, two or three footfalls as you exhale. Keep working at it and you'll find your pace soon enough.

3) Form is important. Keep your feet under you. Land mid-foot. Keep your shoulders relaxed and arms low. Keep your back straight and abs in. And of course breathe the whole time.
  • annakdavis
    annakdavis Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much! I really appreciate all of your comments.
  • ameliaannakin
    ameliaannakin Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I stated running late last year. I started with the C25K programme, then did a 10K bridge and have just kept on going. I can now run about 10 miles, am running a half marathon in May and full marathon in October - I must be mad.

I agree with a couple of the posters above - good shoes are a must! I also found that 'slow and steady' was key. I didn't compare myself to anyone in the gym at the start - I was running at 8km/h and hyperventilating after a couple of minutes - which is why I did the C25K programme. This really helped me and really worked! I would definitely recommend doing this to get started :)

Ax
  • jmelton9
    jmelton9 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Wow! I am so glad I found this post. I have the same ambition to be a runner, and the same questions. I weigh about 5 more pounds than you, but shorter. I feel for the first time in my life I am truly determined to get up and go, but was unsure where to even begin! I have downloaded the C25K app, and convinced a friend to run a 5k with me in October. I am sure by then I will be able to do it. I am so glad everyone posted, thank you for the help, even though it wasn't my post.
  • jcjsjones
    jcjsjones Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I was 250 lbs. when I started running. Get the C25K app on your phone and just DO IT! Speed does not matter, just do the program. It will get easier and will help you lose weight. If you need a goal, sign up for a race! Also have your gait measured and get some good shoes. All this will make a difference.

Good luck!! You can do this! :):wink: :flowerforyou:
  • kavanaghev
    kavanaghev Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Just start. Buy your shoes and wake up the next morning and run slow intervals. It is the best feeling in the world. My doc told me not to run until I was 150lbs (i had to lose 40lbs) and I followed his advice, but I also had prior injuries that required that much weight loss.

I have ALWAYS wanted to be a runner. My husband runs ultra marathons and I couldn't even run a mile for my whole life. Now I run 3-5 miles a day and look forward to it every morning. It is so worth it.