When You've Got No Money...

Options

Replies

• eliseofthejungle
    eliseofthejungle Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    It really depends on what is on sale. Thoroughly look over the sale ads and see what you like and can afford. That's how I shop with a tiny budget every week

Also, blocks of cheese are not always cheaper. At my grocery store 8oz of shredded cheese and an 8oz block of cheese cost exactly the same amount. The shredded goes on sale more often, though.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    who needs food?
    a bottle of whiskey is all you need.
  • baileybiddles
    baileybiddles Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    who needs food?
    a bottle of whiskey is all you need.

White wine would be my drink of choice is that was the way to go!
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    Apples, bananas, potatoes, and carrots are pretty much always cheap. I also look for buy one get one free deals and freeze stuff (like milk, bread).
  • hamiltonba
    hamiltonba Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Sweetpeaob3- strawberries and blueberries are super expensive - the poor girl wants to eat, not starve!! Yes, they may be healthy, but there are other fruits to eat that are cheaper. I don't believe suggesting expensive fruits is what she is looking for......
  • leighann881
    leighann881 Posts: 371
    Options
    Frozen veggies
  • iiiEllie
    iiiEllie Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Tuna is a pretty cheap and healthy product. It ranges from .89-1.00 a can.
    Also, oatmeal is amazing! Try and stay away from the pre packaged ones though, nothing but sugar there.

I would LOVE to be where you are. Tuna is 3$ a can here. :(
  • nas061
    nas061 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    and don't by shredded cheese which is more expensive than blocks of cheese

I agree
  • GurleyGirl524
    GurleyGirl524 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    definately eggs, you can usually find some frozen veggies on a sale pretty cheap. Check the meat and seafood departments for mark downs (be sure to freeze these if you aren't going to use them right away). Pasta, rice, and dry beans are usually pretty cheap. My grocer often has chicken and tilapia BOGO. Bananas are usually the cheapest fresh fruit. My best advice, check the ads and plan plan plan.
  • Shara126
    Shara126 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Tuna, black beans and oatmeal. You can get a huge canister of oatmeal for under 2$ and it lasts a long time. Cheap breakfast!!!!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Frozen vegetables and fruits are usually a good bargain.
    Eggs
    Dried beans
    Brown rice

A big pot of soup, stew or chili can be very inexpensive to make and feed you for days. Made with rice or barley, dried beans and frozen vegetables, it can be just a few cents per serving.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    largest bag of brown rice you can afford. and largest bag of beans.

frozen veggies again largest bags most economical.

one stick of butter or margarine and you're set.
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    Do you have a farmer's market nearby? It isn't an option for everyone (i.e. not currently in season where I live) but when it is in season I am often surprised at how much produce I can get for the money. I also find it lasts noticeably longer than from the supermarket.
  • amelia_atlantic
    amelia_atlantic Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    Buy seeds and granola in the bulk section of the grocery store and add them to your yogurt! Less than $1!
    Frozen veggies and fruits go a long way
    Sweet potatoes are super cheap and can go in anything! (Black bean and sweet potato burritos freeze well)
    LENTILS! Also very cheap and you can buy them in bulk
    Tofu is a cheap protein source thats very versitle
    EGGS!
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    When you have very little money for groceries on a given week, what foods do you buy that can stretch and keep you full?

I literally have maybe 25 bucks for groceries this week. I know I need to buy chicken. Other than that, I'm lost.

A few things I already have in my arsenal:

Romaine lettuce
    Salsa
    Pasta & sauce
    Black beans
    Shredded cheeses
    A few containers of yogurt
    1/2 gallon of milk

That's about it that I can think of.

eggs, potatos, tuna, frozen veggies (super cheap at places like walmart, not necessarily the greatest but it will tide you over for the week), brown rice (the kind that takes longer to cook is cheaper than the minute rice, sadly ;)

Check the meat area for stuff on sale (may need to cook it the same or next day) as well as the produce section for reduced-quick sale items.
  • rderrickwhite
    rderrickwhite Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Buy seeds and granola in the bulk section of the grocery store and add them to your yogurt! Less than $1!
    Frozen veggies and fruits go a long way
    Sweet potatoes are super cheap and can go in anything! (Black bean and sweet potato burritos freeze well)
    LENTILS! Also very cheap and you can buy them in bulk
    Tofu is a cheap protein source thats very versitle
    EGGS!

What this guys said, I will second. When I was your age, I never had enough cash to eat.

Lentils are where it's at. Eggs are still to this day one of my favorite foods because of their versatility and price. Sweet potatoes are rad. Turkey is cheaper than chicken, at leas where I live. Beans, if you purchase them dry, are so cheap it's ridiculous. In fact if you live near a Mexican Grocery, you may find dry beans to be cheaper there than at your local Wal-Mart. Brown rice will last forever.

Most importantly, keep your chin up. It won't be this hard forever.
  • staceyw73
    staceyw73 Posts: 49
    Options
    everyone was talking about coupons if you have a dollor tree in the area they take coupons there too and you can find some can good there and some frozen food they dont carry alot but it might be worth checkiing out. i went there to pick up stuff for boyfriends lunches micowave stuff and few other things and prob cut my 40 bill to 20 cause of having coupons. just make sure you find out what the stores rules are for coupons.
  • Anna800
    Anna800 Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    I would eat rice and beans & pasta. So I would just need to buy fruit and one vegetable for the week.
  • akshayam29
    Options
    sweet potatoes and avocado...yummy and cheap....
  • kiesha22001
    kiesha22001 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    http://www.pocketyourdollars.com/ is a great website to get coupons, etc.