How often do you replace your running shoes?

Options
Just curious? I'm wanting new ones but don't know if I really NEED new ones just yet

Replies

• majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    Totally depends on the shoe. Some only last 200 miles or so, others around 500. Once they hit 200, I start being on the alert for new aches and pains that might signal that the shoe is breaking down. But as long as they feel okay, I keep using them.
  • TAMayorga
    TAMayorga Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Totally depends on the shoe. Some only last 200 miles or so, others around 500. Once they hit 200, I start being on the alert for new aches and pains that might signal that the shoe is breaking down. But as long as they feel okay, I keep using them.

^^^ Yes.
  • mamabravo68
    Options
    every 6-8 months.. i use mine every day, 1 hour on the fred, or outside.. they break down quickly, and i feel it in my feet and knees:love:
  • krystina_letitia9
    krystina_letitia9 Posts: 697 Member
    Options

I really need to keep track of my mileage!
  • TamLee17
    TamLee17 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Some say 3 months if your a runner, and some say 6 months........I had a pair since last August and just replaced them a couple weeks ago....there was a hole in the toe and was starting to get blisters!!! (I had started running in September)
  • FitToFifty
    FitToFifty Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I was just looking at new Saucony's today and am trying to figure out how to convince hubby that it is a matter of need and not just the pretty color! LOL!
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options

I really need to keep track of my mileage!
    My running log does it for me--I really like the one at RunningAhead: http://www.runningahead.com/
  • RunningRichelle
    RunningRichelle Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Ditto on the aches and pains. Each shoe will be different, and more minimal shoes may take less miles to wear out.

Personally, my knees start to feel like fire at mile 3-4 of a run if my Brooks PureCadence are in need of replacing, which is usually somewhere around mile 250 on the shoe.

*Edited for typo :-)
  • agbaeb
    agbaeb Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I put 600 running miles on my last pair (but I had additional walking/work miles on them). My newer pair is strictly running (not even for walking) and I have 360 miles on them so far. I will replace them when I hit 500 miles.
  • agbaeb
    agbaeb Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Also, there's an app called "Shoedometer" that is great if you have a smartphone.
  • Amberh82
    Amberh82 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I haven't been keeping track of my mileage...I do wear them to walk the dog and train for 5ks a few times a week...
  • katekross
    katekross Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    6 months with moderate use.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Every year. I use the old pair for knocking around in since they aren't really worn out.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Personally, I just let myself be aware of any new aches and pains that may signal that my shoe is wearing down...I'd say on average, I'd say mine are in need of replacing every 6 months or so...I'd estimate that to be around 200-250 miles for the amount that I run.
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    I get new shoes about every 400 miles or so... which ends up being around every 8 months or so. But if they are starting to look/feel worn and I'm noticing aches and pains, then I will replace them sooner.
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    I actually have 2 brand new pairs cause I got them on sale (and I love running sneakers) even though my current ones aren't ready yet. I have at least 500 miles on them but they're still ok, when I do a longer run I'm beginning to notice that they might be getting ready so I'm keeping them til the Tough Mudder in June then wearing them there. I have a new pair I'm planning on wearing for a run or 2 this weekend and once they're ready, I'll be using them
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I just replaced mine, and I put about 350 miles on them. The bottom treads started wearing on them, thus the life of a trail runner lol. But, like everyone else I keep an eye on the condition of the shoe and any aches and pains that are different from my normal training occurrences.
  • TwinkieDong
    TwinkieDong Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    I am not an avid runner anymore, but I will get there. I was in the Military and we ran ALLOT at least 20 miles a week. I noticed different shoes wear quicker than others. The best I found were asics or anything with GEL. The gel doesn't break down like foams do. So on average I would change shoes every 6-10 months. You can also prolong their use by buying gel inserts.
  • dove100
    dove100 Posts: 8
    Options
    My knees tell me when its time for new shoes; but don't put it off
  • O2Bslimagain
    O2Bslimagain Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I buy running shoes about every 3-4 months. Once my feet start hurting I know that is a sign. Running is a very expensive sport, but if you are committed to walking/running daily you need to protect your feet/knees/hips/joints and so forth, so I think it is wise to buy new shoes every 3-4 months.

Another thing you can do is pick up your shoe and bend it, so your toe bends towards your heal and if you see crease marks in the part that is bending that is another sign. It will be a bunch of crease marks like it is almost breaking down and cracking. I hope this helps. A fellow Canadian!