The relative that "smacks" when they eat.............

Options
ninerbuff
ninerbuff Posts: 48,641 Member
There's usually always one and mine was ALWAYS told to eat with his mouth closed, so I think he did it initially to irritate my aunt and uncle, but after years of habitually doing it, it's carried over to every family party.
So when he visits, I make food that he either won't eat, or something that he doesn't "smack" much (soup, stew).
You ever want to punch them in the month?

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
IDEA Fitness member
Kickboxing Certified Instructor
Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Replies

• kwagganin
    kwagganin Posts: 34
    Options
    My mother in law! I can't take it. It doesn't stop at smacking. She burps and farts and she thinks its al helluva joke. We talked to her about it, but she just doents care. I make sure I don't eat when she's eating. Ugh, I hate people with bad table manners!
  • redladywitch
    redladywitch Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's so darn annoying...
  • Sharkington
    Sharkington Posts: 485
    Options
    Oh man, food smacking really makes me cringe, too. That, and when people drag their metal forks against their teeth when they pull it out. Arghhh - that noise, why, how can they do that?

I find it really funny that you go out of your way to make food he can't smack. I can't say I blame you.
  • Erin959
    Erin959 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    OMG that is so annoying! There was a lady I used to work with that would do this all the time. She sounded like a cow eating grass. Whenever we had lunch or went out to dinner together the rest of us would always try not to get stuck sitting near her. This lady is lovely, but she just needs to shut her mouth when she eats!

My mum always told us off if we didn't eat with our mouths closed or talked with our mouths full. I think people with actual table manners are a dying breed (even though the lady I'm talking about is around 20 years older than me)
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Wow, that is sooo annoying and rude. A friend/relative comes to visit and has to worry about their eating habits. Maybe you should just do them a favor and unfriend them.
  • prettynotpretty
    Options
    i HATE when people smack their mouths when they eat. the sound of people chewing has got to be my biggest pet peeve ever. i feel ya on this one.
  • squatsandlipgloss
    squatsandlipgloss Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Some of you have misophonia? I do. When someone smacks, drags their fork over their plate, cuts into their plate when cutting food, slurps their drink/soup... Makes me want to commit a crime.
  • MissPeppers
    MissPeppers Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Some of you have misophonia? I do. When someone smacks, drags their fork over their plate, cuts into their plate when cutting food, slurps their drink/soup... Makes me want to commit a crime.
    THANK YOU for giving me the word for what I have! I've had it since I was little; even the sound of dripping water made me crazy - and loud eaters?

Like someone said.. makes me want to commit a crime...
  • squatsandlipgloss
    Options
    THANK YOU for giving me the word for what I have! I've had it since I was little; even the sound of dripping water made me crazy - and loud eaters?

I only just found out what I had last year, I thought I was weird for getting physically aggravated with constant sounds. Even my cats washing themselves at night can make me aggressive,
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,641 Member
    Options

I only just found out what I had last year, I thought I was weird for getting physically aggravated with constant sounds. Even my cats washing themselves at night can make me aggressive,
    Listening to congress argue over how much money they get to keep makes me think about committing a homicide.:laugh: :laugh:

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • My0WNinspiration
    My0WNinspiration Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    I slurp mashed potatoes.
  • PBsMommy
    PBsMommy Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    I hate, hate, hate when people smack, slurp, and make any other obnoxious noises while eating with a deep, dark passion. And some how I managed to marry one of those obnoxious eaters. I have contemplated stabbing him with a fork a multitude of times. He even does it on purpose just to piss my off some days.

That's okay though, he hates when I eat with my fingers.. Pay back is a b!tch!

I think I may have this misophonia that ya'll speak of. A lot of noises get on my nerves. The sound of a clock tick tocking makes me commit myself to the local looney bin. I sleep with a noise maker at night, because I can't stand noises.
  • squatsandlipgloss
    Options
    I hate, hate, hate when people smack, slurp, and make any other obnoxious noises while eating with a deep, dark passion. And some how I managed to marry one of those obnoxious eaters. I have contemplated stabbing him with a fork a multitude of times. He even does it on purpose just to piss my off some days.

That's okay though, he hates when I eat with my fingers.. Pay back is a b!tch!

I think I may have this misophonia that ya'll speak of. A lot of noises get on my nerves. The sound of a clock tick tocking makes me commit myself to the local looney bin. I sleep with a noise maker at night, because I can't stand noises.

Could very well be that you have misophonia. I have to sleep with the TV on because when my cats wash themselves, I will start twitching, trying not to jump out the window.
  • jenmarie2012
    jenmarie2012 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    As I'm smacking my gum! Lol ???????????????? ???? I just can't help it! Lol