Heart Rate Monitor Question :)

Options
2»

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

...YEAH SHE LITERALLY MEANS 1000 TIMES..... seriously? ...dont be ****'s lol

Given that the topic is focused on accuracy, perhaps people should be more careful about their claims.

Admittedly, had she even said that the HRM is 50% more accurate, I would have challenged that claim too. It is my belief that people just *assume* that the HRM is a more accurate determination of calories burned without any real basis. I am not yet convinced.

*sigh*

Indeed. This is also my usual reaction when I read of the claims of accuracy calories burned by a HRM.

(Full disclosure: I will probably be buying a HRM later this month. What I will not be doing, however, is believing that its calories burned estimation is inherently more accurate than some other estimate.)

I feel the same way. I also recently bought a Garmin with HRM.
    Like I said above many people on here have run into trouble by blinding following their HRM's estimate
  • 1980karen
    1980karen Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    i have just bought a polar ft4 and have been using it during every cardio session i have done.

while out running (also using runtastic on iphone to measure distance) my calorie count was alot lower than runtastic. however when i did a session at the gym and entered my age, weight etc. into the machines (treadmill, bike, x-trainer and stairmill) i got exactly the same calorie count on both machine and HRM.
  • phjorg
    phjorg Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    12 mile walk with a Wahoo HRM: 1,073 kcal.
    Same 12 mile walk with a Ki Fit: 2,645 kcal (- 1.8 kcal/min RMR for 275 minutes) = 2,150 kcal.
    MFP, walking, 3mph for 275 minutes: 1,509 kcal.

862-1,292 calories is a lot to be out by, assuming the Ki Fit is +/- 10% accurate (or is it +/- 5%?)

ETA: It depends on how accurate it is for you. My HRM is for heart rate, my Foot Pod is for steps, my GPS is for distance, my Ki Fit is for calories, and MFP is for food. Depending on your exercise and body you may well fit with what MFP or a HRM estimates for calorie expenditure - they are both OK for my 3 mile walks, but after 5-6 miles when I appear to go from 8-9 kcal/min to 11-12 kcal/min with no noticeable change in heart rate the 3 different methods get further and further apart for me.
    in the interest of accuracy, there is zero chance you are burning 8-12cal/min from walking. prob closer to 2-3 after you lose the 2-3 from your BMR.

marathon pace is aprox 13-15cal/min from exercise fyi. which is magnitudes more intense than walking is.
  • watfordjc
    watfordjc Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    12 mile walk with a Wahoo HRM: 1,073 kcal.
    Same 12 mile walk with a Ki Fit: 2,645 kcal (- 1.8 kcal/min RMR for 275 minutes) = 2,150 kcal.
    MFP, walking, 3mph for 275 minutes: 1,509 kcal.

862-1,292 calories is a lot to be out by, assuming the Ki Fit is +/- 10% accurate (or is it +/- 5%?)

ETA: It depends on how accurate it is for you. My HRM is for heart rate, my Foot Pod is for steps, my GPS is for distance, my Ki Fit is for calories, and MFP is for food. Depending on your exercise and body you may well fit with what MFP or a HRM estimates for calorie expenditure - they are both OK for my 3 mile walks, but after 5-6 miles when I appear to go from 8-9 kcal/min to 11-12 kcal/min with no noticeable change in heart rate the 3 different methods get further and further apart for me.
    in the interest of accuracy, there is zero chance you are burning 8-12cal/min from walking. prob closer to 2-3 after you lose the 2-3 from your BMR.

marathon pace is aprox 13-15cal/min from exercise fyi. which is magnitudes more intense than walking is.

Well, since I eat back my exercise calories, perhaps you can explain this?

Bod Pod results #1: http://pi.thejc.me.uk/weight-loss/Bod-Pod-2012-12-06.pdf
    Bod Pod results #2: http://pi.thejc.me.uk/weight-loss/Bod-Pod-2013-01-30.pdf
    Ki Fit weight loss chart: http://pi.thejc.me.uk/weight-loss/weight-loss-graph-2013-06-04.png

The red line in that image is a straight line from getting my Ki Fit to my goal weight, so my expectation is that I will deviate below the line the closer to the halfway point I get, after which both lines start to come closer together again (1% mass loss per week rather than the same amount per week throughout).

Considering I did very little exercise between 10th Feburary and 19th March due to illness, how can you say with 100% certainty that my RMR and exercise calories are incorrect? Discounting water weight due to my sodium intake being correlative with my calorie intake, and assuming the possibility of the gravity in my bathroom fluctuating is insignificant enough to not factor it in, the results so far are indicative that the Ki Fit may be accurate for me minute-by-minute (my RMR between 10th February and 19th March was 1.5-1.9 kcal/min, I lost the weight I expected to lose).

I'm not drawing conclusions from my Bod Pod results without the one scheduled in 3 weeks time since two data points don't make a pattern.
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    Options
    FT 7 here and I only use water with mine
  • watfordjc
    watfordjc Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Ignore what I've wrote about my HRM - the data and conclusion are invalid.

Just got back from a 15.75 mi walk and drilled down into the settings in the app I use to work out why the longer walks are so far off and discovered an error on my part - the app doesn't sync settings between devices.

So, when I switched to my iPad for the longer walks (better battery life for bluetooth ANT+ and GPS) the calories burned were based on heart rate, terrain, steps, distance, and speed. It made the assumption I weigh 140 lb (IIRC) so will likely be more accurate after I enter my weight and measurements on another day (it needs two days of data).