Interesting Study that helps with long-term weight loss

Options
cee134
cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
So I always heard the battle isn't losing weight, it's keeping it off after you've lost it. In my research I came across this simple study. It studies people that have maintained at least a 30 pound weight loss for one year or longer and what they do to keep the weight they lost off. I find this helpful knowledge and am going to sign up now that I qualify. It has good data, supported by actual facts (something that may be missing in some posts, :wink:) that talk about what people have done and how they have been successful and what has worked and not worked. You can even add to the data if you feel like signing up. (I am signing up for it and will update with my experience)

To find, Google: The National Weight Control Registry

Some info:

The National Weight Control Registry is tracking over 10,000 individuals who have lost significant amounts of weight and kept it off for long periods of time. The National Weight Control Registry (NWCR), established in 1994 by
Rena Wing, Ph.D. from Brown Medical School, and James O. Hill, Ph.D. from the University of Colorado, is the largest prospective investigation of long-term successful weight loss maintenance.

There is variety in how NWCR members keep the weight off. Most report continuing to maintain a low calorie, low fat diet and doing high levels of activity.

78% eat breakfast every day.
75% weigh themselves at least once a week.
62% watch less than 10 hours of TV per week.
90% exercise, on average, about 1 hour per day.

Replies

• lorielovehailey
    lorielovehailey Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Yes, I've read several stories about this and it is very interesting! It helped me come to the conclusion that there is no such thing as quitting my food and exercise journal. As someone who has lost and gained 100 pounds twice, I know that I'm going to have to be a lifer on here (or some form of food journaling). Thanks for posting.
  • stephenson2012
    stephenson2012 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I read an article this morning about this study. One of the things I noted was less than 10 hours of TV a week. That means they are not just sitting even if they are working out only 1 hour a day. There means being active doing something.
  • Zylahe
    Zylahe Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Yep i read that too.
    I always wondered given that ppl who have lost weight and maintained have to excersize more than a person who was never fat.
    Did they gain the weight in the first case because they have a slower metabolism, or was it losing weight that slowed the metabolism?
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!