Jogging issue.

Options
So yesterday I went 33 minutes at 3.5-4 mph. Did fine. Well today I got on to jog and my calf just do not want to work with me. They hurt like a dull pain. I have had sore muscles and this does not feel like this. Could it be from not drinking enough water??

Kim

Replies

• chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    It took me a long time to be able to run back to back days. Maybe try something else in between. It is important to stay hydrated. I also eat Bananas to help alleviate cramps.
  • cakesmooth
    cakesmooth Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    It's also important to change your shoes frequently. I buy new running shoes every 100 miles. I can feel mild discomfort in my knees and back when its time to change my shoes. I would also suggest a mult-vitamin and lots of stretching. Some calf stretches will probably feel nice. Don't overdo the stretch. Also, some walking or another type of cardio or yoga can really help work the pain out of sore muscles. I've been running for 19 years. :)
  • cakesmooth
    cakesmooth Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Also, if the pain continues you may want to see a sports medicine doctor just to make sure you aren't running incorrectly and that there isn't anything wrong with your legs. I had ligament pain once while training for a half marathon and saw a sports medicine doctor immediately. He checked many things and informed me that it was just normal training pain, to keep jogging and training, and that it would eventually go away. It did! He checked my gait, the wear on my shoe tread, my knees and joints, the length of my bones, and who knows what else.
  • Iron_Biker
    Iron_Biker Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    How long have you been running?

Try to keep well hydrated, and always perform a warm-up before running.

Also, do not over-excercise. It has happened to me sometimes, always after trying to break my previous records... the suggestion would be to increase speed/distance gradually, so that your body can keep up with your animosity.

I also found that running from time to time on a treadmill helps correct your running posture and stride, as long as you concentrate on the right movements and make it a habit.
  • Mary_Burris
    Mary_Burris Posts: 120
    Options
    Make sure you strech! drink PLENTY of water and Make sure your shoes fit properly. I was having problems with my shin hurting when I was jogging and got new shoes and it never hurts now. :bigsmile:
  • msforeverfaithful
    msforeverfaithful Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Sounds like typical soreness from exercise to me. From my experience when you push your muscles more or challenge them in a different way you get soreness. After a while it will subside. I also co-sign with the person that mentioned shoes, shoes are a HUGE deal. Find out what type of shoe you need (www.asics.com is a good place to start).

BUT this soreness could be an injury so be careful :) Try asking someone at a fitness store like ****'s Sporting Goods before paying a co-pay if you can. I did and after about four stores I found a teenager at Finish Line who was more than helpful! He ran track at his high school. Sometimes the employees are very knowledgeable about running and how shoes provide comfort. I have asics and they rock got them on sale from JC Penny.

AND Google is your best friend do some research to help your cause (www.halhigdon.com is a good place to start)

happy jogging :)
  • Dive_Girl
    Dive_Girl Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I took a running clinic last year to "learn" how to run. Yes, I never did it before and just couldn't run at all so I found a coach. She told me, do not stretch before running but ALWAYS stretch after to avoid injuries. I have followed her instructions and have not yet had any issues.
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    I took a running clinic last year to "learn" how to run. Yes, I never did it before and just couldn't run at all so I found a coach. She told me, do not stretch before running but ALWAYS stretch after to avoid injuries. I have followed her instructions and have not yet had any issues.

I walk as a warm up before and stretch after.
  • jrkingery
    jrkingery Posts: 107 Member
    Options

I walk as a warm up before and stretch after.

Likewise, I walk briskly for 5 minutes before and after a run and only stretch after my cooldown walk.