Head hurts, sleepy, need help. warning: a bit whiny

Options
Ok, I'm not generally one to complain, but the last two weeks I have had a constant tension headache and ridiculous fatigue, paired with ridiculous appetite, and I get home and don't want to do anything. Also noticing a decreased *desire* for other *ahem* exercises. Usually I don't have that problem AT ALL. I'm having to force myself to work out, and I know this may be unusual, but especially for my dance classes I'm usually excited to go because I like the endorphin rush I feel afterward.

I thought maybe I wasn't eating enough, I was eating a strict 1200 cals for the last month, trying to jumpstart myself and lose the last 50-60 pounds to my goal. Since then I've read a lot of great information, and found that with all the exercise I'm doing, I was not eating enough. I bumped way up. I tried a day at 1450, still hungry, tried 1600, still hungry. Granted, I can't eat very clean because I'm on the road and I'm eating hotel breakfasts and fast food, but usually I'm satisfied with no problem at 1200, even eating out most of the time. Yesterday I think I had close to 2000 and felt good. I'm going to stay between 1600 and 2000 for at least another week, to combat this ridiculous appetite, but I've been upping my calories all week and still feel this way. I lost 2 lbs this week like normal, even with upping my calories.

My mom told me the tension headaches could be my super long hair. I cut off 14 inches last night, still have the headache problem today. (btw that's not the only reason I cut it, but I thought, hey why not?)

I'm drinking 64-120 oz of water daily. It can't be dehydration.

I'm sleeping 7-8 hours every night, and sometimes a nap. I know I'm getting enough sleep.

It can't be stress. I have virtually 0 demands on me right now, as odd as it may sound. I travel for business with my husband, and the travel and expenses are paid for, I'm in a rental car and living in a Hilton, and I'm doing a bunch of paperwork/ grunt work to support a site, 25% of my usual workload. I'm basically in vacation mode.

I haven't had anything of the items I'm aware that I have allergies to (lactose intolerant and allergic for some reason to every kind of artificial sweetener, stevia included. I know it's odd since Stevia's all natural, but no joke, I get hives, also from Splenda.)

Let's be honest, my friend TOM should be visiting me next week, but I've never felt like this the week before, and before anyone guesses that TOM might not be coming and has rescheduled a visit for a much smaller more demanding friend to move in 9 months from now, that can't be possible either because for one, I wouldn't have so many issues so early on, and for two, we carefully guard against that specific friend coming to stay.

Am I just having an off week? Maybe about to get sick?

Replies

• its_betty
    its_betty Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I mostly wanted to say congrats on the weight loss so far. You must be doing something right!

And hang in there. Your appetite probably isn't ridiculous given the exercise that you are doing and your body's need to be nourished. So make sure you are eating enough. You don't mention how often you exercise, but maybe you could use a rest day? (A day off is fine so long as it doesn't turn into weeks off.) Or maybe some more relaxing forms of exercise, like nature walks and gentle yoga.

Sorry, no good advice for the headache (except taking advil and tylenol and having caffeine, the things that sometimes work for me).

Hope you feel better soon.
  • CupcakesAndRazorblades
    Options
    I've had a terrible headache for the last week and a half or so but I found out mine was due to a sinus infection gone wild. Have you had any colds recently? I hope that you feel better soon. Even if it's tough right now, you have come so far so don't let this get you down :)
  • Improvised
    Improvised Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    High/low blood pressure? If it doesnt clearnup soon, I would go See a doctor.
  • Danagirl28
    Options
    check sinuses, ear infection. cold, tooth infection, allergies (since you said you're travelling there may be something new), and if none of that works... have some REALLY good *ahem* exercise! :-) Seriously. It alters hormone balances, changes blood pressure, and just generally improves your mood, all of which could be causing the headache.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    I had constant headaches recently for over a week, this post has just made me realise they've now stopped...hopefully yours will too. If not any better in the next few days go and see your Dr.
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I would look to possible dietary needs first. I think you should schedule a physical and ask for vitamin D levels, as well as iron. I had a vitamin D deficiency, and I was a useless shell of my former self. I cannot possibly describe the misery that was that deficiency.
  • ossaca
    ossaca Posts: 3
    Options
    probably you foods are not balanced, you should ask a nutriologist (im not sure how it spells :p
    )
  • bi0nicw0man
    bi0nicw0man Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Are you sure it's a tension headache? I tend to get headaches that won't go away when I am in need of a trip to the massage therapist or chiropractor. Usually related to my neck, back or shoulder needing attention. Just a thought...

Also, you mention that you've upped your calories but are still quite hungry. You also say that you have to eat out often. Is it possible that you aren't getting enough nutritious food? It's not all just about how many calories...for energy you need some good protein, healthy fats, and complex carbs. When I'm feeling rundown I look at what I've been eating and usually notice I'm missing out on one or two of those things.

Hope you feel better soon!
  • squeakyfish
    squeakyfish Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Haha. My first thought when you said headaches, wanting to eat, and not having energy was that you might be pregnant. Those were my first indicators... The good news is that the headaches went away after a couple of weeks...;)
  • laurenbel
    Options
    ^^^^ I was thinking the same thing!
  • todayis4me
    todayis4me Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    My thought through reading it all was .....pregnant! Even being careful things can happen....and have happened....and yes you could experience many of the same things you are describing very early on.......Good luck either way...I also agree that you should get the headache checked out with your doc
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    Sounds like it could be related to actual physical tension in your shoulders, neck and even hips (yes, I know it sounds strange, but tightness in one area often presents itself in another!). Before you go to bed at night, do 10-15 minutes of deep stretching. I unconsciously clench my jaw, giving me horrible tension in my neck and shoulders which almost always ends in a headache. I even do it when I'm sleeping so I have to wear a mouth guard. Since getting the mouth guard I have way fewer headaches during the day. I was ultimately diagnosed with TMJ. You may not have that exactly, but other muscle tension will do it.

I would also suggest having a massage and visiting a chiropractor. If that helps, you found the problem!
  • zilliegirl
    zilliegirl Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    ???? ALLERGIES DO IT TO ME.
  • 5ftnFun
    5ftnFun Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    My thought through reading it all was .....pregnant! Even being careful things can happen....and have happened....and yes you could experience many of the same things you are describing very early on.......Good luck either way...I also agree that you should get the headache checked out with your doc

Agree. I had symptoms well before that first missed period. The morning I did an EPT, I had a nasty headache and went ahead & took 2 Excedrin. I took them because I was positive I was not, and could not ,be pregnant. Then, when the time was up, guess what? I was pregnant.

I don't know what is wrong, but I think a trip to the MD wouldn't be a bad idea. Thing is, there are so many things that could be making you feel this way. Including, should I dare say it.....pregnancy.
  • girlykate143
    girlykate143 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    What kind of exercise are you doing?
    I ask because I used to get horrible tension headaches about an hour after running. Sometimes, they'd never let up for days. Switched out my running shoes for some w/an orthotic, problem cleared up. Also, not eating enough after exercise does it for me.
    Also, go down your list of foods and see if there are any that could have triggered this. Could be gluten, could be fast food whatever MSG crap. dunno.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Ok, I'm not generally one to complain, but the last two weeks I have had a constant tension headache and ridiculous fatigue, paired with ridiculous appetite, and I get home and don't want to do anything. Also noticing a decreased *desire* for other *ahem* exercises. Usually I don't have that problem AT ALL. I'm having to force myself to work out, and I know this may be unusual, but especially for my dance classes I'm usually excited to go because I like the endorphin rush I feel afterward.

I thought maybe I wasn't eating enough, I was eating a strict 1200 cals for the last month, trying to jumpstart myself and lose the last 50-60 pounds to my goal. Since then I've read a lot of great information, and found that with all the exercise I'm doing, I was not eating enough. I bumped way up. I tried a day at 1450, still hungry, tried 1600, still hungry. Granted, I can't eat very clean because I'm on the road and I'm eating hotel breakfasts and fast food, but usually I'm satisfied with no problem at 1200, even eating out most of the time. Yesterday I think I had close to 2000 and felt good. I'm going to stay between 1600 and 2000 for at least another week, to combat this ridiculous appetite, but I've been upping my calories all week and still feel this way. I lost 2 lbs this week like normal, even with upping my calories.

My mom told me the tension headaches could be my super long hair. I cut off 14 inches last night, still have the headache problem today. (btw that's not the only reason I cut it, but I thought, hey why not?)

I'm drinking 64-120 oz of water daily. It can't be dehydration.

I'm sleeping 7-8 hours every night, and sometimes a nap. I know I'm getting enough sleep.

It can't be stress. I have virtually 0 demands on me right now, as odd as it may sound. I travel for business with my husband, and the travel and expenses are paid for, I'm in a rental car and living in a Hilton, and I'm doing a bunch of paperwork/ grunt work to support a site, 25% of my usual workload. I'm basically in vacation mode.

I haven't had anything of the items I'm aware that I have allergies to (lactose intolerant and allergic for some reason to every kind of artificial sweetener, stevia included. I know it's odd since Stevia's all natural, but no joke, I get hives, also from Splenda.)

Let's be honest, my friend TOM should be visiting me next week, but I've never felt like this the week before, and before anyone guesses that TOM might not be coming and has rescheduled a visit for a much smaller more demanding friend to move in 9 months from now, that can't be possible either because for one, I wouldn't have so many issues so early on, and for two, we carefully guard against that specific friend coming to stay.

Am I just having an off week? Maybe about to get sick?

Sounds like you are off on your minerals. What's you magnesium intake like? Do you track your potassium? (You can track sodium and potassium on you food diary). My guess is that it is your sodium that is way too high and your potassium way too low, especially if you have been eating out a lot---restaurant food is terrible for oversalting. My guess is that they oversalt because they slip a lot of sugar in to their stuff in order to "appeal to the customer's palate" (restaurant-speak for "We want to get them hooked on the taste and the food people tell us the best way to do that is to slip some sugar into everything.") Salt neutralizes the sweet taste and the customer is none the wiser. I had a shrimp/scallop salad recently at a national chain. I looked up the sodium content of the dish---was a whopping 1,800 mg! That's almost a whole days worth of salt! There was also a lot of sugar in it as well. What's funny is that I came home and was ravenous--couldn't figure out why until I saw the sugar and salt. Sugar is a big hunger-trigger in me. :frown:
  • macybean
    macybean Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    We "carefully guard" against that?

hahahahahahahaha

Wait, I'm sorry, I'm really not trying to be rude! I work in an ER. The rule is if you're of child bearing age and can't prove you don't have a uterus, pregnancy test you get.

Just do a test to rule it out.
  • thecakelocker
    thecakelocker Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Lol, I also thought pregnant immediately! guess I'm not the only one with these exact symptoms right in the beginning.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    You mentioned eating out a lot and I know you can't help it but maybe adding a multivitamin would help?
  • alexveksler
    alexveksler Posts: 409 Member
    Options

.....I'm drinking 64-120 oz of water daily. It can't be dehydration.

I am curious. Could this be too much water? Water has been documented (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_intoxication)