Weight Loss Stopped

Options
I have hit a plateau in my weight loss. I have not changed in year (hit 225 March of 2012). I have received comments about looking skinnier in last few weeks. I am just curious as to what can kick start it up again. i am 30 lbs off from my goal weight which is where my BMI "should be". Is fat being replaced with muscle? Will i hit a point where my weight willo drop off again? Just too many questions and no answers.

Just looking for any advice on what to do.

Replies

• luckyme404
    luckyme404 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Hi, I may not make many fans by this comment, but here it is. Sometimes when we hit a plateau, one way to jump start things again is to go on a semi fast...for ONE day only. Drink plenty of fluids, have calories in some of the drinks.. but actually feel hungry when you go to bed. It works for me. I'm old...and years and years ago, it was a common thing for people to go on a 2 day fast once a month. It cleansed the body and also, it 'shrunk' your stomach so you felt fuller sooner the next time you ate. Like I said, some people will disagree with me. And really, I don't believe in the 'starvation' mode that people say your body goes in when you limit the calories.
  • tray448
    tray448 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I don't know about the fast mode at least for me. I have tried it before and can never even last one day. I have also recently hit a plateau. I started dieting in march of last year and have lost 50 pounds. The last twenty seem to want to stay I have lost anything in a month and a half. However I keep trying and that's all I can do.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    how much are you eating? how are you working out? habits? need more information.

It's really... reallllly hard to give any helpful information without knowing more.

also, BMI is bunk. What's your BF%?
  • leanhulk
    leanhulk Posts: 19
    Options
    what are your macros like? post a typical day of what you're eating...? fasting wont help you, depending on how much carbs you're taking in you may need to lower them or refeed.
  • baja572
    baja572 Posts: 94
    Options
    one day fast was common when I was younger and it worked for me then...also increasing work outs worked too.
  • Larissa_Johnson
    Options
    Try a new exercise! I usually do treadmill or elliptical workouts and the last couple weeks I've started walking outside instead and doing some hiking with my hubby and my weight started moving down a little faster. Plus I'm having fun. :) Good Luck!
  • jontay81
    jontay81 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Eat less.

Buy a food scale. Weigh and log everything.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Do you take measurements? I'll find I am still losing inches even when the scale isn't changing.
  • skdandmkd
    skdandmkd Posts: 10
    Options
    I have been suffering that for the past 3 weeks. I know that doesn't compare with you but I understand. I was counting "points" if you know what I mean. It was great for 5 months (20 lb loss) but I have 30 more and really, really want it off by October.

Even though today is my first day on here, I'm already seeing that I eat only 1/2 my calories. Unfortunately, I skipped lunch but was still full from breakfast. They say "skipping" is bad for you. Is it?

I also noticed that I take in sodium but I'm not a put salt on everything person. I even by reduced or salt free foods. I guess somehow they still have something that breaks down to sodium. When I do, I use sea salt and that's during cooking. No wonder I feel bloated all the time.

I am very ashamed of my carb level today. (Only a 4" tortilla and 2 pieces of bread) It obviously is a bigger factor than I thought. If you have any tips how to really bring that down, please share.

I've read and had people tell me that if you eat more it breaks you through. I just can't eat if I'm not hungry! Just like I love water but can't drink it when it's cold outside. One 44 oz. green tea lasts me all day. Other days, I only drink with a meal and with my medication.

Several rave about "cleansing" or "detoxing". I've never tried them. I'm scared to!

I have family and friends pushing Advocare, Zeal, It Works, and so many others. It's driving me crazy. I just want to eat food. Healthy food. Wise portions. Lose weight.
  • Nightterror218
    Nightterror218 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    how much are you eating? how are you working out? habits? need more information.

It's really... reallllly hard to give any helpful information without knowing more.

My caloric intake is normally about 1700 a day and up to 2200 on gym days. I tend to lift 2 days a week and do cardio on those days (couch to 2 5k also). I just recently started to play indoor soccer once a week to do something active. I have a desk job and that is my life in a nut shell.
  • trogalicious
    Options
    They say "skipping" is bad for you. Is it?
    no. undereating is, though.
    I also noticed that I take in sodium but I'm not a put salt on everything person. I even by reduced or salt free foods. I guess somehow they still have something that breaks down to sodium. When I do, I use sea salt and that's during cooking. No wonder I feel bloated all the time.
    processed foods = more sodium.
    I am very ashamed of my carb level today. (Only a 4" tortilla and 2 pieces of bread) It obviously is a bigger factor than I thought. If you have any tips how to really bring that down, please share.
    carbs = not the devil. no need to eat less for any particular reason.
    I've read and had people tell me that if you eat more it breaks you through. I just can't eat if I'm not hungry! Just like I love water but can't drink it when it's cold outside. One 44 oz. green tea lasts me all day. Other days, I only drink with a meal and with my medication.
    it does help most. Eat more calorie rich foods. Less "diet/low-fat" versions of the same thing.
    Several rave about "cleansing" or "detoxing". I've never tried them. I'm scared to!

I have family and friends pushing Advocare, Zeal, It Works, and so many others. It's driving me crazy. I just want to eat food. Healthy food. Wise portions. Lose weight.
    Anyone pushing cleanses/detoxes/advocare/zeal need to be punched right directly in the eyeball. You have the right idea. Food. Good healthy food in the right proportions.
  • Nightterror218
    Options
    Do you take measurements? I'll find I am still losing inches even when the scale isn't changing.

I have lost some in my measurements and gained in others (like arms plus definition) but overall scale has not changed.
  • trogalicious
    Options

My caloric intake is normally about 1700 a day and up to 2200 on gym days. I tend to lift 2 days a week and do cardio on those days (couch to 2 5k also). I just recently started to play indoor soccer once a week to do something active. I have a desk job and that is my life in a nut shell.

have you calculated your BMR/TDEE?

http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

give that a look.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Open your diary as well for better answers.

And how do you measure your food? scale? measuring cups? eyeballing it?
  • ivaha5
    ivaha5 Posts: 1
    Options
    For what it's worth, I've recently lost a great deal of weight. The main key is the protein intake of your food and the source of it. Track every bite of food you eat. There's a place to do that in this site, you can even input your own recipes to see how it's broken down. You should be eating at LEAST 60 grams of protein a day, while making sure you're eating a low carb and fat diet. You'd be amazed at how full a high protein low carb meal makes you feel. Supplement with Whey Isolate Protein drinks and you're set.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,717 Member
    Options
    I recently broke a 3 month plateau by taking a total diet break. Ate at just under TDEE for 3 weeks, and then went back to my usual deficit. I think my body's response to 7 months of calorie restriction was to slow down the metabolism. Happily I didn't gain on the diet break, though did have some up and down fluctuations. It's early days yet, but the scale has moved this week. Next time I plateau I won't be so reluctant to try a diet break. After all I might as well be eating 1900 and not losing if I am not losing on 1350 either.
  • Nightterror218
    Options

give that a look.

BMR is 2016
    TDEE 2419
  • Nightterror218
    Options
    Open your diary as well for better answers.

And how do you measure your food? scale? measuring cups? eyeballing it?

I eye ball it.

My diary is open to friends.
  • trogalicious
    Options

give that a look.

BMR is 2016
    TDEE 2419
    My recommendation? Eat at or just below TDEE for a week or so. Yeah, all the way up there. Then slowly reduce down to 10% under TDEE. Try that for 4-6 weeks. Keep measuring, keep working out, just change the intake.

..and get some measuring cups and a food scale. It's so, seriously, very much worth it.
  • Nightterror218
    Options

give that a look.

BMR is 2016
    TDEE 2419
    My recommendation? Eat at or just below TDEE for a week or so. Yeah, all the way up there. Then slowly reduce down to 10% under TDEE. Try that for 4-6 weeks. Keep measuring, keep working out, just change the intake.

..and get some measuring cups and a food scale. It's so, seriously, very much worth it.

thanks