why are my excercise calories add to my overall calorie inta

Options
Hi there!

I'm trying to understand why each time I exercise, those calories are added to my daily calories. Isn't the idea to eat less calories, not add to it. I'm sure there is a logical explaination, I'm just not getting it. Any information is appreciated!

Replies

• TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    Please go read the 'sticky' notes-they are the ones with red push pins. They will explain everything for you in depth about eating your calories. In short: eat most if not all because MPF has already put you at a deficit and you need to restock those cals or possibly end up starving yourself.

Here is a link:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/9-general-diet-and-weight-loss-help
  • thesame5lbs
    thesame5lbs Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I wondered exactly the same thing!
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    TheMaidOfAstolat has given you the links go some great posts/resources.

MFP adds your exercise calories to your daily calories because it has already factored a deficit into your calorie allotment.
    Personally, my body doesn't do well with a very high calorie deficit so I eat my exercise calories. If I don't eat them, my metabolism slows down and I don't lose weight. This is what I've learned about myself after 10 months. You'll learn what works for you. In short, it's important to fuel your body and starving yourself is never a good idea. :wink:
  • chandnikhondji
    chandnikhondji Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    From what i understand that happens because you are supposed to eat them. The daily goal is already a deficit to lose weight. When you now exercise you burn even more calories which leads to a higher deficit, which can make your body cling to the fat because it thinks you are going to starve yourself.
  • jemila24
    jemila24 Posts: 9
    Options
    Wow! You guys are awesome. This information is soooo helpful. I have been eating my exercise calories and just wanted to make sure I was doing it right. Thanks all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)