Nordic pole walking

Options
I've heard a little bit about it and I'm wondering if anyone has tried it, or knows if it works as well as the claims, or anything else about it. I've seen something call "trekking poles" at Walmart (in Canada) which are reasonably priced and I'm thinking about getting them for the warmer months (right now I'm using my treadmill). Also, does anybody know about the calorie burn you get using those things? This site doesn't have them in the exercises database as far as I can tell.

Replies

• jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    From what I've heard- you should have proper training but it can burn a lot more than walking.
  • liesevanlingen
    liesevanlingen Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    This is a uk site but info might be useful

http://nordicwalking.co.uk/
  • deblena
    deblena Posts: 2
    Options
    Nordic Pole Walking is a really good exercise. I have written about the benefits and there is a video showing you how to walk use the Nordic pole on this website http://nutritiontherapy.ca/nordic-walking/nordic-pole-walking/
  • Pinkylee77
    Pinkylee77 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    That was a very interesting article. I use Nordic Poles when ever I hike it is a great workout,
  • cynma
    cynma Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Hi I also nordic walk. I live in Ontario Canada I have used them for the last couple of years. I love it. If you have an iphone there is a app called walktastic. It has nordic walking on it that will track time, cals, calories burned etc. They call the poles different names depending where you get them. We just got a Target in my city and I saw them there for $24.00 Pretty good I paid almost $80.00 for mine but it came with a dvd. The internet has also different videos you can watch to help you learn. The trick is to walk swinging your arms like the poles are not in your hand. Eg When you walk without poles normally down the street notice that your right hand and your left leg are in front when you take a step then it switches. Hope this makes scents. Anyway they look like adjustable ski poles no mater what the name. Mine are called urban ploles my friends are walking poles. Hope this helps try it out and have fun. Add me as a friend if you would like.
  • liesevanlingen
    liesevanlingen Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    The ones I saw at Walmart (here in Toronto) were $14.00 and they were called trekking poles, in the camping section. I'm planning to get them there as it is more affordable than most of the options I've seen. Thanks for the links! I don't have an iphone so those will help. I will check out some of those videos you mentioned, cymna.

All the responses are much appreciated!
  • tbfx
    tbfx Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi, I use cheapo poles that I think are the same ones sold at Walmart. I started using them when I started fitness walking again after breaking both of my tibial plateaus -- they assist me with my balance, take some of the load off my knees, add an upper body work out and up your calorie burn if you are doing it right. If you are walking on concrete or asphalt, and using the Walmart poles, you will probably want to buy replacement feet as the rubber cap feet will wear out very quickly. I use the stansport feet which I buy on Amazon and they fit my no-brand poles fine. Some studies say 20% more calorie burn than walking but it's somewhat controversial especially if you are walking on fairly level ground. I use MFP's 3.5 mph walking calorie burn number, and base my minutes on how long it would take to walk the distance I actually walked at 3.5 (I know that I'm walking a little slower than that).
  • Pinkylee77
    Pinkylee77 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I have used the cheaper ones but I wore them out. I believe you get what you pay for and if you use them often you need good ones. I like the ones with speed adjustments rather than the kind you have to twist to adjust and tighten.