30 yr old female with Hysterectomy ????

Options

Replies

• PamelaGatorMom
    PamelaGatorMom Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Had mine in my 30’s as well and I couldn’t even drive till 10 days afterwards. My doctor told me in a couple weeks you will THINK you feel fine, and you may try to do laundry, or vacuum but DON’T!! The healing is on the inside of our bodies so we can’t see it, and it takes the inside to heal twice as long as the outside.
    For now I would just watch your calorie intake.
  • Bownzi
    Bownzi Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    My wife had that around 30, she was hurting because of the cuts in the abdominat walls.
  • bluestarlight19
    bluestarlight19 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Your internal organs haven't gone back into position yet and regrown the connective tissue that was messed up by the surgery. Also it takes a minimum of 6 weeks for your abdominal muscles to fully heal and close the incisions that were made in it to get to your abdomen. You should only be doing small walks at this point, nothing like ab work or zumba. Way too much. I would call your doctor and tell him what you did, you could have herniated something.
  • taz69tazz
    taz69tazz Posts: 57
    Options
    What type of hysterectomy did you have? I had a laparascopic assisted vaginal hysterectomy and I was feeling better after about 3 weeks. By feeling better, I mean able to buckle my seatbelt and drive without having to put a pillow on my stomach. When I went for my post-op appointment, though, my doctor still found undissolved stitches after 4 weeks and told me to still take it easy so I didn't rip any of the stitches. My advice to you-walk if you want to exercise, but don't do anything too strenuous. While you may feel great and look great on the outside, your inside is still healing.

I had a abdominal Hysterectomy , which they cut me i have like a foot long cut going up and down
  • taz69tazz
    Options
    Definitely way too soon!

It's difficult to wait, I can understand, but you *NEED* to give your body time to heal internally or else you can do a lot of damage. My surgeon told me it takes a good 5-8 weeks to heal properly -- sometimes longer, depending on the person.

I am 34, and I had a total hyst 2 years ago (due to fibroid complications). As I healed, I did some simple things like going out for short walks and playing a bit on the Wii Fit. But absolutely NO lifting and twisting.

Edited to add that my hysterectomy was via an abdominal extraction (almost a 6" incision in the abdomen). This is the hyst with the longest recovery time. Sometimes they can extract it vaginally - which lessens recovery time - however, my uterus was too large for that. Laparoscopic Hysts also have shorter healing times, but they don't do them here where I live.

I had the same type of surgey as u did but my incision was like a foot long going up and down .. straight down from my belly button
  • RATSMITH69
    RATSMITH69 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    What type of hysterectomy did you have? I had a laparascopic assisted vaginal hysterectomy and I was feeling better after about 3 weeks. By feeling better, I mean able to buckle my seatbelt and drive without having to put a pillow on my stomach. When I went for my post-op appointment, though, my doctor still found undissolved stitches after 4 weeks and told me to still take it easy so I didn't rip any of the stitches. My advice to you-walk if you want to exercise, but don't do anything too strenuous. While you may feel great and look great on the outside, your inside is still healing.

I had a abdominal Hysterectomy , which they cut me i have like a foot long cut going up and down

Goodness......... I agree with most everyone else - TAKE IT EASY - to soon to be even trying to work out.

Another note, are you having regular bowel movements? Any gurgling going on in there? I had a LAVH (laparoscopic) but the anesthesia really messed with my gastric system.
  • breezylou2
    breezylou2 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the help and the concern .. i am going to take it easy , i just thought i was fine (had no pain whats so ever), but i got to put my weight loss on hold and just watch my intake

You don't have to put weight loss on hold. You lose weight in the kitchen, you get fit in the gym. If you follow the intake guidelines that MFP sets for you by default, you will lose weight if you set your activity level to little to no activity.

I had a hysterectomy in August, I wasn't even allowed to walk for exercise for 6 weeks, they didn't want me doing anything physically demanding. I couldn't even go to the grocery store by myself because I wasn't allowed to push the cart.

Take it easy. Its whats good for you right now.
  • sugar_cookie31
    Options
    I had a hysterecty at 28 and hurt myself by going back to cheer to soon, I ripped scar tissue and caused my bladder to fall! Stop Zumba!
  • dangerousdumpling
    dangerousdumpling Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    Ditto everyone. I just wanted to add that it would benefit you to register on hystersisters.com. There are tons of women on there who are either preparing for or recovering from a hysterectomy. You can read an ongoing thread with posts from women who had their hysterectomies the same week as you so you can compare your recovery somewhat. Everyone is different. The only women I saw who were working out so soon after their hysterectomy were women who had a LAVH and who were already very fit and working out before their hysterectomy. About four weeks after my LAVH I started walking slowly for about 10-15 minutes. Two months later I tried low impact aerobics and it was too much for me. I gave it another month before I tried it again. The point is if it causes pain don't do it. Don't do anything that will cause pain, cause complications, or in any way lengthen your recovery. You want to recover only once, right? Like others have said, you have serious internal healing going on so rest and let it happen. Complete internal healing could take 6 months to a year. Concentrate on healthy eating at a deficit and you can still lose weight.

The pain that you're experiencing is probably inflammation from too much activity, but I think you should call your Dr just to make sure and just to make them aware. You never know because it's internal. Some women tear stitches and don't know it.
  • lawre028
    lawre028 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I absolutely agree with CheveuxNoirs, I had the LAVH and experienced just about every bad outcome. And that was following Doctor's orders. Are you taking NSAIDS?? Have you experienced prolonged or excessive bruising? Are you having regular BM's . Sorry for being so explicit, but Bowel shut- down is not only one of THE Most painful conditions, its also quite dangerous. www.hystersisters.com is the best site. I had my surgery over 8 years ago and I still get occasional e-mail from them just checking in. Please follow CheveuxNoirs's advise, Call your doctor and take it easy.. Also go to hystersister's it is a very helpful site.
  • taz69tazz
    Options

Goodness......... I agree with most everyone else - TAKE IT EASY - to soon to be even trying to work out.

Another note, are you having regular bowel movements? Any gurgling going on in there? I had a LAVH (laparoscopic) but the anesthesia really messed with my gastric system.

yes im have regular bowel movements. .. i did get Pneumonia with the anesthesia they said it got in my lungs somehow and flarred them up .. i couldnt sleep for about 4 days becuz i felt like i was suffercating
  • taz69tazz
    Options
    Ditto everyone. I just wanted to add that it would benefit you to register on hystersisters.com. There are tons of women on there who are either preparing for or recovering from a hysterectomy. You can read an ongoing thread with posts from women who had their hysterectomies the same week as you so you can compare your recovery somewhat. Everyone is different. The only women I saw who were working out so soon after their hysterectomy were women who had a LAVH and who were already very fit and working out before their hysterectomy. About four weeks after my LAVH I started walking slowly for about 10-15 minutes. Two months later I tried low impact aerobics and it was too much for me. I gave it another month before I tried it again. The point is if it causes pain don't do it. Don't do anything that will cause pain, cause complications, or in any way lengthen your recovery. You want to recover only once, right? Like others have said, you have serious internal healing going on so rest and let it happen. Complete internal healing could take 6 months to a year. Concentrate on healthy eating at a deficit and you can still lose weight.

The pain that you're experiencing is probably inflammation from too much activity, but I think you should call your Dr just to make sure and just to make them aware. You never know because it's internal. Some women tear stitches and don't know it.

Thanks for the website .. This is my first surgery i have ever had and i really didnt know all the facts thats why i threw the ??? out there but i will take all of yalls advice
  • weevil66
    weevil66 Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Glad you are going to take it easy now. It takes a while to recover. You only get one chance at recovering so please heed what everybody says. I had a supracervical abdominal hysterectomy w/bilateral bso a year ago and it was months before I could resume a lot of my regular activities, even push the vacuum or shopping cart around. I walked a lot though and watched what I ate.
  • taz69tazz
    Options
    I absolutely agree with CheveuxNoirs, I had the LAVH and experienced just about every bad outcome. And that was following Doctor's orders. Are you taking NSAIDS?? Have you experienced prolonged or excessive bruising? Are you having regular BM's . Sorry for being so explicit, but Bowel shut- down is not only one of THE Most painful conditions, its also quite dangerous. www.hystersisters.com is the best site. I had my surgery over 8 years ago and I still get occasional e-mail from them just checking in. Please follow CheveuxNoirs's advise, Call your doctor and take it easy.. Also go to hystersister's it is a very helpful site.

No im not taking NSAIDS he gave me some but i dont feel like i need them.. Yes im having regular BM's.. i was doing fine till crazy me decided to do a lil zumba.. which i only did like the arm movements and like jogged in place(2 days).. but yes i am taking very easy and i am taking ibprohen for the swellen and the inflamation
  • skinnybitchbarbie27
    skinnybitchbarbie27 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Not trying to be "that person" but......

TALK TO YOUR DOCTOR.

No one on this site is even medically qualified to answer this. Be in contact with your provider.
  • Bettyeditor
    Bettyeditor Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I just had a Complete Hysterectomy done like 3 weeks ago and im still bloating and hurting in my abdmonal area does anyone know what might be causing the pain? ive been doing Zumba for like 2 days now ...

WHAT??!?!?! *faints* I had a complete hysterectomy at 34 and it was EIGHT WEEKS before I was allowed to lift anything as heavy as a carton of milk!! (I'm assuming you had an abdominal surgery not laproscopic?) It is VERY EASY to rip your stitches. You are incredibly delicate inside right now. PLEASE don't do ANY excerise of ANY kind other than gentle walking. You can always dial back your calories a bit until you can exercise again and you won't gain weight. But the kind of complications you can get after a hyterectomy are SERIOUS. If you get scar tissue that can set off a series of additional surgeries. Your body cavity is very delicate right now! You just took a large organ out! Everything is struggling to not shift around. Its very easy to get a prolapsed bladder. My surgery was about 5 years ago but I still have bladder issues.

PLEASE check with your doctor and be VERY careful. I strongly urge that you join a great community like HysterSisters.com where others who have had the surgery before you can give you advice and where you can find awesome resources about what to expect and how to take care of yourself.

Good luck on your recovery! :flowerforyou:
  • Bettyeditor
    Bettyeditor Posts: 327 Member
    Options

No im not taking NSAIDS he gave me some but i dont feel like i need them.. Yes im having regular BM's.. i was doing fine till crazy me decided to do a lil zumba.. which i only did like the arm movements and like jogged in place(2 days).. but yes i am taking very easy and i am taking ibprohen for the swellen and the inflamation

You JOGGED? After abdominal surgery? Especially one that creates a big empty space like a missing uterus? *faints again*

PLEASE call your doctor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • dakitten2
    dakitten2 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Not trying to be "that person" but......

TALK TO YOUR DOCTOR.

No one on this site is even medically qualified to answer this. Be in contact with your provider.

I don't think you are "that person" because a lot of us in our posts advised her to talk to her doctor. I think many shared their experiences after having the same surgery (including me) but we also encouraged her to call her doctor. Each person is different, as well as each doctor.
  • taz69tazz
    Options
    I went to the doctor and he said everything was fine ... thanks everyone
  • mohanj
    mohanj Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I had my Hysterectomy done(Laparoscopy) when I was 54. Except a few days in the beginning after the surgery, I had no pain but I did listen to the doctor and put a hold on exercise for 6 weeks. Even when I resumed, I did not lift weights or strenuous exercises for few more months and stick to more walking. I had heard from one of my friends that because of the gap created in the abdomen after the Hysterectomy, the urinary bladder came down (prolapsed bladder) and she needed to have a second surgery to correct it. I wanted to be cautious and avoid the second surgery and let my body heal before I attempt any strenuous exercise. Please do consult your doctor if you still have bloating and pain.