great NPR story about antibiotics in our meat

Options
I found this to be a very interesting segment on npr that I would like to share with you. Its about the antibiotics that are in a majority of our (the US) meat and how potentially dangerous that is. It's an insightful listen if you have the time. I downloaded the mp3 at work and listened to it. Yet another reason why I'm glad I no longer eat animal products.

http://onpoint.wbur.org/2013/04/04/antibiotics-and-meat

"Antibiotics and the meat we eat. The volumes are huge. Maybe breeding superbugs. We look for a better way.

Everybody knows the basic issue with antibiotics. Overuse them, or casually use them, and you undercut the miraculous effectiveness of one of the most important classes of drugs humans have ever found.

Now here’s a shocker: today, 80 percent of all antibiotics sold in the United States are sold for animals. For livestock. For feed. The meat we eat is overwhelmingly produced in a factory farm system that floats on massive use of antibiotics. Now farms are producing the antibiotic-resistant superbugs that kill."

Replies

• suv_hater
    suv_hater Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Great post.

I don't eat meat either but I think people who do should seek out HEALTHY meat from HEALTHY animals. You can't really expect to be healthy eating meat and dairy from tortured, abused, malnourished, drugged up creatures.
  • Uhhhlexxxis
    Uhhhlexxxis Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    `^^^THIS.
    Food Inc is why I stopped eating meat in the first place, and for obvious reasons I'm very content without!
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    I still eat meat, but we only buy pasture raised, grass fed ABX free animals. My kids are 5 and 3 and they have never needed antibiotics in their life. We aren't anal about it (like if we're at a restaurant) but I think I've done a pretty good job of keeping abx out of our diets. Same goes for our eggs, backyard chickens!
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    I still eat meat, but we only buy pasture raised, grass fed ABX free animals. My kids are 5 and 3 and they have never needed antibiotics in their life. We aren't anal about it (like if we're at a restaurant) but I think I've done a pretty good job of keeping abx out of our diets. Same goes for our eggs, backyard chickens!

this!

wish i could have backyard chickens in NYC...
  • highervibes
    Options

this!

wish i could have backyard chickens in NYC...

They aren't legal here either, but they aren't a bother to anyone who can't be paid off in eggs :p
  • BiscuitsNDavy
    BiscuitsNDavy Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I want backyard chickens!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    Yay, another anti meat thread.........................................I want some BACON with antibiotics in it now.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • highervibes
    Options
    Yay, another anti meat thread.........................................I want some BACON with antibiotics in it now.

IDEA Fitness member

I don't think it's anti meat. I think it's anti-antibiotics lol I love bacon as well and would love some also, but no thanks to the abx.
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    No antibiotics in my meat. I buy only 100% grassfed/pastured.
  • naschulze
    naschulze Posts: 98
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

I'd like to point out that just because you don't personally care, doesn't mean the problem ceases to exist. If you listen to the segment you'll find it's a very real and very serious issue. Credentials mean nothing if you're not willing to accept new information.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

I'd like to point out that just because you don't personally care, doesn't mean the problem ceases to exist. If you listen to the segment you'll find it's a very real and very serious issue. Credentials mean nothing if you're not willing to accept new information.
    This isn't new information though. It's been around for at least 30 years or more.

IDEA Fitness member
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member
    Yeah this isn't an anti-meat thread. Lol