Eating before/after workout

Options
Hi everyone

I've been reading a lot of posts discussing eating before and after a workout. This might seem like a stupid question but if you eat before and after the workout doesn't the workout become invalid as you have just eaten what you burned? Maybe I don't understand?

At the gym I do 45-60min of cardio (or I go for a 5 mile run). This burns about 500-600 calories (I have a heart monitor). Then I do weights eg squats and shoulder press's together then stomach work. I try to mix up my workouts with running.

I get confused as to how much of anything I should eat. People sat eat chicken before a workout, but how much? How much peanut butter should I have? I hate milk so protein shakes are out plus aren't they high in calories??

Should I be increasing my calorie burn? I've had a weight for a long time and recently made foolish choices about food. Help is defo needed!!

Thanks in advance!!

PS my boyfriend has stated taking CLA supplements and he is getting really toned-any thoughts about these??

Replies

• Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    As long as you're within an overall calorie deficit you will lose weight.

Whether you choose to eat before/during/after a workout is entirely up to you.
  • WandaVonDunajew
    WandaVonDunajew Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I work out fasted, drink a protein shake immediately after and then when I get home I eat a protein-rich meal with veggies a nd some carbs (sweet potato usually) and maybe some fruit. You can mix a protein powder with water, still tastes good. I use ON gold standard 100% whey, a serving is 120 cals and 24 g of protein, it helps my muscles recover after working out. If I were a beginner, id recommend eating something very light before working out (40 mins before- maybe a banana), and then have the bulk of my food after the workout, to nourish my muscles. High protein-medium carb for weight lifting, lower carb if just cardio and you are looking to lose some fat.
  • JSUGamecockFan
    JSUGamecockFan Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above - I wouldn't not eat before a workout. But it's up to you. At least a small snack, nothing too calorie-laden, with quick digesting carbs to fuel your workout would probably be best. If you're doing weights, there are lots of options for post-workout shakes that have nothing to do wtih milk. Check out the Isopure protein line - clear drinks that taste pretty decent cold. As to CLA, I take it, and I'm sure study to study people would argue, but here's one point of view:

http://www.shape.com/weight-loss/weight-loss-strategies/ask-diet-doctor-will-cla-help-you-lose-weight

All in all, nothing beats a good diet and exercise game plan.
  • crunchienugget
    crunchienugget Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    So basically after the workout have the spaghetti bolognese without the spaghetti? I'll try this for a few weeks see how it goes. I just find it very difficult to stay to a 1200 cal diet and do lots of workouts. I used to not eat at all but I didn't exercise and I did lose weight but now I exercise and feel hungry all the time!!
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Eat when you're hungry.

/thread
  • kachnienka
    Options
    Hello,

(I base my answer on what I've heard once from a trainer in the gym :) )

He said that some food after training is important to regenerate your muscles. He said that many people (including me then;) ) do this mistake that they don't eat after their workout in the gym, and it's essential to have some carbs and proteine intake within 30 minutes after your training otherwise your body won't burn only your fat but will also burn your muscles which are easy source of energy for our bodies. I have after the gym shake made of :1 banana and 30 grams of vanilla protein concentrate (1 average banana has +/- 100 kcal and 30g of proteine powder mixed with water has around 150 kcal so all together 250 kcal)

Last year I've lost around 22lbs, I'm 25 years old, 170 cm tall and weight 63,5 kgs , I was counting calories + going to the gym/fitness 2-3 times a week but didn't do all this carb and protein thing( because then I I thought it's better not to eat after your training) , I've slimmed down and maintained weight on the same level but I didn't understand why I still had so high fat level in my body (it was around 30% ) since beginning January I made changes and after each training I have my banana-proteine shake and now my weight is still around 63-64 but fat level has decreased to 26% and I see a big differences in the way my body look! :)

I decided to banana-proteine shake because it's the easiest and the quickest for me to have after the workout.

I'm taking CLA and I've observed that it suppresses my appetite, I take it twice a day, 30 minutes after breakfast and 30 minutes before training
  • Loisxyz
    Loisxyz Posts: 17
    Options
    If your doing lots of workouts and only eating 1200 calories pd you are not eating enough! No wonder you feel hungry!
  • Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    If your doing lots of workouts and only eating 1200 calories pd you are not eating enough! No wonder you feel hungry!

^This